ride london stsrt times

1234568»

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    Looks like entire embankment route will be shut -- signs all along it now (I just got back from a route that overlapped considerably & they've put up the tow away zone signs already). Really unclear how I'm going to be able to cut across as the only other option is through Westminster/the mall! I'm hoping they will at least provide details when we pick up our timing chips etc.

At this point I'm looking at it as a big fun day out celebrating cycling. I know I can do the route 16+ mph solo -- so I will just pootle along in the sub 13 band in which I've been placed & enjoy the day ... assuming I can make it to the start.
  • nellie72
    nellie72 Posts: 49
    Hi, I am driving up from Brighton and will be (hopefully) be parking at my office in the city before riding out to the olympic park. I am planning on heading straight up the A23, aiming for elephant and castle, over london bridge and then up Bishopsgate. As far as I can tell from the information provided this will all be possible as the route is unaffected by road closures. Anybody know any different to this?
    Canyon Endurace CF SL 9.0 Ultegra di2
    Reilly Gradient GRX600
    Dawes Super Galaxy
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    nellie72 wrote:
    Hi, I am driving up from Brighton and will be (hopefully) be parking at my office in the city before riding out to the olympic park. I am planning on heading straight up the A23, aiming for elephant and castle, over london bridge and then up Bishopsgate. As far as I can tell from the information provided this will all be possible as the route is unaffected by road closures. Anybody know any different to this?

If you download the final instructions PDF from the website (found it easily on a pc but can't navigate to it on the mobile/tablet site for some reason) it tells you which river crossings are closed and when. It seems most are closed.

Edit: http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/A ... ctions.pdf

Seems London Bridge is unaffected.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bikergirl17
    The river closures clear -- but the tfl map is not and that's what is relevant to me. On that my entire neighbourhood is shut from 5 am. All we need are: coming from west London go here ... Central London go here. I'm not sure how local is local unless I lived in Stratford. Or I leave at 4 am.

I looked at the PDF / starter pack and it doesn't help.
  • bikergirl17
    I just found another set of closure maps. My *street* is closed from 5 am until 7:15 that night. So if I do get out I'm not getting home. This is truly frustrating.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You can use parallel routes and walk across the closed roads.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • nellie72
    nellie72 Posts: 49
    Or I leave at 4 am.

I'm leaving at 4am from Brighton :cry:
    Canyon Endurace CF SL 9.0 Ultegra di2
    Reilly Gradient GRX600
    Dawes Super Galaxy
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Im staying about 5 miles away and will be leaving about 4am to allow for me getting lost a few times on the way to the start :oops:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I'm staying about 1 mile away and will be walking there on the afternoon before, to make sure I know what the fark I'm doing the next morning :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    I'm still wondering how the hell I'm going to get back to my hotel next to the Olympic park from the Mall... :-(
  • I know what you mean. I think a slow 8 mile ride back on the A11 to Stratford is my simplest (nearly said easiest) option. Hopefully, my better half will be at the finish area with a recovery drink or three.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Just been reading the literature, they are laying on free ferries for participants from Blackfriars to Canary Wharf & beyond.

I have to get back to Mile End and will account for as many eventualities as possible.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    I'm still wondering how the hell I'm going to get back to my hotel next to the Olympic park from the Mall... :-(

+1

With all the road closures im not sure if this will be easy or not?
  • I'm still wondering how the hell I'm going to get back to my hotel next to the Olympic park from the Mall... :-(

I expect the Pro-Race will have passed the Mall by 1pm so they will be starting to open the roads by then. If you finish before the Pro Race starts, you'll be able to cross an empty road at one of the crossing points before the Pro-Race arrives
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    I have spoken to someone who works for TFL on the RideLondon project and they have passed on the concerns about the lack of communication to people who are cycling to the start. Whether it produces any more info, we'll have to see.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Mikey1976 wrote:

+1

With all the road closures im not sure if this will be easy or not?

Just spent the morning working out the logistics of this trip. We are staying in a pub in Drayton (whole other issue on there! :lol: ) and have worked out 3 mile cycle down to start in the morning. Getting back depends on the road closure for the pro race. I'm assuming that most of these will have been lifted towards the east as the race will have passed by the time we are finshed and ready to leave.

Alternatively, the riders and bike ferry to Canary Wharf will work, allowing us to come back up to the east of the Olympic Park
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    If you look at the road closure information for each borough on the TFL website, which is a bit convoluted to find all the information, as pointed out above, they do restart opening roads pretty much as soon as the Pro riders have gone through each section. So by the time the majority of Ride London 100 competitors get to The Mall, the roads North of Green Park will be open again.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336

I'm staying near the Olympic park and plan on getting that Thames Clipper they have laid on back to Trinity buoy wharf. Is only 4 miles from there. In the magazine it doesn't say if you can take your bike but I presume you can as its been laid on for cyclists
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    simona75 wrote:

I'm staying near the Olympic park and plan on getting that Thames Clipper they have laid on back to Trinity buoy wharf. Is only 4 miles from there. In the magazine it doesn't say if you can take your bike but I presume you can as its been laid on for cyclists

You can take your bike on the clipper. It says so in the magazine, p27.

"....will carry 50 participants and their bikes......"
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    oneof1982 wrote:
    You can take your bike on the clipper. It says so in the magazine, p27.

"....will carry 50 participants and their bikes......"

Oops, will read it properly next time :) Could be a nice way to travel if the weather is fine (remember taking this during tube strikes)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361

I have car park booked less than 2 miles from the Mall. Happy to give you a life back, if you don't mind slinging your bike in the back of my Focus estate with mine.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Just received an e-mail in my inbox to say that the Temple Mills Lane Entrance (the black start area) has been closed due to construction work so participants will have to use either of the other two entrances.

I was planning to use that entrance as my way in.
    Surprising after what must be a huge amount of planning that this issue has only just been made aware of!

• brettjmcc
    I still have no idea how to get across from the Car Park in Shaftesbury. I assume you'll now have to loop round massively?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    brettjmcc wrote:

I have car park booked less than 2 miles from the Mall. Happy to give you a life back, if you don't mind slinging your bike in the back of my Focus estate with mine.

Ohh - I might hold you to that brettjmcc! Many thanks for the offer! I've got a London pal who lives in Hackney who's not riding the event but might meet me at the finish and ride back. Just waiting on a heads up.
  • brettjmcc
    No problem, I am starting at 6:31 apparently; but training has not gone how I thought (family commitments and a bought of food poisoning), so I am probably going over 6 hours now. PM if you want to meet up at the end

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Maybe i'm being daft but i'm just going ride there from North London and follow the thousands of other cyclists :lol:
  • thorny88
    thorny88 Posts: 34
    ^^ me too!
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I still have no idea how to get across from the Car Park in Shaftesbury. I assume you'll now have to loop round massively?
    It should all be signposted . Well thats what the instructions say and that's what im relying on. My biggest issue is getting in with bike on roof. Going to have to take it off and lock it up then drive in and run down me thinks.
    Insert witty signature here