ride london stsrt times

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I got my start time by email last Friday, with the promise of more information in the post which hasn't arrived yet. I put my estimated time down as 6 hours. This is the email they sent me:
    There are two starts for the event; both at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, labelled the Blue start and the Black start.

Each start has 19 different waves and below is your recommended time to get to QEOP, the loading time of your wave and your actual start time.

Your arrival time at QEOP: 05:54

Your personal load time is: 06:18

Your Personal start time: 06:54

Please do make sure you are not late.

Since QEOP has undergone a huge amount of redevelopment work since the Olympics, it is unlikely that you will recognise the features of the park, so please do give yourself plenty of time to get from the edge of the Park to the start area, which is adjacent to iCity (previously the International Broadcast Centre).

Early waves have been allocated to faster riders and each wave will feature riders of a similar ability.

Detailed plans of the start and the facilities at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park are in the post to you in your Final Instructions magazine. This will also give you details of the Prudential RideLondon Cycling Show at ExCel from 1-3 August where you will pick up your timing device and rider documents.
  • Start point is where the broadcast centre was (which is up near the hockey pitches were for any one that went to the olympics/paralympics) its about 3/4 mile from the prem inn.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think we are in the Holiday in Stratford. Have cancelled breakfast lol.

Nothing in the post today. Looking forward to receiving magazine/details.

I have a charity place and have never received anything from RideLondon.
    Friend said his charity forwarded the 'congratulations' mag that successful ballot entrants got.
    How many magazines have there been? Did anyone else with a charity place get the 'congratulations' one?

Going to check out Leith Hill on Sunday :evil:
    Anyone know if there is a loop I can put in my Garmin that takes in all the hilly sections of the ride?
  • martinperry
    martinperry Posts: 127
    You are welcome to pull my GPX from strava - does all the significant hills - I found a little capark near leatherhead to start from
    http://app.strava.com/activities/49552330
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Carbonator wrote:

How many magazines have there been? Did anyone else with a charity place get the 'congratulations' one?

Going to check out Leith Hill on Sunday :evil:
    Anyone know if there is a loop I can put in my Garmin that takes in all the hilly sections of the ride?

There's only been one mag. (got in via ballot so can't answer your other question).

Here's a map my ride route of a ride I did twice last Saturday (drove over from Kent so wanted to make the most of it). Takes in the three main climbs, 36 mile loop, 2750 ft of climb.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/232662181

I think you should be able to download a gpx file from that page. It's all on the RL100 route except the section along the top from east to west. To be honest there are probably better ways of linking the two ends of the loop, but I don't know the area. Leith Hill second time round was not easy! It's funny how many non-cyclists are aghast at the prospect of riding up Box Hill but actually, it's a piece of pi$$!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Shackster wrote:
    It's funny how many non-cyclists are aghast at the prospect of riding up Box Hill but actually, it's a piece of pi$$!
    Only cos they've never heard of Leith Hill. I've done Leith hill a few times, now, and I don't like it any more than the first time. Ironically, I hate the bit after it eases off even more than I hate the steep section, since it just seems to go on for ever.

There'll be a lot of walkers on Leith Hill for sure.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Anonymous
    Shackster wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Here's a map my ride route of a ride I did twice last Saturday (drove over from Kent so wanted to make the most of it). Takes in the three main climbs, 36 mile loop, 2750 ft of climb.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/232662181

Cheers Shackster. We are making a bit of a trek so I would like to try it twice too ideally.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    How does Leigh hill compare to this segment/hill I rode on Sunday, i've done box hill, but that was when I first started cycling last year, was in a shorts and T-shirt, Vans trainers, heavy backpack and had already ridden 45 miles, I had to walk some of it! :mrgreen:

http://app.strava.com/segments/1088615

I'm hoping now after putting the miles in that it wont be too much bother..........
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Leith Hill is a bit steeper but a mile shorter. One of the many segments:

http://app.strava.com/segments/4230263
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Has anyone actually received the information pack that was 'in the post' on Friday?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Shackster wrote:
    Leith Hill is a bit steeper
    Ah, the master of understatement :)

That's like saying Dawn French is a little chubbier than Jennifer Saunders.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmodo
    VO2min wrote:
    Has anyone actually received the information pack that was 'in the post' on Friday?
    Mine just arrived today, and yes I am riding on a charity place as I didn't get in via the ballot. Their FAQ says you should receive it this week (ending 5 July), if not phone their help line.
  • I reckon I'm last on the road. I have an 8am start time... Just hope that I can make it by the cut off time.

In terms of hills, neither Leith nor Box are particularly difficult. In fact, Box is a dream - find me a smoother climb in England and I'll give you 5p (all I can afford).

For newbies, it's the distance (plus the extra 5-10 miles getting into/out of the exclusion zones at the start and finish) that will be the challenge. It's certainly the thing I'm most concerned about (I've struggled to get the miles in due to an ongoing knee issue).

If anyone's interested, I wrote this post on my blog after I did a reconnaissance ride of Leith and Box back in March:

http://grimpeurheureux.com/ridelondon-reconnaissance-ride-and-how-i-accidentally-rode-my-first-metric-century/

Cheers
    Monty
  • I'm I the only one with no start time? My info pack came in the post this morning but no email with start time.
  • Anonymous
    I'm I the only one with no start time? My info pack came in the post this morning but no email with start time.

If you log into RL your start time might be with your other details.
    Did you fill in the transport survey and get the email confirming that?
  • Bollocks. I now know why I'm off at 6.02!! I just checked my details for when I was registering and it says my estimated time over the distance is 4.30-39. I'm certain I put 6 hours so this is a bloody giant leap up for me

Oh well hopefully I won't be getting in people's way :(
  • Anonymous
    ****. I now know why I'm off at 6.02!! I just checked my details for when I was registering and it says my estimated time over the distance is 4.30-39. I'm certain I put 6 hours so this is a bloody giant leap up for me

Maybe there is some kind of glitch. I got 6.16 but I am sure that I put an estimated time of 6 hours 8)
  • Carbonator wrote:
    ****. I now know why I'm off at 6.02!! I just checked my details for when I was registering and it says my estimated time over the distance is 4.30-39. I'm certain I put 6 hours so this is a bloody giant leap up for me

Maybe there is some kind of glitch. I got 6.16 but I am sure that I put an estimated time of 6 hours 8)
    Christ I hope so, otherwise I will see you spank past me within the first 10 miles lol
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

Christ I hope so, otherwise I will see you spank past me within the first 10 miles lol

Well I was hoping to overtake at least one person :D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Shackster wrote:
    Leith Hill is a bit steeper
    Ah, the master of understatement :)

That's like saying Dawn French is a little chubbier than Jennifer Saunders.

Yep. Box hill is longish but lovely smooth surface and not too steep at all, Leith is shorter and nastier. I did a 75 miler a few weeks ago that did 2 "other hills" then leith then Whitedown then box hill in the middle 25 miles (and then lunch which was welcome). Whitedown was actually the hardest, short but very steep but that isn't on the 100 route.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Pah! Do they have hills down south surely there just little lumps compared to the proper hills here in North Wales :)
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • Do people know what colour their start is? I would've thought this would be on the e-mail, but I can't see it anywhere & it didn't say in the magazine

Perhaps we find out when we pick up our race packs?
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Do people know what colour their start is? I would've thought this would be on the e-mail, but I can't see it anywhere & it didn't say in the magazine

Yup, that's what I've assumed.

I love the finish line setup, race towards Buckingham Palace. Afternoon Your Majesty!
  • Gizmodo
    Do people know what colour their start is? I would've thought this would be on the e-mail, but I can't see it anywhere & it didn't say in the magazine

I had the same thought.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Got my pack in the post yesterday, haven't seen whether I am in the blue or black group yet in either the email or the pack, but will re-check both.

Glorious weather this weekend, will be getting some miles in!
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    A bit of a shame they couldn't have put race numbers, chips etc.. in that pack (similar to the Dragon Ride).
    I understand why they haven't as they want to get people down for their cycling show but it's a bit of a hassle, especially for those living further afield.
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    On the subject of issuing the registration paraphernalia in the post beforehand, it would be an administrative nightmare...

20,000 entrants

Assume that only 5% of entrants (generously low in my opinion) lose their numbers and timing chips and need assistance & replacements processing on the morning of the ride.

That is 1,000 people who would need help who would miss their starts and would require volunteers up at the crack of dawn to deal with, as well as the expense of carrying spares for all the numpties. They need the road clear for the start of the Classic later, and the magazine has details of when they will begin enforcing the shortcuts to get entrants back to the Mall.

All those moaning about having to go to the Expo, that is how the London Marathon works and makes sense to me. It's open late on the Saturday and for those travelling for far away will likely be staying near enough to make the trip down.

To all those moaning, simple option - withdraw.
  • Gizmodo
    A bit harsh JDinho, but not far wrong. I'm from the midlands and I couldn't imagine travelling down for a 6am start - so staying in a local hotel is the only option whether we need to sign on the day before or not.
  • Simon Daw
    Simon Daw Posts: 1
    That's all very well, but I live 70 miles from London. I'd booked a place on a coach with a local group, travelling down on Sunday morning. For me to ride now would involve an extra round trip of 140 miles, and the waste of pretty much a complete day. If they want to impose this kind of requirement, they should make it clear at the point of entry. Why would I know how the London Marathon is organised - I'm a cyclist!

As you say, there is the option to withdraw, which I shall be taking. However, it means I've lined an organisation's pocket to the tune of £48 which I can ill-afford to blow.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    I believe that you will issued with your blue or black starts when you register and i've seen a statement confirming they are very close together so should not affect your start time.

Also i am of the impression that you can defer your entry if you cannot ride this year.

I'm travelling down from Newcastle Upon Tyne with the other half and making a weekend of it !!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!