ride london stsrt times

pease
pease Posts: 150
Has anybody got their start time yet ? They were supposed to be released beginning of june along with park and ride details but ive not and anything yet.
Insert witty signature here

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Nothing, I just noticed that myself, they said the beginning of June.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    When I spoke to the organisers at the beginning of last week, they said we should get “this information in about ten days time”. So hopefully that will be the end of the week.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    as a rough heads up they will be releasing the faster riders first
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Yes. The fastest first to reduce the amount of overtaking and thus risk of accidents. I'm already confident of beating the seven hour time I indicated
    Insert witty signature here
  • antfly
    I put 6 hours because I thought the faster ones would be going later and I wouldn't have to start at 6 am. Looks like I'm getting up early.. On the subject, does everyone know that you have to turn up the day or two days before to register or you can't do it ?
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Yea I originally assumed they would set the slower riders off first in order to give them enough time, was worried about the carnage that would ensue trying to get past them. Turns out there are escape routes to shorten the ride if anyone is taking too long.

Not sure if you will be able to turn up two days before, think its only the day before, theres more info about this coming in the next few weeks. Essential really considering the massive amount of people participating!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    For a closed road sportive the faster riders always go first.
  • antfly
    It said in the magazine you can register on the Friday or the Saturday up until 6pm.
  • Stedman
    For a closed road sportive the faster riders always go first.
    I have also had it verbally confirmed by the organisers that the faster riders will be going first.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    damn less time for me to get round but the sensible option really.

What's this about a short cut, looking at the route can't see any chance of an escape option unless it just means cutting out box hill.

Should be a great day out, just need more details about parking etc, will there be places to leave the car so I have somewhere to get back to or should I just cut my loses and book a hotel
  • antfly
    I think you have left it a bit late to get a room. They were almost full when I booked months ago.
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    edited June 2013
    Hoping for an early start time - really want to enjoy the ride and not get stuck amongst the numpties & nodders a la London to Brighton.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've put my estimated time at 6.10-19 so hoping for an earlier start and not get caught up with the numpties at the back.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sherer
    I've listed I've done a few sportives before so hopefully I wont be in the beginners group but somewhere in the middle. I know they asked someone I know for proof of their Etape time so seems like they are taking it all seriously
  • I only got a place on 8th June (thru Wiggle) and e-mailed organizers to find out more details.

You have to register (ie pick up no. and stuff) on 1-3 August from Excel Centre in Docklands.

They will let us know start times within next 10 days, via e-mail, but importantly if you miss your start time (eg 6:30) then they won't let you start later (eg 7:30), so if you've got an early start make sure you get there.

We will get a magazine/letter thru post in early July with final details.

Good news is that there will be a bag drop in the Olympic Park and bags will be transported to the finish.

I also put 6:10 - 6:19 on my ride time, fairly confident I can achieve this, but it really depends on congestion at the start & if there is much of a pull along from a Pelaton type situation, which I guess there will be
  • Stedman
    drlodge wrote:
    I've put my estimated time at 6.10-19 so hoping for an earlier start and not get caught up with the numpties at the back.
    Judging by the times that are being discussed on this forum, there is going to be a huge middle group, however from my experience with the Etape Caledonia, it is not the slower riders on the ride which are the problem, but it is before the start where they are blocking faster riders from getting through to their pens!

Hopefully the organisers will keep the later riders well back before their allocated start times!

On another forum I have also read an account of one rider who had to take a rest halfway up during a training ride on Leith Hill. So there may well be a queue forming later in the ride!
  • sherer
    an anyone remember the total number of riders ? L2B was a bit of chaos on the first climb but then I was prepared of that and it's a different day out.
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    20,000 riders IIRC
  • sherer
    will be interesting to see the mix between serious riders and those doing it for fun who aren't prepared for it.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    20,000 riders IIRC

And over a 2 hour start window, that's 3 riders per second :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I can pretty much guarantee that:

1. You will not go out individually, so the 3 riders per second thing will not happen. You will be in wave pens.
    2. People will try and get in wave pens that they’re not meant to be in and although THE AUTHORITIES will shout through a megaphone it will be futile - so expect a bit of a rammy. That's just the way it is.
    3. This is a closed road event so the time that you set yourself will be more than achievable – no red lights, big packs to draft in, adrenalin, you can uses both lanes etc. etc.

I’ve gone for a sub 5. Managed an average speed of 21mph round the Etape Caledonia this year – well chuffed - and I’ll be fresh from a week in the Alps ;-)
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I'm not so sure that I'm bothered about doing a fast time on this. I'm more inclined to ride at a decent pace but to enjoy the day and especially the closed roads, I think I'll see what pans out on the day. I should hopefully be near the front at the start but if not then I don't want to get frustrated trying to get past slower riders blocking the road, I'd rather back off, chill out and enjoy it.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    The first ~10 miles are all dual carriage way or wider with very little in the way of tight corners, hills or junctions. I'm hopeful that will give everyone plenty of time to thin out.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Any more info on parking on the day? Was hoping to drive up and park between the Olympic Park and East towards the M25, but not sure if this will be possible?
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Any more info on parking on the day? Was hoping to drive up and park between the Olympic Park and East towards the M25, but not sure if this will be possible?

There is loads of free parking in London on Sundays but how much of it is going to be filled up with people having the same idea I cannot say. If you are going to try this option then I'd suggest the areas around Victoria park would be a good place to start looking (E3 2PY used to be my old postcode and it's all free on Sundays there).

The other option is plan for the end of the day. Pick somewhere that's easy to get back to from the Mall, then ride to the Olympic park as a nice little warm-up. I'm riding in from Blackheath which would fit the bill - about 6 pancake flat miles to the park and direct trains back from Charing Cross.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Assuming you use the park and cycle facilities at/near Olympic Park that we are meant to use. How do you get back there from the Mall after the event? Will the roads still be closed?
  • jimmurray wrote:
    Assuming you use the park and cycle facilities at/near Olympic Park that we are meant to use. How do you get back there from the Mall after the event? Will the roads still be closed?
    Jim, it looks like there are park and ride facilities halfway between the start and finish (according to the FAQ's on their website) but no details so I guess they expect you to cycle. I'd imagine the roads back to the start will be open again just after the pro's pass at 12:45.

The info available on their website is pretty scant.
  • Stedman
    I am staying in Limehouse the night before and last month when planning my route to the start, I asked the organisers how and where I could get across the A12. Unfortunately I also got the standard answer that all will be finally confirmed early in June. It is now late June and I am still none the wiser!
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Jon,

We got in as a team and have heard nothing from ride London about the event whatsoever other than email confirming we are in. Going to be fun '000s of cyclists making their way back to Olympic park or wherever the park and cycle is. We are staying 12 miles east of the park so need to get back there.
  • Jim, I've heard nothing either but more info is going to appear soon apparently.

So, if you're staying 12 miles East of QEOP you'll have another 30 miles to ride on top of the hundred odd you'll cover on the event. You might be better just riding there and back from Devon!

I've got a premier inn booked in Stratford - booked even before I knew I had a place.

I hope I get an early start time to get away from the inevitable carnage.