ride london stsrt times

Comments

• VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    The start info (except the omission of which colour to go to) seems fairly clear, and the timings seem reasonable in that they suggest 30 mins from entering the park to allow for bag drop, toilet etc then 30 mins in the queuing system. It's early, but that's not something we didn't know.

One thing which would be handy is if they publicised main routes towards the site for those who're not local to East London.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Simon Daw wrote:
    That's all very well, but I live 70 miles from London. I'd booked a place on a coach with a local group, travelling down on Sunday morning. For me to ride now would involve an extra round trip of 140 miles, and the waste of pretty much a complete day. If they want to impose this kind of requirement, they should make it clear at the point of entry. Why would I know how the London Marathon is organised - I'm a cyclist!

As you say, there is the option to withdraw, which I shall be taking. However, it means I've lined an organisation's pocket to the tune of £48 which I can ill-afford to blow.
    Fair point, it's a shame the local group who organised the coach didn't know that information as well. You can defer your entry to next year and this time make a weekend of it.
  • Gizmodo
    VO2min wrote:
    The start info (except the omission of which colour to go to) seems fairly clear, and the timings seem reasonable in that they suggest 30 mins from entering the park to allow for bag drop, toilet etc then 30 mins in the queuing system. It's early, but that's not something we didn't know.

One thing which would be handy is if they publicised main routes towards the site for those who're not local to East London.
    Just reading the final entry magazine and it says "...you can nominate someone to collect your Rider Documents for you."

So 1 person on your coach could collect the documents for everyone. So only 1 person has to go down to London the day (or 2 days) before.

Hope that helps.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Gizmodo wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

Just reading the final entry magazine and it says "...you can nominate someone to collect your Rider Documents for you."

So 1 person on your coach could collect the documents for everyone. So only 1 person has to go down to London the day (or 2 days) before.

Hope that helps.

You can only collect documents for one other person so this wouldnt be the case
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    t4tomo wrote:
    Shackster wrote:
    Leith Hill is a bit steeper
    Ah, the master of understatement :)

That's like saying Dawn French is a little chubbier than Jennifer Saunders.

Yep. Box hill is longish but lovely smooth surface and not too steep at all, Leith is shorter and nastier. I did a 75 miler a few weeks ago that did 2 "other hills" then leith then Whitedown then box hill in the middle 25 miles (and then lunch which was welcome). Whitedown was actually the hardest, short but very steep but that isn't on the 100 route.

Did Leith and Box hill on Sunday and they were much easier than I expected.

First we did a long drag type hill after leaving Sheer, then Leith, then I think Whitedown, then Box Hill.
    Whitedown (which is not on RLS100) was tough but the others seemed ok.

Leith may not be much fun after 50 or so miles, but its nowhere near as bad (IMO) as Ditchling Beacon when nearing the end of L2B.

Am glad that we went to check them all out. It was a lovely day for a ride in a very nice part of the country.

Met a really nice guy called Bernie who helped us out. If your reading this Bernie, we found our friend and did all the hills :D
    Thanks again for your help :wink:
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    VO2min wrote:

I'm not familiar with East London at all and have plotted a little 6mile route from my hotel in Docklands (Excel Styles Custom House). Will leave myself boat loads of time as not familiar with the area but i hope to see lots of people on bikes with numbers on heading to the start !!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    It may be an idea to look at the map of official car parks and get to the one nearest your hotel. From there it will be signposted to the start for you. Less route to remember and takes a bit of stress away for the early morning.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Hi, I've just had an email from Garmin saying that I'm one of 100 people, who were unsuccessful in the ballot, who have been offered a place in the Ride 100 event! :)
    I haven't paid to accept a place yet, but I would like to. I just need to check the logistics of getting to and from the event as I hadn't expected to be doing it.

I've looked on the official website and it says that there are several 'park and ride' locations and drop off points, but it doesn't have any maps of these locations or many other details at all. I guess they emailed or posted out more detailed info to you guys earlier? I emailed the organisers but I just received an auto-reply saying they can't respond to email enquiries.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to how I could get to the start. I live in Putney at the southern end of West Hill, about a 15 mile ride from the start. My options seem to be to ride there, which I don't really fancy as I'm worried I'll be too knackered. To drive to a designated car park, in which case are the car parks all by the start or are there some between Putney and the start, which would make coming home a bit easier? And do you think all the car parks will be full by now? Or are the organisers putting on a shuttle service to carry riders to the start from certain locations? Or is there something else I should consider?

Any help would be great, thanks!
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I orginally looked at park and ride. The O2 car park seemed a good one and you can ride through the (closed to traffic on the day) Blackwall tunnel to get to the event. I'm now staying in a cheap hotel nearby as I didnt want to leave home at 2-3am to get there
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Cubic wrote:
    I've looked on the official website and it says that there are several 'park and ride' locations and drop off points, but it doesn't have any maps of these locations or many other details at all. I guess they emailed or posted out more detailed info to you guys earlier? I emailed the organisers but I just received an auto-reply saying they can't respond to email enquiries.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to how I could get to the start. I live in Putney at the southern end of West Hill, about a 15 mile ride from the start. My options seem to be to ride there, which I don't really fancy as I'm worried I'll be too knackered. To drive to a designated car park, in which case are the car parks all by the start or are there some between Putney and the start, which would make coming home a bit easier? And do you think all the car parks will be full by now? Or are the organisers putting on a shuttle service to carry riders to the start from certain locations? Or is there something else I should consider?

Any help would be great, thanks!

They never really gave that much information.

When they did the travel survey, it had a map of London and then a very basic description of the place you book a car park spot and how far it was from the start and end. There are also a number of designated drop off points where somebody can drive you to, but again I believe these have to be pre-booked like a car park space.

I think they had said they were going to release more maps, but I don't think they have done so yet. All we do know is that from the car parks and drop off points, the route to the QEP will be signposted.

The only people who are going to be able to tell you if they still have car park spaces is Ride London, so you would likely have to call them. While there was at least one car park close to the start, it wouldn't be ideal for where you are coming from. Most of the others would get you a little bit closer by a few miles. You then have to bare in mind that after the event, you will probably find driving back very difficult because Putney is the return journey, so those roads will be some of the last to be reopened around that area. Bikes also won't be allowed on any TFL services.

So while car parking might get you a little closer, its not going to get you that close and it likely may just be a complete hassle. So while its an extra 15 miles to ride in, it might be your best option. Or perhaps take a taxi and see how close it can get you?
  • There are several drop off points and park and ride points. Regrettably, these are only made available to you once you have booked and start the "TRAVEL SURVEY". I do know that one drop off point (marked 'D') is at Blackwall Lane, between Salutation Road and Woolwich Road as I have booked a taxi to here from (near) Redhill in Surrey at 4.50am. £55 :shock:

Having said that, I'm now worried as reading the final instructions below, my 4.5 mile cycle to the start points might go through the southbound bore of the blackwall tunnel, along with all the cars driving up to the O2 arena to park there :shock: So it appears you can park at the O2 arena.

I got a dodgy looking map with the confirmation of survey email, which is reasonably accurate but I can't be 100% about the other drop off's. However, drop off 'A' looks to be just west of the river / south of City airport at Royal Victoria gardens. Drop off 'B' seems to be Jamaica Road, near to Most Holy Trinity RC Church. 'C' appears to be on the A10 at the junction with Dalston Lane.

I found this googling today. Not sure if it's official and finalised, but it certainly seems legit :
    http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/A ... ctions.pdf
  • Cubic
    Thanks a lot for the info. It does sound like riding there would make the most sense. I'm worried that I've done no specific training for this event as I didn't think I'd get a place, and the longest ride I've done recently was a hilly 70 miles a couple of weeks ago.
    Riding to and from the event will take the days total distance to about 120 miles, which will be the furthest I've ever ridden.

I just need to decide if I think I can cope with that distance.

Maybe race-day adrenaline will get me around....!!!
  • Gizmodo
    Don't forget that you would also need to get to the Excel Centre to register and pickup your timing chip on the Thur/Fri/Sat before the event.

Do you not have someone who could drop you off closer to the start in the morning - remember you will need to get to the start sometime between 5 and 7 am.
  • rich_e
    I've only got 8 miles to cycle the start, which obviously isn't as much as you, but just think of it as a bit of a warm up. You don't have to hammer it, you can take it nice and slow, plus with how early in the morning it will be, there won't be much traffic about so it should be far more leisurely than when usually riding around London. After the event, you can spend plenty of time relaxing or maybe watching the Pro Race, so you can get some energy back before the final ride home.
  • 10 miles extra each way? Where do you live ?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Anyone heading over from the tower bridge area? Or anyone that can offer some advice on what route to take in the morning? I had intended to just go along the highway road but it seems that is part of the route so will be closed and cable street seems to be one way in the wrong direction. I've never been further east than the city so dont know the area at all!

Would make life alot easier if they were to let cyclists go along the route before about 5 am, plenty of time before the event starts!
  • See above.... There's an official drop off point (A) near the A2 / Jamaica road junction. There's another on Blackwall Lane (B) near Woolwich Road junction. The organisers have promised to signpost the route to the start point from all drop off's. Distance from Jamaica Road to Waterden Road (rough start point) is 6 miles, or 4.5 miles from Blackwall Lane drop off.
  • Sorry, Jamaica Road is 'B', Blackwall Lane is 'D'.
  • rich_e
    At present the only way of seeing which roads are actually closed is to read the PDF document on each London Borough that is on TFL's website section about the day.

These do tell you what is closed, but give no information on how you get into the Olympic Park, as it pretty much just defines it as being a no go area in that mapping for the borough. They had previously seemed to suggest they were going to give better details and mapping on how to get into the event, but nothing was provided in the final plans magazine/pdf.

So even knowing London, it still seems that the best way in is going to be finding one of the official locations and following the Cyclists/Signs.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    At present the only way of seeing which roads are actually closed is to read the PDF document on each London Borough that is on TFL's website section about the day.

These do tell you what is closed, but give no information on how you get into the Olympic Park, as it pretty much just defines it as being a no go area in that mapping for the borough. They had previously seemed to suggest they were going to give better details and mapping on how to get into the event, but nothing was provided in the final plans magazine/pdf.

So even knowing London, it still seems that the best way in is going to be finding one of the official locations and following the Cyclists/Signs.

Forgot to say. Once you confirm your drop off location in the "TRAVEL SURVEY" they tell you the routes which are open to drive to the drop off, depending on where you're travelling from. As an example, my journey to Blackwall Lane is one of 3 :
    - From South - M25 J7, M23, A23, A232, A222, A21, A205, A2, A102, A206
    - From South East - M25 J2, A2, A102 (omitted on their email !), A206
    - From South West M25 J10, A3, A205, A102, A206
    The 4.5 mile ride to Waterden Road loading point in the Olympic Park will be signposted on the day, but presumably A12, then Stratford High Street.

So, in theory, from Putney (the location in your profile), you can take the A3, A205, A102, A206 route to Blackwall Lane / Woolwich Road / Salutation Road drop off and pick up the signposts from there ?

Also, as I understand the TRAVEL SURVEY, it's pull down menus which you can swap and change between "PARK AND RIDE" and "DRIVE AND DROP OFF", changing the 'DROP OFF' / 'PARK AND RIDE' locations to suit until you are happy and click "CONFIRM".

Hope this helps !
  • rich_e
    You obviously are only privy to that route information having selected a Drop Off or Parking space.

I chose the option to ride in myself back during the travel survey, which thus far has provided no further information on getting in. So with not knowing which roads are open or closed and not long to go now, it makes it difficult to plan exactly which route you can take to get in and how long its going to take. The silly thing as I've pointed out before is that they have spent a lot of time emphasising planning your route in to ensure you are on time, yet they haven't provided that much to aid in that.
  • Cubic
    Thanks for all the info. I've been looking at the road closures around where I live in Putney and I don't think driving anywhere will be possible on the day. So I just need to decide if I can ride to and from the event instead....
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    i'll be cycling NE from E&C, probably over London Bridge, however, looking at the borough road closures, up near Stratford and the Olympic park there is no way to get over the closed road of the course to get to the start, so does that mean we'll have to cycle up around the top of the olympic park and down the other side to get to it from the East?

I will be looking to follow directions from a drop off or car park as it will be the only way i'll get there without having to memorise a route etc.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • jimmurray wrote:
    Jon, will have a chat next time we are out together. There are seven of us from the club in Travelinn at Dagenham. Curry and beer after the ride.
    Hi Jim - just spotted this. Sent you PM
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    From here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/27647.aspx

Traffic impacts on Sunday 4 August will be extensive and will affect east, central and southwest London as well as a large part of Surrey. The following river crossings will be closed to traffic, but open to pedestrians, on the day:

Blackwall Tunnel / A12 southbound - closed from 01:00, for regular maintenance work followed by the event preparation, to approximately 09:00
    A12 northbound from A13 - closed from 05:00 to approximately 09:00
    A13 eastbound and westbound from A12 to Leamouth Road - closed from 05:00 to approximately 09:00
    Tower Bridge and Southwark Bridge - closed from 04:00 to approximately 15:15
    Westminster Bridge, Lambeth Bridge, Vauxhall Bridge closed from 05:00 to after 19:30
    Chelsea Bridge, Albert Bridge and Putney Bridge - closed from 05:00 to after 19:15
    Chiswick Bridge - closed from 05:00 to shortly after 14:30
    Kingston Bridge - closed from 05:00 to after 19.15
    Hampton Court Bridge - closed from 05:00. Open from 15:30 northbound and 19.00 southbound

I am trying to figure out the best way to get to the car park I booked, as I told a porky where I was coming from so I could get the car park I wanted....
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    the whole getting to start thing is a bit confusing, i live in Balham and am happy to cycle to the start, so I ticked stay local and ride to the start in the survey, but after that there is no more communication from the organisers on how I should do that, I was expecting some suggested route maps or at least "get yourself to point X and then follow the signs or something, but nothing. it's almost as if they are assuming when I say local i mean "stratford" or i'll come by car.

On the one rubbish map i have (from the survey email) there seems to be a lot of parking just south of the river so i guess i'll cycle north until i find some signs...
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    binkybike wrote:
    the whole getting to start thing is a bit confusing, i live in Balham and am happy to cycle to the start, so I ticked stay local and ride to the start in the survey, but after that there is no more communication from the organisers on how I should do that, I was expecting some suggested route maps or at least "get yourself to point X and then follow the signs or something, but nothing. it's almost as if they are assuming when I say local i mean "stratford" or i'll come by car.

On the one rubbish map i have (from the survey email) there seems to be a lot of parking just south of the river so i guess i'll cycle north until i find some signs...

What's so complicated? CS2 runs almost all the way from the centre to the Olympic park and CS7 runs from Balham to the centre. Very few of the cyclable roads around the park will be closed (the ride sets off down the A12) and traffic will be extremely light at that time of the morning.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • rich_e
    Mr Will wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

What's so complicated? CS2 runs almost all the way from the centre to the Olympic park and CS7 runs from Balham to the centre. Very few of the cyclable roads around the park will be closed (the ride sets off down the A12) and traffic will be extremely light at that time of the morning.

I think its more the fact that you can't cross the A12 and with the road closures, its not entirely clear what is the easiest way to get in. The final instructions magazine just has a couple of vague orange arrows on some of the side roads that says "Access to QEP". The other thing is that you have to enter the park from the North, or from the South East based entirely on which colour group start you are assigned. For myself as an example, if I was in the black group, it wouldn't be so bad as I live in North London. If its the blue group though I have to make my way all the way around.

As binkybike rightly points out, they said back during the transport survey that they would provide more detailed information on getting in. Thus far that only seems to be signs from the official car parks that will get you in and directions to the car parks for Garmin Nuvi devices, of which I don't have one and am not driving. As I chose cycle in, I also don't see a clear and concise list of where all the car parks now are having completed the transport survey to work out whether I should head to one of those and follow it in.

The point I'm trying make is that RideLondon spend a lot of time telling you to prepare your journey into the park and reminding you how important it is you make your time. However the information we have doesn't make planning easy, especially when we won't even be assigned our groups until just before.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    anyone riding (or perhaps even driving) from central london (south west)?

would be great if we could all say from where coming and perhaps even form loose groups to ride there (obviously limited by start time). as is, looking like a 15+ mile ride to the start -- thinking of ordering a car service if anyone interested. likely won't save on sleep time but may be better for the legs.

it looks like my entire neighborhood is shut down as the race passes metres from me both out and back -- but i am hoping i can at least get out the door!
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Rich_E wrote:
    I think its more the fact that you can't cross the A12 and with the road closures, its not entirely clear what is the easiest way to get in.

Looking at the road closures, the A11 crosses the A12 on a flyover so is presumably still open.