ride london stsrt times

Comments

• Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    jimmurray wrote:
    Jon,

We got in as a team and have heard nothing from ride London about the event whatsoever other than email confirming we are in. Going to be fun '000s of cyclists making their way back to Olympic park or wherever the park and cycle is. We are staying 12 miles east of the park so need to get back there.
    One additional issue to consider if you are one of the earlier starters and you intend to ride to the start, as sunrise is at 05:29 we will also need to bring some form of lights!
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Jon, will have a chat next time we are out together. There are seven of us from the club in Travelinn at Dagenham. Curry and beer after the ride.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Anyone from North Wales going heading down myself on the train on Saturday 3rd August.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I just called the number on the Prudential Ridelondon site, and a recorded message told me "all entrants will receive their final pack in early July" so I guess we have to sit tight another week or two.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Facebook update says we'll all get an email in the next couple of days which will give us all the info we need (apparently :lol:)
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    any idea how the 9 hour cut off will work. Will the time start from the first rides off or does the 9 hour limit only apply from when the last riders leave ?
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    I don't think it's as simple as that, I imagine there will be a broom wagon slowly sweeping the course that you'll have to stay ahead of. Otherwise there would be the risk of tardy riders getting in the way of the pros.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • sherer
    surely if there is a 9 hour cut off then that time has to start from some point though, just trying to work out if those at the back are getting less than 9 hours to finish it.

Not done many events with a broom wagon, cut off time so not sure how they work.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    9 hrs is a long time to complete 100 miles. Non stop it's an average of 11.11 mph.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I just got the e-mail, filled in the survey and booked a car park for a tenner. Very handy.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I think the biggest reveal to take away from this is that no bikes are going to be allowed on public transport.

I live about 8 miles from the start so think I'm just going to stick to cycling to the event and using it as a warm up. The Car Parks would only take a few miles off, and then you have the balance of whether you want to do more miles before or after the event. Certainly very useful for people coming from outside London though.

The single drop-off location for the North and road closures strikes me as being pretty chaotic, so again probably not worth it being local.

Infact, the only thing that annoys me is that the e-mail highlights so much about you should plan ahead, it then goes on to say that if you are riding in you will also be affected by these closures, so you need to plan to ensure you don't miss your start time. The issue is that the map they have provided overall is incredibly vague, if you look at each boroughs closures, you get a better understanding, namely Hackney for the start. However, it doesn't give any information as to what is the approved access point into the Olympic Park to attend the event. So its somewhat difficult at the moment to be able to plan what my exact route will be and how many miles it would take to get in.

As for the broom wagon/cut-off, I would imagine that one is probably going to be difficult to manage and will be a bit of a test given that this is the first event. If you end up with 1000 people say who aren't going to make it, they will need to have clear instructions about leaving the course and how they can get back to London.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    booked into an NCP, I was going to chance being able to get to the small carpark by the london eye but decided against it. If anybody people are desperate I'm willing to car-share if you've got a bike rack that'll go on my roof bars and are in the woking area.

just need the start time now....
    Insert witty signature here
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Got the e-mail and have completed the survey so confirmed. We are "staying locally", a pub in Leyton, and plan to ride to the park in the morning (5 miles) and back from the Mall after the event (9miles). They say you can't cross the route, so given the route goes north of the Mall, how does anyone going north get home? I'm expecting that they will have to have agreed crossing points.
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    Just booked a car park, if anyone is coming from South Oxfordshire and wants to share i have plenty of space inside my Vito :lol: Let me know...
  • tringa100
    tringa100 Posts: 3
    Clearly I'm being really dim here, but how do you access the 'Transport Options and Reservations Survey' in the email... I've searched everywhere but can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Tringa
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Click on the big capital letters that say Survey at the bottom of the email :-) I took ages to find it too!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    I've booked a hotel by Hyde Park so it will be handy to get to after the finish, however don't relish the prospect of trying to cycle and navigate to the start from Hyde Park.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • tringa100
    tringa100 Posts: 3
    KentPhil wrote:
    Click on the big capital letters that say Survey at the bottom of the email :-) I took ages to find it too!

Oh yeah. Duh. Thanks for your help. Must be a bit tired after the Dartmoor Classic yesterday :wink:
  • sherer
    it says there will be posted routes to the start from the car parks but then doesn't say the same about the drop off points. I hope that is just an over site and they are sign posted too
  • rich_e
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Got the e-mail and have completed the survey so confirmed. We are "staying locally", a pub in Leyton, and plan to ride to the park in the morning (5 miles) and back from the Mall after the event (9miles). They say you can't cross the route, so given the route goes north of the Mall, how does anyone going north get home? I'm expecting that they will have to have agreed crossing points.

There will have to be some crossing points.

But inregards to the end, I would assume that the finish on the Mall will be to how the Marathon and other bike races finish, so you come past the Palace and down to the finish. I would guess you can then exit via the end near Trafalgar Square, or Horse Guards, St. James Park and Green Park. I can only imagine that its going to be pretty congested, I've not seen what the Marathon is like, but I'd imagine it will be like that but with bikes taking up lots of space.

Also, by the time the majority are finishing, the Pro Riders will likely have already set off, at which point they will probably already begin reopening roads, so the metal barriers on the Northern section on the route above the Mall will probably be removed. So there will no longer be a barrier and certainly not going to have much trouble getting past with a bike anyway.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    If you use this site http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/27647.aspx and scrol to the bottom there are a number of pdf documents with details and maps of the road closure. I see that we also go through a tunnel early on in the ride!
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    just booked to park at the O2 arena and ride to the start from there.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • rich_e
    Just saw this tweet:

PrudentialRideLondon ‏@RideLondon
    If you're taking part in the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 you will be receiving your start time by email within the next seven days.
  • Does anyone know where the actual start is? I know they saw QE Olympic Park, but the route closures look like it might be north end of the Park. I booked a hotel in Docklands (couldn't get one in Stratford) but wondering if I should move it to one north (walthamstow area) of the Olympic Park so I can ride south to the start rather than coming north (& having to avoid the A12) on roads which will presumably be congested to the max.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    On RL's facebook page

"Between Tuesday 2 July and Friday 5 July you will be receiving your registration form alongside a Final Instructions Magazine. This magazine will provide you with all you need to know about what to expect on Ride Day including details on how to register. Registration will take place at the Prudential RideLondon Cycling Show at the ExCel Exhibition Centre in East London between Thursday 1 August and Saturday 3 August."
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    sherer wrote:
    it says there will be posted routes to the start from the car parks but then doesn't say the same about the drop off points. I hope that is just an over site and they are sign posted too

It says you have to plan your own route back to the car parks doesn't it? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Kind of brings it into focus for me, I still wasn't convinced I was in until I got the email last night!
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    i honestly can't figure out the road closures at all from the tfl maps ... and it turns out the finish goes about 10 metres from where i live so the maps suggest my entire neighborhood is shut down from 5 am. guess i should wish for a really early start.

not sure how central london is really 'local' to the start. i live in central london, and it is still a c15 mile ride to the start.

and do we *have* to go up the prior day to pick up our packets? that seems like a huge hassle but i suspect the venue will be filled with advertisers, etc. and the idea is to bring in foot traffic..
  • rich_e
    and do we *have* to go up the prior day to pick up our packets? that seems like a huge hassle but i suspect the venue will be filled with advertisers, etc. and the idea is to bring in foot traffic..

It takes place over Thursday-Saturday, so you can register anytime then.
    From what they say, this is the only way you can register. I've already seen people complaining on the Facebook page that they are travelling down, or even out of the country until Saturday evening. I think they did say quite a few months back that this would be the case though.

Other than what you have already pointed out that it means guaranteed foot traffic for potential exhibitors at the festival, I would think it also saves them on the postage cost for 20,000 registration packs and they have all the staff there to answer questions rather than in a call centre. Finally it might further lower the number of participants taking part if people can't make it to the registration. While its still billed as 20,000 people and fully booked, I would think they are quite happy to drop the real figure as best they can, especially as its the first running of a such a large event.
  • ive just booked the car park 1.8 miles from start but 8 from finish ,im staying in a hotel in Wembley night before so thinking I can drive to that car park missing all the road closures .ill be doing a test run anyway on the Saturday to pick up my registration pack so will know the route for sunday morning ,im coming from witney Oxfordshire so if anyone wants a lift and a night at hotel on the Saturday to split costs let me know ,only got a ford ka though :D
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Hi,

I'm a late entrant to this and booked into the Ibis Styles Custom House down by the Excel, i'm driving down from Newcastle with the missus and making a weekend of it. I've opted to ride to the start and then get the Clipper Ferry back to Trinity Buoy Wharf. God knows what the missus will be doing but no doubt getting tubes and the DLR everywhere.

I work nearly every week in London but mostly in West London and not sure of the east side of the City at all so if anyone else is staying at the Ibis Styles Custom House and wants a ride partner to the start i'd be really glad of some company (don't worry i'd not expect you to ride the whole 100mile route with me either !!!) ??

Cheers and i hope everyone enjoys the ride, i've done plenty of sportives and L2P but nervous and aware that there will be lots of people not used to riding in groups :-(

Lee
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!