Peterborough/Cambridge area MTB'ers

Comments

• Bike Bloke wrote:
    Cheers wrf-cake, was a good little trip round bourne woods. The new trails will come in handy. Will have to do it again sometime, maybe try and get a few more people out as well. Good luck in your 24hr race!

Thanks! Was good to meet you too. We'll set up a group ride soon - hopefully without the mechanicals, eh!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • bmh
    bmh Posts: 8
    To all those that were in attendance at Thetford today, good to meet you all, look forward to maybe doing Bourne Woods one evening soon.

My wife was remarkably unconcerned about future complications arising from my log ride "injury"!!!

Mike you need to teach me how to say commencal properly before I consider buying one.

cheers all, I'm off for a cold one......or two
    Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening!
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    edited July 2008
    Hi there, awesome ride today at Thetford. Great to meet all of you.

Here's that group shot after the beam !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2297700/
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    Amazingly I now find myself free to come to Wales :P

I've booked one of the "Posh Trails" pitches at Torrent Walk. Now just need to get some kit together. Can't wait! :D
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    Larok wrote:
    Hi there, awesome ride today at Thetford. Great to meet all of you.

Here's that group shot after the beam !

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2297700/

Ok, so who is who? Just in case i know who i am getting overtaken by locally :wink:
  • Indeed! Was good to meet y'all - couldn't figure out if my brown arms were suntanned or dirt-encrusted. Turned out to be the latter!
  • mikebert4
    mikebert4 Posts: 93
    Hey guys -great to meet you all today.

If you've got photos/videos give me a PM and I'll throw you an FTP account to upload them.

I'll post my measly contributions here when I've compilied it all :)

Great day out! Thanks all!
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I ONLY COME ONCE."
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    i all sounds like it was a good day anyone out this friday 1st or saturday 2nd or sunday 3rd i can do any of these days :lol:
    play hard ride hard
  • Leebergin
    Leebergin Posts: 97
    Guys

Thanks all for a FANTASTIC day 8) was great day.

Weather was great 8)

Trails were great 8)

Company was great 8)

What more could you ask for on a day ride, apart from Cold beers BBQ and dancing girls.... :shock:

Great to meet you all cant wait till the next one.... :?:
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

http://tinyurl.com/MyBike
  • mikebert4
    If anyone's compiling the photos and videos - you can grab them from:

www.nefariousguild.co.uk/Bikeradar

as I said before - PM me for a FTP account to upload :)
  • Leebergin
    Guys

Heres a pic of mike getting some Air on the Bomb hole today .... 8)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2298141/

BMH can we take it that your a Crunchy Nut freak now ..... :lol:

:!:
    Lee

We do these things in life... not to escape life itself... but to stop life escaping us.....

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    nice air Mike!
  • Pic taken shortly before wipeout?
  • tankduck
    tankduck Posts: 36
    hey guys,
    managed to buckle my front rim yesterday, not terribly chuffed about it but have got a spare rim in the post that should get here tuesday. As I said before, I'm new to the area, and haven't been to any bike shops, where is a good place in or around peterborough granted I'm going to probably try and have the old rim trued and keep the new as a spare, or have the wheel rebuilt with the new rim.

Cheers in advance
  • mikebert4
    tank -

Probally the best place would be Rutland Cycles (on the north shore of the lake). They're a good team and reqally know their stuff.

Failing that, Terry Wrights in Deeping would do it for you, but I've less experience of them so can't really vouch for their mechanics.

As for in or around the city - I don't think there's really anyone, unless you count Halfords...

Heh in that photo - Why do I look like I've more air in my cheeks than under me. Must me my 'jump face', and is a damm good justification for keeping me wheels on firm ground says I!
  • Troopy
    Troopy Posts: 202
    Nice one Carl, it's great to have you coming along, that's 3 confirmed camp site bookings, Scot have you booked yet?
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • Troopy
    Tank
    Bill at Bristows really know his stuff, they are on Church Drive, Orton Waterville
    YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GROW OLD, YOU GROW OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING
  • jamieayres
    Bristows is very overpriced tho.

BB/Headtube facing & forks fitted with SFA and steerer cut down:

Bristows - £70 & 8 days till they could do it.

Terry Wrights - £20 & done in 2 days.

No surprises who i went to for the work :wink:
  • I've just looked at some of the video footage from the bombhole play session - I GOT AIR! OK, so there's about an inch (possibly not even that) of fresh air under my rubber, but there's definitely daylight! WOOHOO! Tabletops and X-ups here I come! :lol:
  • Troopy
    I must admit I tend to use Terry Wright, have done for 12-13 years now and I've always got good service from there, but then I know people who really rate Rutland Cycles.
  • tankduck
    sadly bristows are booked up for like 2 weeks, and terry wright are booked up till friday so I'll see what happens. Thing is I'm not sure what is a repairable buckle and what isn't so I may have to wait till I get my new rim either tomorrow or day after so the mechanic has the option.
  • Leebergin
    Right Chaps

When are we hitting Bourne Woods :?:

Also when does anyone fancy a flat land session, (i know Alan and Mike are up for a few skills sessions) need to learn to Wheelie and Bunny Hop always helps if other are around :shock:

Also I think we should all get together one evening to have a jar or 2 :wink:

Let me know who's and when :lol:
    Lee

• I may well be hitting Bourne tomorrow daytime. Depending on how my legs feel, and if it's pi55ing it down or not (!) The flatland session I could probably do most evenings, depending on shifts... Beer's welcome anytime(!)
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Hi guys, I shall be back in the country tomorrow pm, fresh from high altitude/temperature training :wink: in Moselle, and raring for Wales. The hanger finally arrived from Wiggle, so the Focus is back on the road. However it sounds like you've all found a stash under the mattress and bought an extra spring to cushion your backsides. Softies.

I'm up for a skills sesh, where's the venue?
  • mikebert4
    I'm game for Bourne woods any evening, same (always) goes for having a beer \o/

When we settle on a day/time for either I'll be ready and waiting ;)
  • bmh
    bmh Posts: 8
    Well I'm on for beer/bourne/skills session, my only issue is I never know where I'm working the next day until about 5pm the evening before, so planning stuff is difficult. Put me down as a potential yes for any session and text me. Will pm my mobile number to you Lee.

Have found an ex-display medium Meta 5.5.2 for £1400, my cursor is hovering over the add to cart button, really should have a proper test ride first though....... :wink:
    Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening!
  • tankduck
    As soon as my wheel is sorted I'm definetely up for bourne/skills and I never like to turn down precious alcomahol!!!

Let us know what the plans are and I'm there!!!
  • jamieayres
    bmh wrote:
    Have found an ex-display medium Meta 5.5.2 for £1400, my cursor is hovering over the add to cart button, really should have a proper test ride first though....... :wink:

If they have your size go for brand new for £1214:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=129

or if you need a medium/large at £1499 (i reckon you could haggle it down to £1400 from:

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php? ... b58s1p1380

..as they have the '09s in now so will want to shift the old stock.
  • Troopy
    I'm up for a trip to Bourne and a skills sesh (who's going to take the skills bit?) and especially the beer. Although this weekend is Wales and then I'm in Morzine from the 11th - 20th Aug.
  • Leebergin
    Right guys as there seems to be a bit of an uptake for the flatland session 8) .

I would suggest we find an empty car park we can use :shock: .

If anyone is a Wheelie or Bunny Hop Grand Master :wink: own up now as your input would be most welcome, failing that I have a portable DVD player and a few of the skills DVD, so we can watch learn Crash, erm mean practice.

How's next Wednesday say 7pm sound would suggest the follow carpark at ferry medows

google maps ref 52.561456, -0.308915

Once we are bored brusied or battered we could pop down to the Boltoph Arms for a refreshing Beverage... :roll:

Let me know what you think.
    Lee