Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768
    edited July 15

This pie chart clearly demonstrates the impact of various goal amounts have on the outcome of bring it home.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

He probably should have been aware of his predicament and shouted. Probably wouldn't have changed much, but there wasn't a huge amount of build up play to excuse everyone being out of position.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

That unflattering snapshot could have been taken several times during the match

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

You might not but a huge amount of supporters and sections of the media do and it gets used against them anytime they get a bad result. The people clamouring for a new manager will be the same people clamouring for a new manager again if Southgate goes and the new manager has bad results (and in a lot of cases will probably be saying how Southgate should have stayed). It's the nature of football supporters and not unique to England, Welsh supporters were calling for Page to be sacked early in his tenure, then he was suddenly flavour of the month when they had a decent run, then they wanted him sacked again.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

Actually, having looked at it again, Walker was definitely out of position for the second goal and potentially could have made the cross a lot harder.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395

True, but we only have to get lucky once then we can shut the ABE saddos up for years...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

There will be a time in the not too distant future when people will remember with misty eyes the halcyon days of Southgate's tenure as England manager.

WC quarter and semi finals and two successive Euro finals make his an extremely hard act to follow.

It is thanks to Southgate and not in spite of him that the expectations of the English media and England football fans have been raised hugely. Success can and will only be judged by one metric and it will be a brave person that takes the task on.

Personally, I'd like to see him manage in the next World Cup - if he wants the job, I think he has earned the right to take it.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

I'm hoping they replace him.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

When we lost in 96 there was almost a sense of national mourning - I took the dog out straight after the final whistle and people were spilling out of pubs crying. To this day people can't watch a replay of Gazza's foot skimming the ball without a twinge of regret.

In 2024 it's almost relief. It never felt like the country was united behind them as they parked the bus in every game - 6.5 xG in 700 minutes of football. Nobody is ever looking back at that misty eyed.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    edited July 15

Although Gazza's goal against The Sweaties in 1996 will live long in the memory 🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507

A few England fans are starting to sound like French cycling fans going on about panache.

• Expectations have changed since 1996. Back then, prior to the kickoff, the English team was being pilloried for the Dentist's Chair incident, and there was no expectation of anything bar sneaking through the group stage. Getting to the semis, taking the lead, nearly winning in Golden Goal ET (I recall Anderton hitting the post too) and converting the first 5 penalties in the shootout, only to lose, was almost too much to take.

Expectations this time were so much higher, to the extent that England were apparently the bookies' favourites (in England at least) and anything other than winning like Brazil in 1970 would be a failure.

Plus, more blowhards than is good for anyone have a "platform" on Twitter these days.

• What's an xG? Are they more important than goals?

• TheBigBean

Expected goals based on shots. A penalty, for example, has an xG of 0.8 whereas an own goal has an xG of 0. It's a measure with plenty of faults, but it does give a rough reflection whether the team was a bit unlucky and should have scored more or whether they just didn't create many chances.

• Thanks. So does that mean England overperformed, as they scored 8 goals vs 6.5 xGs?

• Jezyboy

I think it just means England played such dull football that it was even statistically dull.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

Yes basically

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Not sure the analogy holds.

Firstly, the French went from winning the Tour on a regular basis to not winning it for nearly 40 years, whereas England have only won one major footy event, and that was pretty lucky really, with home advantage etc and are now narrowly missing out, after decades of ****ing things up in the early stages.

Secondly, unsuccessful French riders get hailed as national heroes for losing bigly, but with panache, whereas England are missing out narrowly with a style that even Gareth Southgate's Mum might not describe as exciting.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

English fans are entitled and put too much emphasis, as they do in coaching, on individual excellent over the collective team effort.

• Jezyboy

It's more that the French used to overvalue panache and have a deep mistrust of anything that could result in performance, like power meters or training on your TT bike occasionally, then get over excited when Tommy V was allowed to stay in yellow for a few days. England football fans seem disappointed by Southgate playing the percentages rather than going out and risking losing with style.

• TheBigBean

Yes a bit. Last night's match was 1.95 vs 0.53 in xG. The previous game was 1.47 vs 0.65 to Switzerland.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671

Our collective performance was pretty bad though.

We were, however, exceedingly lucky. If Slovakia had wasted time after the 90 minutes were up as efficiently as Spain did, we wouldn't have made it anywhere near the final.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,875

There is only one stat that matters, the final score.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So are you saying that Spain "won" 1.95-0.53 in xG?

More pertinently, were there any games in the tournament where the xG result was the opposite of the old-school goals-based assessment?

• Most winning teams in tournaments have a few struggles. I read elsewhere that only Brazil 2002 and Spain 2024 have won all 7 matches in a 7 match tournament. So the r/u having a bumpy ride is hardly exactly a left-field occurrence.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,901

I think England fans have to be realistic. Spain were the best team in the tournament and deserved to win. They have found another level and it is one England and other teams will have to try and match.

Personally I feel Southgate has earned the right to one more go, but I suspect he will walk away.

I think the idea that if we "let the handbrake off" as many pundits put it, we will automatically win a major tournament is probably an oversimplification. One of our best games under Southgate as France in 2022. We were attacking and created chances and still lost that match.

As we have seen, especially with England, the Manager has to get the environment right and then get the tactical plan and decision making right. I suspect we will really struggle to find another Manager that does the first part as well as Southgate.

I think the positive is the youth of the squad and the emergence of players like Guehi and Mainoo. We also showed the resilience this tournament, but unfortunately not the quality as a whole (moments of individual brilliance aside).

In spite of Kane's poor showing, we also need to recognise we have had a world class striker for years and there is no replacement. We have always had a succesor in place; owen after Shearer, Rooney after Owen, Kane after Rooney. We don't have that, and either have to commit to developing Watkins/Toney or change formation to move away from a traditional striker.

• Don't recall passing comment either way re enjoyment, but I'll take a tournament where England make the final over the nonsense we got served up in the Keegan, McClaren, Capello and Hodgson eras any day of the week. And tbh, the Sven era flattered to deceive, folding like a pack of cards just before HT against Brazil in the 2002 QF.

But I liked Wiggo's Tour win, which wasn't to the liking of the "Panache Posse".