Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,476

And there's the rub - I think he has no awareness of how he comes across, or if he does, he thinks he's playing a blinder.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607

Well yes, but the spotty oiks who were accepted to Christchurch at birth are actually writing this stuff.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

It's perfectly possible to receive all the advantages that money can buy and still be not very good at your job.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

Well clearly. But it was still pre scripted, because wit isn't one of his strengths. So why? Because them and us is always the Tory calculus, and there aren't many of "them". Perfect out grouping.

• rjsterry

They know they are screwed and desperately scrambling around for anything they think they can hit Starmer with. There isn't much so they are reduced to this infantile stuff about not knowing what a woman is.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    edited February 8

It’s rather naive of the Tory party strategists to think this £28bn stuff on labour can stick when the PM made his name by, as chancellor, making the money printed go brrr and literally paying people to take some time off work and do f@ck all, and then his first major policy as PM was a £43bn energy subsidy.

If you add in the fuel tax breaks, cost-of-living support (aided by the Truss premiership), and business support it amounted to £78bn

And all for what?

• You say this is "infantile stuff" but there's more than one Labour MP on record as saying that women can have penises. This might sit well with a certain type of activist or a certain type of academic, but without flexing definitions somewhat generously, it will sound like utter madness to many folk. So highlighting Starmer's indecisiveness on the definition of a woman is a reasonable attack line.

Clearly, he didn't quite "read the room" with the timing of his jibe in PMQs yesterday. Which is actually one of his main problems. He doesn't seem able to read the room about anything.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

That second paragraph nails it. It was the same when he claimed the cost of living crisis was easing. He plainly doesn’t understand people.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 8

More evidence that the job you have is not evidence you have the skills and qualities to do said job.

A constant battle I have with my peers and bosses.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101

absolutely

same with criminalising climbing on war memorials, revealing he talked to johnson etc.

it's all about the gammons, to make them less likely to defect to reform

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited February 8

There has long been a theory that people rise to their level of incompetency.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    edited February 8
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Everything is about hanging onto the support they still have rather than working out what matters to those they need to attract. When your core vote is going to be dying off over the next decade or so it feels a high risk strategy unless they are counting that the same things will be important to the next generation as they get older.

FWIW I can understand why people get upset about the war memorials but it does add to the feeling that they don't really understand the priorities for the majority of people and it could be something they sorted out without making a major song and dance about it simply by amending existing legislation.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769

Yesterdays poor judgement in PMQ's, and also his inability to deal with P Morgans bet ambush last week do show an alarming lack of ability to think on his feet and react appropriately.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey

My theory that being a Brexiter makes you a bad governor is so far holding a lot of water.

• rjsterry

I don't think Labour are that much more grown up about it. I'm fairly exhausted by the absolutists on either side of this and many other topics.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

He's hopelessly out of touch. Right down to changing his accent to "chatty/mockbey" when he's trying to sound like an everyman.

• rick_chasey

GMTV - 30 mins on homeowners who are furious that they’re building a warehouse behind their house in Corby.

NIMBY world

• rjsterry

Have just read that he's considering inviting Johnson back to the cabinet. I actually feel a little bit sorry for the junior people working in No. 10

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

Lol, they knew what they were getting into.

Political equivalent of joining FTX and then not leaving when you realise what's going on.

• Agreed. The tide is against the Tories and thus everything they do that is questionable is used as a "big stick" to whack them round the head, whilst Labour currently gets a relative free pass for questionable actions, because they're "surfing the wave". Give it 5 years and the situation will be reversed, albeit in respect of different subject matter, as what matters is wielding the big stick and there's always something that can be found to justify doing this.

Tbh, yesterday was a very unedifying day in UK politics. Sunak's jibe was pretty crass (as I assume he knew that Esther Ghey was on the premises), Starmer's response felt very "manufactured", as though he was expecting EG to be in the gallery when she wasn't actually there, and there appears to be a concerted effort by Labour MPs to push the "How can he say that when the poor mother was in the gallery?" angle, despite it having been reported in the BBC and commented on widely on social media that she wasn't actually there at the time.

And that's without getting into discussions as to why Brianna Ghey warrants this kind of deification by the Labour Party (and others) when the far too numerous other kids that get murdered barely warrant a mention before being forgotten.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

A Lord Spaffer alongside Lord Gammonfacedpigbotherer... meanwhile Mad Nad doesn't make it. 🤔

How long can it be before (not my) 'king' Brian leads his military vehicles down Whitehall, put an end to this shitshow?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731

Starmer said that Esther Ghey was in the gallery at the start of his question (after sending his best wishes to king prince charles).

If Sunak wasn't aware, that means he either wasn't listening at all to Starmer, or managed to forget within 30 seconds.

Starmer's response didn't seem manufactured, probably just disbelieving that he could possibly say that. I was watching live for some reason and was shocked that he hadn't censored himself given what Starmer had just said. In the moment it was horribly crass.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

Obviously cracking the joke when Brianna Ghey's mum was present was poor timing but I wouldn't under estimate the difficulty Labour faces in trying to win back "traditional" Labour voters without alienating ethnic groups and the woke vote. I suspect the election will be far closer than current polls suggest.

I mean Sunak's comment was crass and insensitive and Starmer's position is in line with uk law but don't most people think that women don't have a c ock and balls? Yet people like JK Rowling have been vilified for saying so. The fact Starmer is unwilling or unable (due to the make up of his party) to say so makes him vulnerable.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry

I'm not sure most people have given it much thought if they think it's that simple.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

People in Corby think something can make the place worse? Talk about delusional!

• Interesting. Didn't know that Starmer had mislead the House by stating Esther Ghey was in the gallery when she wasn't.

• Pross

Labour doing their best to enter the incompetence stakes with their green pledge. Always dangerous to go committing to a fixed level of spending especially when you are likely to be inheriting a financial shitshow then you have make an embarassing u-turn (although they deem to be de rigueur these days). That said, the Tories criticising is a bit rich considering all the unravelling of what had once been some pretty decent environmental policies they've done in the last couple of years and this week's promises by the Popular Front For The Liberation Of Conservatives or whatever they're calling themselves to cut back even more.