Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• ...utterly uninsuerable...

Check out the FloodRe scheme that's been around for 5 or so years.

• orraloon said:

Or, as in case of what used to be a bank and is now The Bank restaurant, build higher so your ground floor is 2m+ above the rest.

There's a pub in York that always hits the news when the Ouse floods as the ground floor is right in the firing line. It looks good on telly, but the ground floor has only been used as a store room for years, and the pub part of the pub is above the water line.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533

...utterly uninsuerable...

I found their chief underwriting officer ;) I know lol
  • rick_chasey
    Large swathes of America are currently uninsurable - partly because of local regs around price raises but also because the rising cost of insuring against increasing disasters as a result of climate change.

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/09/21/parts-of-america-are-becoming-uninsurable
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

People in Scotland now having to be evacuated by boat as they wouldn’t leave their homes when requested. No doubt there’ll be complaints that they weren’t warned despite the red warning.

Would you leave your home? I'd have to think pretty hard about it.
    If the option was staying there and going to sleep to find myself trapped then yes. It's not like the authorities are advising you to leave for the sake of it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

If people had built their houses on sticks they wouldn't need to move everything upstairs. I know the resident architect strongly disagrees with this approach to mitigation.

Not quite what I said. It's a solution but not one that is suitable for every location nor does it solve all the problems caused by flooding.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Just letting houses flood...is not the right approach.

We need proper investment in flood defences.

Flood defences can only do so much. Water finds its own level and if there's enough of it, flood defences simply deflect the problem elsewhere.

This just sounds like poor flood defences. Holland manages fine.
    Not many steep-sided valleys in Holland.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Flood defences can only do so much. Water finds its own level and if there's enough of it, flood defences simply deflect the problem elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if problem can't be overcome by enough money and will.
  • Pross

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

"How much are you willing to pay for this house that regularly floods?"
    Nothing, I'll buy elsewhere thanks.

You'd think that but there's a house in our village that got flooded in 2008, 2012 and 2015. It's sold twice since the 2008 flood!
    And those people will receive zero fucks of sympathy.
    I think this is the wrong approach.

With climate change this stuff is only going to get worse. When it comes to flooding the Dutch are a good model to follow. Just letting houses flood and saying "haha, your fault" is not the right approach.

If someone buys a place knowing it has flooded several times in the last decade and no flood defence work has been introduced then it is hard to find sympathy. If someone has been there years and is unable to sell then it's a different situation.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Everything is fixable if you throw enough money at it. It's just a question of how much.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ...utterly uninsuerable...

I found their chief underwriting officer ;) I know lol
    So did you do any research on what Flood Re actually exists for? It is to minimise the number of houses that are "uninsurable" due to flood risk, so your comment about uninsurable houses is a bit strange.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Everything is fixable if you throw enough money at it. It's just a question of how much.
    If the alternative is places are basically uninhabitable, I think "how much" is quite a lot.

This is the cost of climate change and why it makes sense to get emissions under control sooner.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You'd think that but there's a house in our village that got flooded in 2008, 2012 and 2015. It's sold twice since the 2008 flood!

With climate change this stuff is only going to get worse. When it comes to flooding the Dutch are a good model to follow. Just letting houses flood and saying "haha, your fault" is not the right approach.

If someone buys a place knowing it has flooded several times in the last decade and no flood defence work has been introduced then it is hard to find sympathy. If someone has been there years and is unable to sell then it's a different situation.
    There's another large group of people who don't have that much choice. Please let's not get into another round of empathy block and tutting at all the foolish little people.
  • Pross

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

There's another large group of people who don't have that much choice. Please let's not get into another round of empathy block and tutting at all the foolish little people.
    I'm not sure who this large group are that have little choice but to buy a house that has flooded several times in the last decade. As I say, if you were living there before it became a frequent occurence it is different.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    Yes they took a risk and lost. I'd still be sympathetic though - we all take risks in life.

Eldest has just bought a house in Hillsborough and a couple she liked were rejected because they eitner flooded or were very close to flooding in the past.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I'm not sure who this large group are that have little choice but to buy a house that has flooded several times in the last decade. As I say, if you were living there before it became a frequent occurence it is different.
    This forum suffers from demographic blindness.

Most people on here seem to be male, professional, middle aged and affluent.

Most other people aren't.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

If the alternative is places are basically uninhabitable, I think "how much" is quite a lot.

This is the cost of climate change and why it makes sense to get emissions under control sooner.
    Generally speaking, mitigation upstream is more effective and cheaper than river walls and adding semi-redundant storeys to buildings.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

This forum suffers from demographic blindness.

Most people on here seem to be male, professional, middle aged and affluent.

Most other people aren't.
    Still struggling with the relevance of that to buying a house with a flood history but I'm sure Rick will appreciate the demographic blindness reference. Are you saying non-male, non-professionals don't understand the concept of a house that floods not being a good thing? Was there anything in the original post by W&G that suggested the people have bought the house in question were of a different demographic?

If you have the finances to buy a house it is probably better to buy one that hasn't flooded several times in the previous few years. Buying one that does because it is affordable would appear to be a false economy.
  • First.Aspect
    Just watch the news. And then put yourself notionally in the same room shaking your head and saying, well I told you so.
  • Pross
    edited October 2023

Just watch the news. And then put yourself notionally in the same room shaking your head and saying, well I told you so.

Again, you seem to be missing the point that the comment was made about people choosing to move into a house that had flooded several times in the previous few years and not about all people living in areas prone to flooding. If you are already there when flooding starts to become a regular issue then it is obviously going to be difficult to get out.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Again, you seem to be missing the point that the comment was made about people choosing to move into a house that had flooded several times in the previous few years and not about all people living in areas prone to flooding. If you are already there when flooding starts to become a regular issue then it is obviously going to be difficult to get out.
    No, I'm not missing that point.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,855

Pross said:

Yeah you are, the point at which a house floods.
  • Pross said:

Was there anything in the original post by W&G that suggested the people have bought the house in question were of a different demographic?

If it helps:

Purchasers #1 were an all female professional couple, but otherwise fit the demographic.

Purchasers #2 were a traditional professional couple, fitting the demographic, each with a nice Beemer.

• rjsterry
    Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The EA notes that 2.4million dwellings are at risk of flooding from river or sea, and a further 2.8million dwellings susceptible to surface water flooding. That's roughly 1 in 5 dwellings.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The EA notes that 2.4million dwellings are at risk of flooding from river or sea, and a further 2.8million dwellings susceptible to surface water flooding. That's roughly 1 in 5 dwellings.
    Not many of them flood 3 or 4 times in a decade as in the case being discussed though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I know this isn’t the same as flooding but currently we have water coming in to the garage through the ceiling where the door from the house is. This has never happened in 3 years and there are no stains on the plaster to indicate it happened before. I guess this is because we don’t normally get 50 mph winds from the NE and torrential rain all at the same time.
    Some times you don’t know you are at risk till it happens.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not many of them flood 3 or 4 times in a decade as in the case being discussed though.
    The people saying there was regular flooding stayed because it regularly isn't that big a deal. This was unusually severe.
  • Pross

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The people saying there was regular flooding stayed because it regularly isn't that big a deal. This was unusually severe.
    Again, I was talking about the house W&G mentioned earlier that has sold twice since flooding 3 times in a 7 year period.

As for this time around, the weather forecast were saying it was extreme and forecasting 250mm of rain in 24 hours so they were being told it was unusually severe for several days in advance. I suppose you could argue there have been a few incidences of cry wolf with red weather warnings though. The last few I can recall in my area have ended up not being that bad so it can probably cause complacency.
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

No, I just don't agree with you or Pross.

I wouldn't stay I don't think. But then who knows? These people were about to lose a lot of belongings and possibly their homes entirely. I am not sure how I'd react when faced with that reality to be honest. Perhaps I would be outside with a bilge pump, or a large sponge.

A bit of sympathy and empathy wouldn't go amiss.
  • Pross

Pross said:

No, I just don't agree with you or Pross.

I wouldn't stay I don't think. But then who knows? These people were about to lose a lot of belongings and possibly their homes entirely. I am not sure how I'd react when faced with that reality to be honest. Perhaps I would be outside with a bilge pump, or a large sponge.

A bit of sympathy and empathy wouldn't go amiss.
    We're definitely talking cross purposes here. I haven't said I don't have sympathy with people affected by the floods in Scotland. I do think staying when advised to leave is irresponsible and serves no purpose - get your valuables up as high as possible and get out rather than making others have to get through flood waters to rescue you later - but I still have sympathy for them (as long as they don't then moan that no-one told them etc.). My lack of sympathy was in relation to people choosing to buy a home with several recent incidents of flooding in the event that they then got flooded again. Completely separate conversations that came out of the subject.