La Vuelta 2023: Stage 13:- Formigal - Col du Tourmalet 135Kms ***Spoilers***

12346»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2023

If I am Kuss, having the measure of all my opponents and on the brink of winning a grand tour, I am not going to be saying “oh that’s alright, I don’t mind giving up such a glittering prize and the big bucks that I can expect in the future.”
    Force him into submission and even someone as laid back as he is, will be out of the Jumbo door.

But similarly, Vingegaard and Roglc especially have had this race on the schedule since the beginning of the year, with the intention of winning. Kuss was a bit of an after thought.

Whatever happens someone is going to be peed off and resentful. It's not like one is clearly strongest.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

If I am Kuss, having the measure of all my opponents and on the brink of winning a grand tour, I am not going to be saying “oh that’s alright, I don’t mind giving up such a glittering prize and the big bucks that I can expect in the future.”
    Force him into submission and even someone as laid back as he is, will be out of the Jumbo door.

But similarly, Vingegaard and Roglc especially have had this race on the schedule since the beginning of the year, with the intention of winning. Kuss was a bit of an after thought.

Whatever happens someone is going to be peed off and resentful. It's not like one is clearly strongest.
    I agree with your final paragraph. My point was that in terms of causing the least friction, maintaining the status quo is the lesser evil.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tashman said:

Evenepoel finishes with a gap of 27 minutes

Broken

He'll be targeting stage wins now then. That's what we say, right?
    Well whaddaya know?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    If either Rog or Vingegaard are to win they are going to need either (a) Kuss to crack, (b) an antagonist to attack and give them licence to go up the road, or (c) to attack their own team mate in the red jersey.

How do you see it playing out?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951
    edited September 2023
    r0bh said:

If either Rog or Vingegaard are to win they are going to need either (a) Kuss to crack, (b) an antagonist to attack and give them licence to go up the road, or (c) to attack their own team mate in the red jersey.

How do you see it playing out?

Kuss to win, assuming he doesn't crack. This shouldn't happen given his climbing ability and the opposition (in other teams). Would the other two want a gifted Tour?
    I guess we will find out.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,192
    As per Snap! It's getting kinda hectic I've We've got the power.

Has to be the JV team objective for the podium 1,2,3.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

A question. If Remco isn't ill does that mean he is simply not GT GC material?
    Teams may be thinking negotiation status. I think he is ill, again. Which is still cause.

He's ill or over-raced. He's better than this.
    There’s a possibility it just feels futile for him. Jumbo are sooo strong and he looks like he is just on his own to try and counter them which must get into his head.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584
    I guess if you’re Vingers, what’s worth more, Kuss forever loyal at the next Tours or a Vuelta on the palmares?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

I guess if you’re Vingers, what’s worth more, Kuss forever loyal at the next Tours or a Vuelta on the palmares?

I think there is way stronger team unity and management than that at JV, nobody will be going rogue here (when is the last time you heard any stories about a JV rider going against team instructions). Kuss will win unless another team can force the pace enough to crack him. I can't see any team that looks remotely willing or able to force the pace enough to crack any of the trident, therefore Kuss has this.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378

I think there is way stronger team unity and management than that at JV, nobody will be going rogue here (when is the last time you heard any stories about a JV rider going against team instructions). Kuss will win unless another team can force the pace enough to crack him. I can't see any team that looks remotely willing or able to force the pace enough to crack any of the trident, therefore Kuss has this.
    Wout last year at the Tour one the early stage he won. He was supposed to wait for Jonas after his attack.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    He might be the exception but he isn't going for the overall win.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    One of the first classics this year when van hoojidonk and benoot (I think) kept chasing each other.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Truth is we don't know how Roglic and JV will feel about being told they cant race against Kuss. Yes no doubt they'd both like another Vuelta but they may well accept that in cycling riders sometimes have to sacrifice their chances for teammates.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Truth is we don't know how Roglic and JV will feel about being told they cant race against Kuss. Yes no doubt they'd both like another Vuelta but they may well accept that in cycling riders sometimes have to sacrifice their chances for teammates.

Surely they don't need to be told that they can't attack their own team mate in the leaders jersey?
  • r0bh said:

Truth is we don't know how Roglic and JV will feel about being told they cant race against Kuss. Yes no doubt they'd both like another Vuelta but they may well accept that in cycling riders sometimes have to sacrifice their chances for teammates.

Surely they don't need to be told that they can't attack their own team mate in the leaders jersey?
    Looks like they can as long as nobody goes along.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    There is a precedent. How did Argentin, Furlan and Berzin decide who would win La Flèche Wallonne in 1994?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2023
    DeadCalm said:

There is a precedent. How did Argentin, Furlan and Berzin decide who would win La Flèche Wallonne in 1994?

The designated leader - Argentin - won. Same as Mapei at Roubaix in 1996. Different dynamics in a one day race though.

(Also Telekom at the 2000 Olympics)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The parallel that occurred to me was the 2009 TDF

Civil war in Astana as Bruyneel and Armstrong try to bully Contador into lying down, in an attempt to get the win for Armstrong and get Kloden onto the podium.

Contador gives zero effs and rides away
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm said:

There was apparently a phone call from the sponsor when the three riders found themselves alone, saying victory had to go to Argentin. Berzin was by then anyway finished, having earlier worked so hard.

I find the P-R three 1-2-3 wins of the late 90s (Mapei/Gewiss?) more intriguing (i.e. in the sense, re who should win).

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    jimmyjams said:

DeadCalm said:

There was apparently a phone call from the sponsor when the three riders found themselves alone, saying victory had to go to Argentin. Berzin was by then anyway finished, having earlier worked so hard.

I find the P-R three 1-2-3 wins of the late 90s (Mapei/Gewiss?) more intriguing (i.e. in the sense, re who should win).

I doubt it needed a phonecall, Argentin would've told the other two he was winning.
  • The parallel that occurred to me was the 2009 TDF

Civil war in Astana as Bruyneel and Armstrong try to bully Contador into lying down, in an attempt to get the win for Armstrong and get Kloden onto the podium.

I never did work out how the Astana master plan would have got Armstrong above Andy Schleck even if Contador had fallen on his sword, or Kloden above Franck Schleck and Wiggo, but there's probably a reason why Bruyneel was a very successful DS whilst I'm an accountant.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584

The parallel that occurred to me was the 2009 TDF

I never did work out how the Astana master plan would have got Armstrong above Andy Schleck even if Contador had fallen on his sword, or Kloden above Franck Schleck and Wiggo, but there's probably a reason why Bruyneel was a very successful DS whilst I'm an accountant.
    Tbh being an ex pro who was very into doping and being able to connect new riders to the top doping doctors is fairly niche….
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483

The parallel that occurred to me was the 2009 TDF

presumably you can still practice and haven't been banned for life?