La Vuelta 2023: Stage 13:- Formigal - Col du Tourmalet 135Kms ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Very impressive.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Mega jumbo
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    daniel_b said:

Who thinks JV will try and fill the podium for the GC come the end of the race?

What's going to stop em?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Something tells me that this won't be the only Jumbot podium clean sweep of this race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,142
    edited September 2023
    Don’t like the sound of the Bora initiation ceremony that their guy has to ride with Vaseline in his back pocket.
  • Pross
    Jonas a bit emotional
  • The Tourmalet is just a great climb. That's my considered opinion.
  • Pross
    Same again tomorrow? Maybe a different order.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483

The Tourmalet is just a great climb. That's my considered opinion.

I’ll be honest, they looked faster than me when i went up.

First time I rode up tat side was one march. I couldn’t see anything due to the mist literally 3m visibility, and then just after the last right hander at 1.5km to go the fog lifted; stunning view all the way back down the valley. Mint.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Evenepoel finishes with a gap of 27 minutes

Broken
  • Tashman said:

Evenepoel finishes with a gap of 27 minutes

Broken

He'll be targeting stage wins now then. That's what we say, right?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    A stage with a few twists and with the demise of Evenepoel made for interesting viewing with how Jumbo would play it. The total dominance of Jumbo was pretty unique so.... I enjoyed the watch... not least as it was finishing on the Tourmalet (where they made me blush on how much faster they were riding it than I managed) but.... that dominance doesn't seem good for GT racing.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Time for a 'Rate the Vuelta' thread? :#
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There's a film called Bedazzled in which the devil played by Peter Cook or Liz Hurley depending on which version, offers Dudley Moore/Brendan Fraser a series of wishes. But each one turns out to have a catch which makes the protagonist's situation worse.

I get the feeling that one of those people in who constantly bemoaned about Sky's 'domination' in the 2010s got such a wish and wished for their dominance to end. And this is where we are.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Just caught up, Jonas looked toasted by the top, Kuss looked as if he could do it all day. It looked like Roglic rode to keep Kuss in red, would be surprised if he continues like that though - surely he wants the second win for the year more than just being a happy team player rewarding his loyal servant?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Wonder what magic place JV find these riders who seemingly can outride everyone else except maybe Pog. Remco had a Yates Giro 2018 day
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2023
    larkim said:

Just caught up, Jonas looked toasted by the top, Kuss looked as if he could do it all day. It looked like Roglic rode to keep Kuss in red, would be surprised if he continues like that though - surely he wants the second win for the year more than just being a happy team player rewarding his loyal servant?

I'm unconvinced that they'll happy with Kuss winning. Two GTs in one year has only been done twice in the last 25 years. Surely they're not going to pass up an opportunity. Roglic probably won't get another opportunity

Assuming Jumbo win this race, the person who came closest to beating them was a 37 year old. So much for the much vaunted new generation.
  • mooro said:

The Tourmalet is just a great climb. That's my considered opinion.

I’ll be honest, they looked faster than me when i went up.

First time I rode up tat side was one march. I couldn’t see anything due to the mist literally 3m visibility, and then just after the last right hander at 1.5km to go the fog lifted; stunning view all the way back down the valley. Mint.
    What was the plan for the descent with 3m visibility?
    RichN95. said:

There's a film called Bedazzled in which the devil played by Peter Cook or Liz Hurley depending on which version, offers Dudley Moore/Brendan Fraser a series of wishes. But each one turns out to have a catch which makes the protagonist's situation worse.

I get the feeling that one of those people in who constantly bemoaned about Sky's 'domination' in the 2010s got such a wish and wished for their dominance to end. And this is where we are.

The one with Liz Hurley is so much easier to watch for some reason! (.)(.)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    RichN95. said:

larkim said:

I'm unconvinced that they'll happy with Kuss winning. Two GTs in one year has only been done twice in the last 25 years. Surely they're not going to pass up an opportunity. Roglic probably won't get another opportunity

Assuming Jumbo win this race, the person who came closest to beating them was a 37 year old. So much for the much vaunted new generation.
    Vingegaard could also win two GTs in a single year. Just saying.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

larkim said:

A 37 year old who should swallow his pride and retire apparently
  • RichN95.
    phreak said:

Vingegaard could also win two GTs in a single year. Just saying.

It must have been an ambiguous post. I was including him. But he may have other chances.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95. said:

larkim said:

LOL
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2023
    I laugh if soler wins
  • Mas is no further back than usual at this stage.
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

larkim said:

LOL
    We can live in hope

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95. said:

larkim said:

From the team's perspective isn't winning all three GTs with three different riders the best exhibition of the strength of the team?
  • I imagine if you're Kuss tonight, your priority is making sure the mechanics have everything they need or want; beer, cigarettes, pizza, honestly lads, just ask, nothing is too much trouble

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

RichN95. said:

larkim said:

LOL
    We can live in hope

We're hoping QS find a way to screw it up from here?

• RichN95.
    r0bh said:

From the team's perspective isn't winning all three GTs with three different riders the best exhibition of the strength of the team?

From the team's perspective, sure. But Roglic and Vingegaard are team leaders. They're winners. They won't want to gift a GT to the staff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver