La Vuelta 2023: Stage 13:- Formigal - Col du Tourmalet 135Kms ***Spoilers***

Stage 13:- Formigal - Col du Tourmalet 135Kms

September 8th.
Start Time: 12-50BST.

Stage 13 signals the punishing push into France and across the epic peaks of the Pyrenees. It is a day of shorter distance, 135km, but long on elevation gain, 4,000 metres. In the reworked Vuelta route in 2020 due to the coronavirus global pandemic, the planned Tourmalet finish was wiped away since the race was restricted to crossing French borders.
The Tour de France visited the Tourmalet last July, but the climb was tackled from another side. In 2019, the Tour served the same finish climb as on La Vuelta’s 13th stage. Thibaut Pinot took the win ahead of yellow jersey Julian Alaphilippe.

The Aramón Formigal finish came in instead of the Tourmalet in 2020 and that’s where the 13th stage now kicks off. After crossing the Portalet pass La Vuelta then descends into France to tackle the Col d’Aubisque from the Laruns side. It is followed by the Col du Soulor and Col de Spandelles, before the riders fly down into Argelès-Gazost and after a false flat section in the valley the finish climb begins in Luz-Saint-Sauveur.

The Climbs.

This is a 16.5 kilometres ascent with an average gradient of 7.1%. The steepest stretches – 10 to 13% – are situated between Cascade de Valentin and the Gourette ski station.

The Col de Spandelles ascent is 10.3 kilometres long and averaging 8.3%.

The 18.9 kilometres Tourmalet ascent features eight hairpins and an average gradient of 7.6%.

Final Kms.

The hardest part is situated after the flamme rouge, as the last kilometre averages 10.5% and ramps up to 13.5% just before the finish.

What to Expect.

Odds are that we’ll see a huge battle for the red jersey, although a successful breakaway can never be ruled out entirely. Which probably means a lot of yellow jerseys at the front, pulling the legs off an every decreasing group of climbers.

Formigal

one La Vuelta departure
1,519 inhabitants

Formigal hosted its first La Vuelta departure in 1977, although Sallent de Gállego has seen the race ride through its territory during the last years. In 2020, Aramón Formigal replaced the Tourmalet as a stage finale and endured a cold and rainy day. Ion Izagirre was victorious and Richard Carapaz knocked Primož Roglič off the top spot and wore La Roja. Found in the heart of the Pyrenees, the area’s culture is very closely-linked to nature and snow.

Col du Tourmalet

Unprecedented La Vuelta finish

Col du Tourmalet is one of the highest paved mountain passes in the French Pyrenees, in the department of Hautes-Pyrénées. The Tourmalet is part of cycling history. A classic Tour de France mountain pass, this Pyrenean colossus makes its La Vuelta debut with a stage finale, three years after the pandemic thwarted its debut in the Spanish Tour back in 2020.

Irouléguy rouge

This small French appellation is located in the French Basque country. Although white and rosé wines are also produced, fruity and tannic red wines are the hallmark of the region. The principal grapes used in the area are Tannat and Cabernet Franc with small percentages of Cabernet Sauvignon. Irouléguy wines have firm tannins, appealing robustness, and typical aromas of red and black fruit that are complemented by notes of spices and undergrowth which may become more prominent with age.

Piperade

Piperade is a traditional dish from the region of French (and Spanish) Basque Country, consisting of tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and Espelette pepper, while garlic, ham, and eggs are often added to the dish to enhance its flavors.

Poulet Basquaise

Simple, yet bursting with typical French and Mediterranean flavors, poulet Basquaise is one of the most famous French stews. Translated as Basque-style chicken, the dish incorporates authentic French ingredients and traditional French cooking techniques.
The main ingredient in this classic dish is chicken, usually only legs or thighs which are generously spiced with Espelette pepper, an authentic French pepper variety. Another traditional French ingredient in the dish is Bayonne ham, the salty, air-dried ham which gives a smoky flavor to the stew.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Which Jumbo leader is going to attach on spandelles? My guess is Vingergaard.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    They don't need to attack.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133
    This is going to be the day when Remco cracks and it becomes a 3 horse race with all the horses being from one stable isn’t it?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

This is going to be the day when Remco cracks and it becomes a 3 horse race with all the horses being from one stable isn’t it?

I don't think Ayuso, Almeida and Soler will all manage to drop Evenepoel.

Formigal - a name synonymous with a game changing breakaway. Maybe the same again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    I reckon Remco could be ok on this one. The tourmalet is super steady from that side apart from through the town halfway up and the final 500m kicker round the hairpin.

Roglic wants to go for this but I can’t see Kuss being able to drop Remco. If it was upto to JV I reckon he’d solely support Kuss but Roglic is older and probably keener for two tours this year.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    I'd expect JV to have Vingegaard being the one pulling with Roglic attacking at some point if Remco gets into trouble and Kuss just staying on Remco playing the defensive game.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    The Spandelles is a tough climb so that is likely to shred the field to pieces. I wonder if it will play out similarly to the Tour stage where Pog and JV duked it out over that before eventually dropping everyone on Hautucam?
  • Full stage coverage today, km0 at 12:58 uk time.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Didn't realise how infrequent it was to actually finish atop the Tourmalet.
  • Completely avoiding the other side is the correct option.
  • Only visited La Minging in the summer. Presume it has more charm in the winter?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited September 2023
    The race has actually started while Orla and co are wagging chins.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited September 2023
    Hell.of a profile isn't it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Not sure where bardet thinks he is going
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kirby has been sniffing the glue again. Awful.
  • mididoctors
    No team really taking it up ...natural attrition
  • Almeida in big trouble.
    Dropped on the Aubisque.
  • Pross

Kirby has been sniffing the glue again. Awful.

His panic trying to work out who Max Poole is when Robbie pointed him out on the front was cringy but funny.

He’s just announced he is doing an ‘Evening With’ in Twickenham for those lucky enough to live nearby. That said he won’t be the worst thing appearing at Twickenham this year!
  • Pross

Almeida in big trouble.
    Dropped on the Aubisque.

He should swallow his pride and retire, he even got beaten by Geraint at the Giro.
  • Pross
    Remco dropped too.
  • mididoctors
    Remco feeling it...dropped
  • Evenepoel also dropped and with Almeida.
    McEwen comment seems apt. The something seriously wrong
  • This could be it. A procession if Remco doesn’t get back.

No way Jumbo will attack Kuss. They’re not Movistar
  • Pross
    It feels almost certain that Ineos will be announcing Remco as a new signing now!
  • Remco getting dropped from the dropped group
  • Pross
    Think he’s going to be an abandon soon.
  • This is disastrous for the race.
    Jumbo procession all the way to Madrid.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,510

This is disastrous for the race.
    Jumbo procession all the way to Madrid.

The other two UAE riders are still there though.
  • Love that balcony road between the Aubisque and the Soulor
  • What is Kirby talking about that Evenepoel would be beating JV if there weren't three of them? Evenepoel is obviously unwell to be dropped like that.