Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2023
    The Women's U23 jersey is weird to me. Unlike the men, there's no U23 circuit*. There's no race they can wear the jersey in. If the men ride in the elite race they can't again race in the U23. As noted above Blanka Vas already has a fourth place.
    The podium are all in the top 80 in the UCI rankings, van Anrooji is 20th, compared to the men who are all outside the top 300.

The reason just seems to be 'equality' - but is it adding anything to women's cycling?

*I also think World Tour and ProConti riders should not be eligible for the men's race
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    RichN95. said:

The Women's U23 jersey is weird to me. Unlike the men, there's no U23 circuit*. There's no race they can wear the jersey in. If the men ride in the elite race they can't again race in the U23. As noted above Blanka Vas already has a fourth place.
    The podium are all in the top 80 in the UCI rankings, van Anrooji is 20th, compared to the men who are all outside the top 300.

The reason just seems to be 'equality' - but is it adding anything to women's cycling?

*I also think World Tour and ProConti riders should not be eligible for the men's race

There will be a separate women's u23 race from 2025, as I understand it. There definitely needs to be a clear pathway from the junior to the professional ranks for women, as the gap between the two at the moment is too wide.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Was it on here that someone mentioned the watch given to the para athlete?

Anyway... :)

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Was it on here that someone mentioned the watch given to the para athlete?

Anyway... :)

Think that was a twitter cycling memes account.

But I don't see anyone moaning that Lotte Kopecky doesn't have three arms for her watches
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Didn't watch any live but I've just done a catch-up of the women's artistic final (I was bored) I wasn't aware you could actually do that on a bike. Blimey.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    'twas I. And that's the guy. Full respect to him.

That clip is on Whitesands Dumfries with the Caul behind in the R Nith. TTs started and finished there.
  • orraloon
    Just catched up on the MTB XCO men's. Pidders is something else on this and CX. Should he just bin off the GT roadie stuff?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    orraloon said:

Just catched up on the MTB XCO men's. Pidders is something else on this and CX. Should he just bin off the GT roadie stuff?

Yes.
  • And Pidcock said his gears weren't working properly so he couldn't go all out uphill 😳
  • orraloon
    Now (I was out and busy last week 😉) watching Artistic Cycling elite pair final. Jings! How do peeps do that sort of stuff? Says a 100kg oldie 😊
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    orraloon said:

Depends if he wants to be financially set up for life or not when he retires.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390
    edited August 2023
    orraloon said:

I guess this depends what he wants. He seems to have MTB thoroughly stitched up and doesn’t have much to prove at cross. Another 5 years proving he’s the best cross / MTB rider might be a little unfulfilling. Whereas a serious tilt at Grand Tours could make him the stuff of legends.

But winning is very addictive, and focusing on what he’s already the best at to fill the trophy cabinet wouldn’t be the worst plan ever!

I’d not want him to ditch the MTB / cross just to be someone else’s “super dom” on the road though.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    andyp said:

orraloon said:

Does 13th at the tour do that more than Olympic golds?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

andyp said:

orraloon said:

According to google Nico Schurter who has won everything in Mountain biking more times than anyone is worth 5 million, which is the same is Tom Pidcock.
    So 15 years as a Mountainbike pro or 5 as a roadie.
  • webboo said:

andyp said:

orraloon said:

According to google Nico Schurter who has won everything in Mountain biking more times than anyone is worth 5 million, which is the same is Tom Pidcock.
    TP has only really been a roadie for 2 years, and obviously if he made it big in Grand Tour terms his marketability would increase dramatically.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

andyp said:

orraloon said:

It would if he continues to throw in stage wins.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo

webboo said:

andyp said:

orraloon said:

TP has only really been a roadie for 2 years, and obviously if he made it big in Grand Tour terms his marketability would increase dramatically.

Hardly given he won the baby giro and junior Paris Roubix plus numerous other things. He rode the senior worlds in 2020.
  • RichN95.
    webboo said:

webboo said:

andyp said:

orraloon said:

Hardly given he won the baby giro and junior Paris Roubix plus numerous other things. He rode the senior worlds in 2020.

He wasn't on a pro contract though.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    webboo said:

andyp said:

orraloon said:

According to google Nino Schurter who has won everything in Mountain biking more times than anyone is worth 5 million, which is the same is Tom Pidcock.
    The top MTB-ers are hardly at the poor house; Nino flying helicopters, Bernard Kerr owns a few flash cars...
    However, I'd reckon the mid/lower ranked road riders are far better paid than their counterparts in MTB.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2023
    A bit harsh on Pogacar comparing him to a disposable plastic accessory against two of the greatest physicists of the 20th century.

It's more EF DS, EF rider, EF sponsor
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Does Pidcock have much to gain by ditching the road if he can still rock up to the odd MTB race and win it?

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2023

Does Pidcock have much to gain by ditching the road if he can still rock up to the odd MTB race and win it?

I don't think he just rocks up. He has to do races to get up the grid due to the odd rankings.

Talk of Pidcock giving up MTB to concentrate on the road reminds me of the outcry when Thomas gave up classics to pursue GTs. He could have won a monument. What a waste.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ok does he have much to gain by giving up road so long as he can devote only a portion of his time to MTB and still win the big races ?

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95. said:

I don't think he just rocks up. He has to do races to get up the grid due to the odd rankings.

Talk of Pidcock giving up MTB to concentrate on the road reminds me of the outcry when Thomas gave up classics to pursue GTs. He could have won a monument. What a waste.
    He could have won a monument... but he did win the Tour. So that worked out ok really
  • webboo
    Pidcocks numbers that he gets in training and testing must be suggesting that he’s got potential on the road to fit in with his sponsors ambitions, otherwise they be letting him dominate Mountainbike racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I've always thought we could have some proper off road stages in a grand tour. We've seen the reintroduction of gravel and cobbles - ok it'd need another bike - but so does time trialling.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    What you mean like a full on XC Marathon stage?

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Ok does he have much to gain by giving up road so long as he can devote only a portion of his time to MTB and still win the big races ?

To quote Pidcock: "I don't have to choose, do I?"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    ddraver said:

What you mean like a full on XC Marathon stage?

Blimey, that would be carnage......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."