Glasgow Worlds 2023 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• Pross said:

do it like F1 and have qualifying.

This. One lap, staggered starts by thirty seconds or something. Nice little bonus for the spectators, little extra hosting cost. No argument about what's fair.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Crashes aside I think the favourites starting from the back makes for more interesting racing. Does anyone enjoy the F1 procession?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2023
    Trouble is that the world cups have the XCC for this. Hence TomPs rather ambivalent comments about his bronze medal...

For UCI reasons they don't do that for the World Champs and so have rules based on world cup ranking points....until they don't
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2023
    I think the objections of the regular riders is not the rule change, but the timing of it. It looks like favourable treatment for VDP and Pidcock - which it is. And possibly justified.

It's a bit daft doing it purely on rankings. Pidcock, the Olympic champion and winner of one of the four World Cup races this year is only 61st. Which suggests the rankings are screwed.

If you win a World Championship or Olympics - row 2 minimum for four years. Podium minimum for row four.
    If you win a World Cup race - minimum row four for four years.,

This would put Pidcock on row 2, VDP on row four and Sagan at the back.

Either that or just start everyone in a row in a big field next to the circuit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver said:

MvdP & UCI Vs the rules is causing problems...

Evie on board too... 🫢

Edit: a lot of support across the board tbh. Think they've got a point tbf

Can't read that on my phone, s'all blurry. I get the gist from the context, but who was it so I can got and look myself...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Blimey, this is mad. How the hell can Sagan be up there as well?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Jolanda Neff's point is the most telling to me. Only applying the rules for one of the races is iffy at best. Rotten to the core at worst.

Then I remembered we're talking about the UCI and then it just becomes par for the course
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I'm not sure it's rotten, it's just unprofessional and ill thought out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    The simple solution from next season is to implement something like the World Cup rules. So, Row 4/5 is for riders who are Top 10/20 in another discipline. I did see a suggestion about having to ride in x number of World Cups.....I think that came up years ago in CX when PFP appeared and won the Worlds after hardly riding all season.

Change the rules after the season not one day before the biggest race of the year. People have planned their seasons racing, and gaining points to get gridding positions for this race, knowing the qualification system in place. Now it's changed....Really?

And what is Sagan doing up there? No results in any major discipline for years.....A right UCI mess.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    ddraver said:

MvdP & UCI Vs the rules is causing problems...

Evie on board too... 🫢

Edit: a lot of support across the board tbh. Think they've got a point tbf

Somebody mentioned that Sam Gaze (another Alpecin rider) wasn't on the list of names. However, his other half tweeted a meme of Mourinho "I can't say anything.."
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    andyrac said:

The simple solution from next season is to implement something like the World Cup rules. So, Row 4/5 is for riders who are Top 10/20 in another discipline. I did see a suggestion about having to ride in x number of World Cups.....I think that came up years ago in CX when PFP appeared and won the Worlds after hardly riding all season.

Change the rules after the season not one day before the biggest race of the year. People have planned their seasons racing, and gaining points to get gridding positions for this race, knowing the qualification system in place. Now it's changed....Really?

And what is Sagan doing up there? No results in any major discipline for years.....A right UCI mess.

Sagan is going to go backwards I would suggest.

Absolutely no chance of winning (although me saying that's probably given him some 😆)
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Looks like they respect that Pidcock raced world cups to get his position (although I’m not sure why he’s gridded 33rd when he’s 19th in World Cup standings) could almost live with MVDP being seeded higher but don’t understand Sagan at all
  • andyrac
    neonriver said:

Looks like they respect that Pidcock raced world cups to get his position (although I’m not sure why he’s gridded 33rd when he’s 19th in World Cup standings) could almost live with MVDP being seeded higher but don’t understand Sagan at all

World Cup rankings don't matter; all on UCI ranking. Includes Top 10 CX, or Top 20 from Road....Sagan is in the 300s...Make sense of that.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    What baffles me is how they didn't think about this a few weeks or months ago and tell riders then. And Jeff is absolutely right. We can always rely on the UCI to fuck things up.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyrac
    edited August 2023
    The rain has started; could make things interesting....skills come to the fore in slippery conditions - Neff territory.
    However, PFP looks to be in her Worlds form, which is ominous for the others - climbing almost effortlessly. Evie wanted the rain and I think she can get a medal....

As for the men's, if the rain continues, then it might not suit Nino who is supposed to dislike it. However, Carod does, and won in Monte Saint-Anne last season.

One thing to mention is that MTB Worlds can sometimes throw up a surprise winner; recently, Courtney in 2018, Sarrou in 2020 & Richards in 2021 - all won the Worlds before winning a World Cup.
  • gweeds
    PFP is on it today. Absolutely flying.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyrac
    A different PFP to the one last seen in Val di Sole 6 weeks ago......She knows how to target this race - the others are prep/ bonus.
  • ddraver
    PFPower

Battle for third is the most interesting race.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Something terminator like about PFP standing climbing...
    - @ddraver
  • neonriver
    U23 road race is a crashfest even before the circuits
  • ddraver
    Allez les Bleus

France 1,2 and puck picks Mona's pocket right at the last for third.

Brave ride by Evie but she's lacked the last few percent all season unfortunately. Next time!
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    edited August 2023
    Very wet for the Men's U23 race now

Edit: and now the sun is out again
  • gweeds
    This circuit is a joke for the World's. So many crashes on these surfaces.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    U23s, is there anyone who hasn't had an off?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Just put on the U23 race

3 crashes in c5mins.

Rafferty (🇮🇪) down on the pedestrianised section. Peloton follow him to the deck

Route looks deadly today
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • neonriver
    gweeds said:

This circuit is a joke for the World's. So many crashes on these surfaces.

You’d have a point if there hadn’t been at least half a dozen crashes before they even hit the circuit
  • Crashes just about on every other corner.
    Lucky with the weather last week….
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrac
    PFP is the best at hitting form for Worlds; if you want to beat/ compete with her you'd almost have to sacrifice the early season...

Schurter does it completely different; races for the win everywhere all season and can win World Cups, Overalls & World champs.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    The Italian rider in the chase group in the U23 race is really annoying. Refusing to do a turn but following anything the others try. Hope the Slovakian guy wins out of that group as he’s the only one who has tried to pull the French rider back.