TDF 2023: Stage 13:- Châtillon-Sur-Chalaronne to Grand Colombier, 138km ***Spoilers***

Stage 13:- Châtillon-Sur-Chalaronne to Grand Colombier, 138km

Friday, July 14
Start Time 12-45pmBST.

It’s Bastille Day and the final climb up to Grand Colombier awaits the pro riders at the end of this short stage. This will be the fifth inclusion, while it will be the second finish at the top. Stage 13 on the Tour de France travels from Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne to the brutal pass in the Jura Mountains. The Tour de France never before visited Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne, a village 50 kilometres north of Lyon.

The yellow caravan goes eastward to penetrate the Jura Mountains and takes place entirely in the Ain department. The riders climb to the Lèbe observatory – a long drag at shallow gradients, so the approach is less demanding this time. The Grand Colombier peaks out at over 1,500 metres.

The Climb.

This pass lies at the southern extremity of the Jura in the massif of the Grand Colombier. With the Col du Chasseral, it is the highest road pass in the Jura.
The Col du Grand Colombier is a col with a length of 17.4 kilometer. This is a highest category (HC) col. It is located in Culoz. The average grade of this col is 7.4% with a maximum of 11.1%. The Col du Grand Colombier ascents from 248 meter at the start, to 1.498 meter at the top, with a total of 1.250 ascending meters.
It's also known as the “Bugey pyramid”.

Last Kms.

Over cattle grids into mountain meadows and then, apart from a few steepish bits, the difficult work is over. The last 3 kms take you above the tree line, and if the cloud cover is absent, there are wonderful views towards Mont Blanc.

What to Expect.

Time for the gloves to come off as the GC hopefuls begin the four days that will define this edition.
It's a short stage with limited opportunities to for a break, so I see this one being won by someone involved in the fight for yellow.

Châtillon-Sur-Chalaronne

Stage town for the first time.
Population: 5,000 (Châtillonnais.es), 39,500 in the Communauté de communes de la Dombes.

Ensconced in the banks of a peaceful river at the heart of Dombes, the charming medieval town of Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne, a floral town with a 4-flower rating and winner of the National Floral Grand Prix, contains wonderful heritage buildings within a magnificent floral setting. These include the picturesque timber-framed houses, old 17th-century wooden market hall, the gate of Villars, the Church of Saint-André in the flamboyant gothic style, Saint Vincent de Paul House, and the relics of the old castle. The floral bridges and riverbanks of the Chalaronne are ideal for a leisurely stroll and make an enchanting sight for walkers and flower-lovers.

CHÂTILLON-SUR-CHALARONNE AND CYCLING

This county town of 5,000 souls can already boast a fine cycling past. The medieval city has already hosted the Critérium du Dauphiné, Paris-Nice, the Tour de l'Ain and the Tour de l'Avenir on several occasions. It was only logical that the Tour de France should end up stopping here. The last time a high-level race passed through the town was last year, in the Tour de l'Ain, where Châtillon was the start of a stage won in Val Revermont by Jake Stewart (Groupama-FDJ). In the 2012 Tour de l'Avenir, it was Dutch rider Moreno Hofland who raised his arms. A rider born in Châtillon, Charles Perraud, took part in the 1906 Tour de France.

Gastronomy.

Carp in all forms
Carp are at home in the ponds of the Dombes and can be found on the market in the Halles de Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne in all forms: fillets (often served with red butter), terrine, goujonnettes and even sausage (with a sorrel sauce)!

Painillon de Châtillon
The story goes that this delicacy was created in 1658 during the visit of Mademoiselle de Montpensier, granddaughter of Henry IV and sovereign of the Dombes. The Petit Pain de Châtillon (i.e. painillon), a saffron-flavoured delicacy, was made by the town's Ursuline nuns and was reputed to have anti-malarial properties. Today the recipe has been revisited to achieve a perfect balance of flavours between saffron and almond cream. Blonde or coated with chocolate, these little sweets can be found at Ain Délice in Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne.

Grand Colombier

Stage site for the second time, ridden 4 times in a stage.
Population: 33,840 in the Community of Communes Bugey Sud (43 communes)

GRAND COLOMBIER AND CYCLING

The Grand Colombier was tackled for the first time by the Tour de France in 2012, after having been for a long time the main ascent of the Tour de l'Ain. It is on the way to becoming one of the classic climbs of the Grande Boucle, a status that the first summit finish in 2020 confirmed without any doubt. That day, Tadej Pogacar took his second stage win there, a warning before the shock of the time trial of La Planche des Belles Filles, when he toppled Primoz Roglic for the overall victory. Considered as one of the most difficult passes in France, Grand Colombier was conquered by Thomas Voeckler in 2012, by Rafal Majka in 2016 and finally by Warren Barguil in 2017. Five stages of the Tour de l'Ain have ended at the summit of the Grand Colombier, the last two won by Thibaut Pinot, in 2011 and 2019.

Diots au marc du Bugey

A diot is a Savoyard sausage, traditional in Savoyard cuisine. Available in various ways: plain, pure pork, smoked, with cabbage, Beaufort, it is generally cooked with onions and wine from the Savoy vineyard, and served with tartifles (potatoes, in Savoyard).

Bugey truffles

Also known as the black diamond by the gastronome Brillat Savarin, Le Bugey truffle is one of the most popular culinary specialities in Ain, and one of the least-known in the rest of France. Used as a seasoning in oils or vinaigrettes, or as a side dish, this black mushroom is similar to that found in Périgord.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    With just two hills on it, at least it'll be easy compared to today's stage.

[checks vertical scale]

Ah.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,659
    Nice to see a return of the RichN95 patented "hockey stick stage" make a return now the Sky days are over

Difficult to see anything other than UAE controlling on the flat for a Pog attack on the hill

Whether Pog succeeds is another matter

For those that like to back a long shot, Pierre Latour (2nd at Put De Dome) is available at 100/1 and James Shaw (5th at Cauterets) at 200/1
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847

Nice to see a return of the RichN95 patented "hockey stick stage" make a return now the Sky days are over

Difficult to see anything other than UAE controlling on the flat for a Pog attack on the hill

For those that like to back a long shot, Pierre Latour (2nd at Put De Dome) is available at 100/1 and James Shaw (5th at Cauterets) at 200/1

Not quite a hockey stick, the unclassified climb before goes up to 900m!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879
    Looking forward to a good old GC battle.
    First stage that I'll be able to watch too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,871

Not quite a hockey stick, the unclassified climb before goes up to 900m!
    20kms at 2.9%.

It does have a five and a half km section at just under 6% average, too.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,330
    It's almost Vuelta-esque to have the intermediate sprint point denoted as 7.9km @ 4.7%.
  • kingstongraham
    Got to love a climb like this

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    The joys of TdF climb ratings. On another day that would be a 3rd cat climb probably. Goes to show the nonsense that a certain commentator was spouting a few days ago with the old tale of the category being based on the gear some old French car needed to use on a climb. It may have been the case in the early days but now it is completely random.
  • Got to love a climb like this

A mate cycled up there 2 days ago - said the hairpins were completely swamped by camper vans. Might ruin the aesthetic a bit
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,133

A mate cycled up there 2 days ago - said the hairpins were completely swamped by camper vans. Might ruin the aesthetic a bit
    They've probably been moved on since, there's no vehicular access allowed up there for the race.
  • Pross
    Surprised at the late kick off and short stage on Bastille Day.
  • andyp said:

They've probably been moved on since, there's no vehicular access allowed up there for the race.
    Think the road's been closed for a day, hence them getting in position early. He's sent me a few photos from today and there's quite a few cars/vans parked up
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,972
    Can a break go is the question of the day
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Surprised at the late kick off and short stage on Bastille Day.

Not exactly a breakaway favoured parcours for thr weaker french teams is it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Campernerts making a go of it .....
  • mididoctors
    Bettiol dragging Chavez across
  • mididoctors
    Too easy to follow ...... Getting away almost impossible
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    80km of attacking to start today's stage would be hilarious
  • blazing_saddles

Too easy to follow ...... Getting away almost impossible

It must be soul destroying.
    DSs telling everyone to stay at the front and attack, attack, attack, when everyone knows it's going to take an age for a break to form on such neutral parcour.
    I reckon Prudhomme's lot have deliberately done this, as it's bound to wear down many riders, just ahead of the Alps.
  • kingstongraham
    I thought that was it - but it isn't.
  • kingstongraham
    Come on Maxim Van Gils - do it for the velogames team.
  • mididoctors
    Brute force is a tactic
  • mididoctors
    Ag2R are going to mess this up for everyone
  • blazing_saddles
    This looks more promising
  • mididoctors
    Cross wind
  • Pross
    Break finally gets established but won’t be easy in the peloton as there seems to be a strong crosswind.
  • mididoctors
    Bryan stop please
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268

Both in the break :o
  • mididoctors
    How much does la tour or Shaw need at the base of the final climb
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268

How much does la tour or Shaw need at the base of the final climb

I'd say half an hour based on the way UAE are making it look like Pog's gonna smash it!