TDF 2023: Stage 5:- Pau to Laruns, 165km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Go on Fred ..use a big gear
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Cort and Wout get a small lead.
  • Pross
    Bettiol not Cort.
  • mididoctors
    WvA and bettiol. Ouch
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    andyp said:

I love the Marie-Blanque. Really scenic to begin with, and you wonder what all the fuss is about and then, bam, four kilometres of grovelling to the top.

I got very confused the first time I did it, as I'd ridden away from my riding companion, only to get to the top and find him sat by the side of the road. He'd had a heat stress incident, and a kindly local saw him, stopped to check he was okay, then bunged his bike in the back of the car and drove him to the summit.

Re getting a lift, the first time I went to the Alps, my lowest was 48x23 (just one chainwheel). After getting up the Telegraphe, I struggled on the Galibier and a young guy came by in an old Citroen 2CV, saw my problem, took out the backseat and hid it in some bushes (he said he was returning the next day, so would collect it then), put my bike partially dismantled in its place, and took me to the top of the pass.
    Later during the same trip, I did the Montgenevre, Sestriere and Larche as well as a couple of smaller passes with no real problem. So the Telegraphe and Galibier broke me in, so to speak.

When back home, in anticipation of future trips, I changed things – went to two chainwheels and a low of 40x28. However as I improved, and got a new bike, I then went in the other direction, i.e. to 42x24. But I still struggled with that ratio next time I tried the Galibier, so within another 2 years I got a better bike, with 39x26. With that I rode for 20 years over all the big Pyrenean and Alpine passes more than once without any problems, and at last also managed to do the Galibier in one (as part of the Marmotte).
    But with time catching up on me, I'm now on 34x28.
  • Pross
    Splitting now. Jakobsen out the back door. His bandages seem to be leaking blood, suspect he might not finish.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    Jakobsen is going to struggle to get through today and tomorrow
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Wout is putting a lot of effort in but not quite breaking the elastic.
  • mididoctors
    jimmyjams said:

andyp said:

I love the Marie-Blanque. Really scenic to begin with, and you wonder what all the fuss is about and then, bam, four kilometres of grovelling to the top.

I got very confused the first time I did it, as I'd ridden away from my riding companion, only to get to the top and find him sat by the side of the road. He'd had a heat stress incident, and a kindly local saw him, stopped to check he was okay, then bunged his bike in the back of the car and drove him to the summit.

Re getting a lift, the first time I went to the Alps, my lowest was 48x23 (just one chainwheel). After getting up the Telegraphe, I struggled on the Galibier and a young guy came by in an old Citroen 2CV, saw my problem, took out the backseat and hid it in some bushes (he said he was returning the next day, so would collect it then), put my bike partially dismantled in its place, and took me to the top of the pass.
    Later during the same trip, I did the Montgenevre, Sestriere and Larche as well as a couple of smaller passes with no real problem. So the Telegraphe and Galibier broke me in, so to speak.

When back home, in anticipation of future trips, I changed things – went to two chainwheels and a low of 40x28. However as I improved, and got a new bike, I then went in the other direction, i.e. to 42x24. But I still struggled with that ratio next time I tried the Galibier, so within another 2 years I got a better bike, with 39x26. With that I rode for 20 years over all the big Pyrenean and Alpine passes more than once without any problems, and at last also managed to do the Galibier in one (as part of the Marmotte).
    But with time catching up on me, I'm now on 34x28.
    Keep rolling 💪
  • Pross
    Jakobsen struggling to stay with Morkov but is back in the cars now.
  • Pross
    Wish the break would get established, I need to walk the dogs and do my run before we get to the first climb.
  • Pross
    Latour caught by a group of about 8 but still no real gap.
  • Pross
    All back together but stretched out.
  • mididoctors
    They can't let these guys go
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Jakobsen looks like he is screwed.
  • Pross
    Jakkobsen out the back again, doesn't look good for him.
  • kingstongraham
    Powless is in this one. Let it go.
  • Pross
    Splits all over the place now. A few groups merging into a large lead group.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    Jakobsen dropped on a speedbump, will do very well to finish today.
  • Pross
    Pog has a dig so that will be the end of the break attempt.
  • mididoctors
    Pog LOL
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    edited July 2023
    It's not just that Jakobsen looks crocked that's the problem - the body language as he came back didn't look great either, did it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    French client just put in a 3pm BST call; tosseur
  • Pross
    This looks really hard going.
  • Pross

French client just put in a 3pm BST call; tosseur

As long as he doesn't darg on you should catch the final climb and finish.
  • Pross
    Looks like we may have a break forming, Cavagna two-up with a Movistar rider and a group of around 15 trying to bridge. JV rider in the chasers.

Edit - no it's going to be closed again.
  • mididoctors
    This could take a while
  • Pross
    Jeez, it's in bits and they haven't even got to a proper climb yet.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2023
    Ouch
  • kingstongraham
    Waerenskjold knackered himself yesterday by the looks.