1235»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    webboo said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Only ever went to one of them. It was in one of those outlet shopping places just off the M1 up near Mansfield on my way back from a site meeting aroun 15 years ago. Wasn’t impressed.

That's a fair comment. I found one around the same time, it was a poor imitation.
    Either the originals were much better, rose tinted glasses, or easier pleased.
    I remember bigger potatoes, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside and loads of filling. Oh, and loads of real butter.
    Most places that do them now seem to microwave them or at least reheat them in a microwave. I’ve got a good place in my village but make a decent one myself, one of the joys of WFH is being able to one for lunch although I usually forget to chuck one in the oven early enough.

I would also be in the queue for Brian’s shop when it opens. I assume there’ll be options of mushy peas and gravy with his mash. Or cold with Branson pickle on the side. Getting hungry now!
    there will be no peas, gravy or branston in Brian's shop

I would allow those, but anything that goes in the box would be a sideshow, not the main attraction. When mash is done really well, it merits the spotlight. It would have to be lip-smackingly good every time for repeat custom.
    Whilst mash potato can be nice, who would pick it over chips except on health grounds.
    Maybe but that many, other than oldies who have lost their teeth, but I reckon good mash is better than soggy chips, and I've had enough of those over the years.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    webboo said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Only ever went to one of them. It was in one of those outlet shopping places just off the M1 up near Mansfield on my way back from a site meeting aroun 15 years ago. Wasn’t impressed.

That's a fair comment. I found one around the same time, it was a poor imitation.
    I remember bigger potatoes, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside and loads of filling. Oh, and loads of real butter.
    Most places that do them now seem to microwave them or at least reheat them in a microwave. I’ve got a good place in my village but make a decent one myself, one of the joys of WFH is being able to one for lunch although I usually forget to chuck one in the oven early enough.

I would also be in the queue for Brian’s shop when it opens. I assume there’ll be options of mushy peas and gravy with his mash. Or cold with Branson pickle on the side. Getting hungry now!

I would allow those, but anything that goes in the box would be a sideshow, not the main attraction. When mash is done really well, it merits the spotlight. It would have to be lip-smackingly good every time for repeat custom.
    Whilst mash potato can be nice, who would pick it over chips except on health grounds.
    I would politely suggest you're not putting enough butter in your mash if it's marginally healthier than chips.
  • briantrumpet

webboo said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I would politely suggest you're not putting enough butter in your mash if it's marginally healthier than chips.

You're forgetting the full-fat crème fraîche...

I suppose one could offer healthy options, even vegan, but really good mash should taste a bit naughty.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    I was tempted to chuck some clotted cream in the mash I made a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how it would turn out.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited July 2023
    The only time I really mash any potatoes is when I take the insides out of a baked potato. Mash it with milk, butter, cheese, pepper add onion put it back in the potato and bake it till it goes golden.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

I was tempted to chuck some clotted cream in the mash I made a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I'm sure it would be fine as a butter substitute. Maybe that's a version for the Cornish franchise
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    (They did the mash) It caught on in a flash
    (They did the mash) They did the monster mash
    😉
  • I was lucky enough to eat at Marco Pierre White when he had 3 michelin stars. He used to serve pommes puree, basically mash that was equal parts butter to potato passed through a fine sieve until it was like silk (based on a classic Joel Robuchon recipe). Probably the most potato dish I have ever eaten.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Pross said:

Given I put cream or double cream in my mash, then I can only see it as a good use of the clotted stuff.

• briantrumpet

I had the privilege of dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant in France a while back and tried their version of pommes puree. It was exquisitely smooth and rich in flavor, truly a gourmet take on the humble mashed potato. The finesse and technique of these Michelin chefs is just something else.

I think I watched one of the Roux clan doing scrambled eggs once... took them about 30 minutes, IIRC. It might have been exquisite, but I'm neither going to spend that much time doing a snack, nor pay a professional lots of money to do it.

I quite like mashed potato being cheap peasant food, for the same reason I like a good basic pasta with a basic tasty sauce... as you'd get at a roadside restaurant in Italy. But then I probably am a peasant.