Food & farming

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 18,907
edited June 2023 in The cake stop
Carrying on from the Brexit thread...
monkimark said:

I cant say that i've noticed a great difference in supermarket meat quality in france/uk/spain. Perhaps I'm very undiscerning.

I just searched for sirloin steak in Super u (the last foreign supermarket that recall buying meat from) and the price per kilo is almost exactly the same price as Tesco finest sirloin (a few quid more expensive than standard tesco sirloin.

Yup, that's my perception too. You'll not get old native breeds in continental supermarkets either, so if you want decent marbling to give flavour (see @laurentian), then you'll have to search elsewhere, whether you're in the UK or elsewhere. (I'm not sure what the native beef breeds are in France, and I've only seen a very few about, so they might be really hard to source.)

@rjsterry - I think you'll find that meat is not that much cheaper down south, not least as it's trickier in less temperate climates, and stuff like potatoes are considerably more expensive (2-3€/kg is the norm in the local market). However, if you like eating vast quantities of what's in season, especially in the summer (soft fruits especially), you can live like a king for not very much. But even I want to eat more than peaches and melons after a while.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196
    I'm sure Brexit is to blame in some way.
  • briantrumpet

Look back through my posts in the Brexit thread, and I think you'll see that even I haven't blamed shït meat on Brexit. Supermarkets and their buying systems, yes.
  • TheBigBean

Look back through my posts in the Brexit thread, and I think you'll see that even I haven't blamed shït meat on Brexit. Supermarkets and their buying systems, yes.
    You blamed a minor tomato shortage on Brexit though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    Since we’re on food & drink

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

2) I wish chinoto was popular as I bloody love it on a hot day.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

4) montefalco is underrated.
  • briantrumpet

You blamed a minor tomato shortage on Brexit though.

Yes I did. And I'd stand by that over on the appropriate thread.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

Not sure you’re in the minority on point 1. I thought it was pretty well accepted that Italy is the best place to get a coffee in the world.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2023
    Genuine question - what makes coffee italian?
    I don't think they grow much of it so I guess something to do with the roasting?
    I thought 'Italian' coffee was considered good quality, I developed a bit of a taste for it over there and tend to buy 'Italian' coffee when I'm making it at home but no real idea how it would differ from anything else.
  • TheBigBean

The food and farming thread is an inappropriate thread to discuss a food shortage related to farming?
  • rick_chasey
    monkimark said:

I don't think they grow much of it so I guess something to do with the roasting?
    I thought 'Italian' coffee was considered good quality, I developed a bit of a taste for it over there and tend to buy 'Italian' coffee when I'm making it at home but no real idea how it would differ from anything else.

Roasting, really high pressure machines and pretty strict criteria on milk-coffee ratios
  • Pross
    monkimark said:

It’s down to the roasting and brewing rather than the beans. Italy invented the espresso method and still do it better (as a generalisation- lots of countries have good places making coffee the same way these days but in Italy most places are good).

It’s actually a good example of how the quality of food and drink in a country is down to more that just the basic product (coffee beans in this case).
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
    You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Pross

webboo said:

You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    You’re probably still more relaxed though. That said I do think there is less ultra processed rubbish on the continent than the UK, I also used to find French beers gave me less bloating.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

I have got the idea that you thrive on your work. It’s the other stuff such as managing to get there at the right time that stresses you out or lightweights in the office.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

monkimark said:

It’s down to the roasting and brewing rather than the beans. Italy invented the espresso method and still do it better (as a generalisation- lots of countries have good places making coffee the same way these days but in Italy most places are good).

It’s actually a good example of how the quality of food and drink in a country is down to more that just the basic product (coffee beans in this case).

Very fond memories of finding a good coffee bar in Rome where you got the government-mandated 1€ coffee as long as you stood at the bar. Consistently fantastic coffee.
  • TheBigBean
    Looks like we're going to need a coffee thread.
  • Pross

I had one of the worst cups I’ve ever tasted earlier, would have been better off with instant.
  • briantrumpet

I'd better not start it, or @pinno will send round a hit squad.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,853

I'd better not start it, or @pinno will send round a hit squad.
    Yes, Beans and I.

Once he is back from his jolly after going to the ditch worth studying where you can see the hills that are over there.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet

I've learnt something - that this is a place, and not some sort of food. Apparently it's underrated too. But it wasn't underrated by me, as I'd never heard of it before.
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, it's a wine too. Now they tell me.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,061
    I've come to the conclusion that people like coffee the way they first taste the real thing after having been poisoned for years with nescafe. I even know people who think macdonalds do okay coffee.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,575

There’s bean a coffee thread available for years now. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    oxoman said:

Sorry to upset anyone but Italy doesn't grow its own coffee as the climates not suitable. However it is very good at roasting coffee and blending the various bean varieties to make nice coffee. Personally any coffee with milk in isn't worthy to be called coffee.

Or sugar, as far as I'm concerned.
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

Link? I'm sure most of the things I post are pretty dull to many, but I can't think of any subject less interesting than coffee chat.
  • briantrumpet
    Are you trying to tell me that Gareth & Una were telling porkies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYLjF52q_Qs
  • Pross
    I think I’ve said in the trivially intriguing thread before that I don’t understand people who claim to love coffee then chuck in all sorts of flavours and syrups. I do usually have milk to make it into a longer drink but prefer it as a simple espresso.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Link? I'm sure most of the things I post are pretty dull to many, but I can't think of any subject less interesting than coffee chat.

This one? Last post nine years ago... ran out of steam maybe. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12955930/coffee-snobs/p3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575

webboo said:

I'm not in much of a position to comment but really try not to take work on holiday.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

Oh, it's a wine too. Now they tell me.

Good stuff it is too.