Food & farming

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

It was more a hypothetical question.

Ah, I see. I thought you meant in the context of you currently being on holiday.

Personally, I would still try and eat local, regardless of where I was in the world. You may get it right or wrong, but unless it is a place you travel to regularly, you probably aren't going to get the chance to experience it again. Whereas, you can get a curry/pizza/burger etc. anytime you fancy it at home.

Why miss the opportunity to try something new?
    So I go through phases of doing that, and then I end up regretting that I skipped stuff on the menu that I do really like.. Often there’s a reason it stayed local to the town….

Have done that way too many times. The steak cooked in balsamic in Modena was a low point. Would not recommend. Meanwhile my wife was tucking into a glorious looking lasagne and enjoying the various tart faces I was pulling whenever I had a piece of that steak.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372

Ah, I see. I thought you meant in the context of you currently being on holiday.

Personally, I would still try and eat local, regardless of where I was in the world. You may get it right or wrong, but unless it is a place you travel to regularly, you probably aren't going to get the chance to experience it again. Whereas, you can get a curry/pizza/burger etc. anytime you fancy it at home.

So I go through phases of doing that, and then I end up regretting that I skipped stuff on the menu that I do really like.. Often there’s a reason it stayed local to the town….

Have done that way too many times. The steak cooked in balsamic in Modena was a low point. Would not recommend. Meanwhile my wife was tucking into a glorious looking lasagne and enjoying the various tart faces I was pulling whenever I had a piece of that steak.
    The tagliata we had in La Spezia was the most amazing steak I've ever eaten. If that was ever on a menu in a decent Italian restaurant I was in, I'd have to remind myself.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    Mind you, I have to say that the first time I had fillet steak was a pretty amazing experience too. Woody Bay Hotel, about 40 years ago.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500

Anyway.

Are curries the most reliable dish to go for when you have no idea about the local cuisine if there’s one available?

Can’t really think of a curry that isn’t tasty.

Neither can Greg Wallage or John Torode.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Dodgy Italian meat for you.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

Since we’re on food & drink

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

2) I wish chinoto was popular as I bloody love it on a hot day.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

4) montefalco is underrated.

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
    You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    I'm not in much of a position to comment but really try not to take work on holiday.
    I eventually learned this a few years ago. I decided there was nothing meaningful I could do while away from the office and that it was time for others who wanted their pay rises and promotions to step up and show what they could do.
    If it's your business it's a bit different, but still I think it's good to have boundaries with clients.
    My one Director used to call in daily when on holiday on Cuba for 3 weeks and also somewhere the other side of the globe (Japan maybe). He’d be on the phone getting passed around most of the office for an hour or more. It was like he didn’t trust anyone to be getting on with the work he’d briefed them on before going away. I assume he was taking client calls on top of that.
    That's a bit mad. Also suggests not prepping clients and staff for being away.
    Depends how reasonable your clients are and who you have to look after it.
    If clients are that demanding and don't understand the concept of a holiday, are they really worth having as clients?
    Do they understand work / life balance?
    B)
    Sure. Depends if the fee is worth it.

The pitch I won pays for the holiday 8x over.

You are just awesome.

Setting that amazingness aside, clients pay the bills so they can demand what they want, by and large. However if you can't delegate enough to go on holiday and your demanding clients can only deal with you and not onlyobe else in your organisation, the business isn't future proofed, or you haven't recruited well enough.
    Thanks.

If I’m successful enough I’ll be able to afford juniors to pass it off to.

As it is, it’s me or no one.

Gotta prove you can generate enough business for the firm to justify the cost of a junior. Not unreasonable.

As it is, I have lower targets that pay out more. As I progress, my targets will be higher but I can lean on junior support. It’s not a bad compromise.

I can full well tell the client I won’t work on holiday etc, but I don’t want to take the risk of losing business to a rival and letting them get a foot in the door. It’s super competitive out there. Someone will eat your lunch if you don’t get there first. And I’m intent on eating their lunch too.
    Yeah you are probably right.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    I think one’s experience with new food is also impacted by the quality of your own.

Some of the basic local Tuscan pastas blew me away when I was 22 because my cooking wasn’t all that.

Nowadays I’m less impressed by that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
    You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    I'm not in much of a position to comment but really try not to take work on holiday.
    I eventually learned this a few years ago. I decided there was nothing meaningful I could do while away from the office and that it was time for others who wanted their pay rises and promotions to step up and show what they could do.
    If it's your business it's a bit different, but still I think it's good to have boundaries with clients.
    My one Director used to call in daily when on holiday on Cuba for 3 weeks and also somewhere the other side of the globe (Japan maybe). He’d be on the phone getting passed around most of the office for an hour or more. It was like he didn’t trust anyone to be getting on with the work he’d briefed them on before going away. I assume he was taking client calls on top of that.
    If clients are that demanding and don't understand the concept of a holiday, are they really worth having as clients?
    B)
    One of my team is currently on holiday in the States and is still working on getting a $1m deal over the line. He feels he is best equipped to do so and will earn a minimum of $20k when it comes in.
    If you give a client something once, they will not unreasonably want the same service again. And again but with extra. You still need boundaries.
    The question in this context is whether they are paying the price to remove the boundaries. I imagine most people have a price.
    I would suggest that the cost is higher than it may at first appear. Also there should be some things which are just not for sale.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    Sure. Depends if the fee is worth it.

The pitch I won pays for the holiday 8x over.

You are just awesome.

Setting that amazingness aside, clients pay the bills so they can demand what they want, by and large. However if you can't delegate enough to go on holiday and your demanding clients can only deal with you and not onlyobe else in your organisation, the business isn't future proofed, or you haven't recruited well enough.
    Thanks.

If I’m successful enough I’ll be able to afford juniors to pass it off to.

As it is, it’s me or no one.

Gotta prove you can generate enough business for the firm to justify the cost of a junior. Not unreasonable.

As it is, I have lower targets that pay out more. As I progress, my targets will be higher but I can lean on junior support. It’s not a bad compromise.

I can full well tell the client I won’t work on holiday etc, but I don’t want to take the risk of losing business to a rival and letting them get a foot in the door. It’s super competitive out there. Someone will eat your lunch if you don’t get there first. And I’m intent on eating their lunch too.
    As a mate of mine said about his particular part of the commercial world: “It’s die or be killed out there!”

Wine may have been taken when he said that.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    One of my team is currently on holiday in the States and is still working on getting a $1m deal over the line. He feels he is best equipped to do so and will earn a minimum of $20k when it comes in.
    If you give a client something once, they will not unreasonably want the same service again. And again but with extra. You still need boundaries.
    I think he would be delighted if they thought that bloke gave me such excellent service I will go back and spend another $1m with him. That would help propel him into a higher bonus level and could be worth $50k to him.
    Depends on the relationship with clients and how you get paid. There are no bonuses for closing deals in my field. There's just not the spare cash for it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I think he would be delighted if they thought that bloke gave me such excellent service I will go back and spend another $1m with him. That would help propel him into a higher bonus level and could be worth $50k to him.
    Depends on the relationship with clients and how you get paid. There are no bonuses for closing deals in my field. There's just not the spare cash for it.
    And that explains why it's easier for you to draw the boundaries. Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to properly clock off, but sometimes it doesn't happen.
  • TheBigBean

Are you making the mistake of eating local specialities not consumed by the locals? Eg pubs in central London all selling fish and chips.
  • First.Aspect

I think one’s experience with new food is also impacted by the quality of your own.

Some of the basic local Tuscan pastas blew me away when I was 22 because my cooking wasn’t all that.

I find it's based on what you can normally afford. And you spend twice as much on holiday and think wow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

This is always my approach.
    Why go somewhere different to experience the same.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    And that explains why it's easier for you to draw the boundaries. Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to properly clock off, but sometimes it doesn't happen.
    Well a lot of our clients are from that world and consequently are slightly surprised that we are not available for late at weekends.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,655
    pblakeney said:

Except when the speciality at the new/local thing where you're visiting is, for example, abalone porridge for breakfast, or marinated sea slug for dinner.... then I am inclined to stick to coffee and croissants for brekky and maybe a fairly average pizza instead..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Except when the speciality at the new/local thing where you're visiting is, for example, abalone porridge for breakfast, or marinated sea slug for dinner.... then I am inclined to stick to coffee and croissants for brekky and maybe a fairly average pizza instead..
    Ah but local cuisine is factored into the choice of where to go in the first place.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507

I'd guess there's also a novelty factor.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    The question in this context is whether they are paying the price to remove the boundaries. I imagine most people have a price.
    I would suggest that the cost is higher than it may at first appear. Also there should be some things which are just not for sale.
    I don't regret the periods in my life when I actually worked hard. Perhaps I'm lucky that it is not constant.
  • Pross

Nothing wrong with any of this local produce that I selflessly tested. The eggs even had orange yolks that we apparently don’t have in the UK (my only fault was they weren’t runny on 3 of my 4 eggs)
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I don't regret the periods in my life when I actually worked hard. Perhaps I'm lucky that it is not constant.
    Working hard is fine. Having a holiday is not slacking. If you are on call then it's not really a holiday.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I resent the times I’ve done silly hours. Looking back it was all firefighting and employers or clients relying on my loyalty. I gained very little from it. Perhaps if I gained something I’d think differently. Now I have proper boundaries. My family deserve my attention and time and I love the time I spend with them, and there’s no way of getting that diminishing time back. I suspect I’m 30-40% worse off financially (salary) with some of the choices I’ve now made for personal ‘life’ enjoyment.
  • Pross
    wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I resent the times I’ve done silly hours. Looking back it was all firefighting and employers or clients relying on my loyalty. I gained very little from it. Perhaps if I gained something I’d think differently. Now I have proper boundaries. My family deserve my attention and time and I love the time I spend with them, and there’s no way of getting that diminishing time back. I suspect I’m 30-40% worse off financially (salary) with some of the choices I’ve now made for personal ‘life’ enjoyment.
    Snap
  • pblakeney
    …and ditto.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I think that is the key bit especially when combined with the length of time you have to work hard. I have no interest in doing it long term like many lawyers do.
  • First.Aspect

wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I think that is the key bit especially when combined with the length of time you have to work hard. I have no interest in doing it long term like many lawyers do.
    Isn't the problem for a lot of them that they work so hard for so long that their work defines them and they don't really have anything else to do?

I don't sense an awful lot of personal happiness in the upper echelons of my firm, just an awful lot of maneuvering to preserve status...
  • I worked in the charity sector for years, so perhaps nothing like as cutthroat as finance or other sectors. Even so, it was apparent that anyone in positions of seniority spent most of their time with political maneuvering and status preservation, as highlighted above.

I quickly decided I had no interest in any of that. I know I am never going to earn huge money but I am comfortable and don't want for anything. I get to live the life I want with the people I love and we enjoy it. Isn't that the whole point, we get a brief window into this world, why waste it chasing something that can never ultimately be fulfilled? I understand people that chase money and status, it's just not for me.

I think people with a similar approach to mine do seem to live far less stressful, more fun and enjoyable lives, but that is just personal opinion (and apologies for my cod philosophical ramblings above!).
  • First.Aspect
    You are right, of course. And I fall in the middle. Quite well paid and quite stressed. But not rich. It is a struggle figuring out how close to the precipice to go to get the best view, as it were.
  • wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I had a 4 year period where I went well "above and beyond" (*) which I didn't particularly enjoy but they did get me to my current position, which is ideal in terms of balance. Whilst I don't regret that period, I'm bl**dy glad it's over now.

(*) The lowest point in this period was one evening a couple of days before we were due to go on holiday. I was getting some stuff out of the loft whilst on the phone trying to get key projects covered for whilst I was away. I somehow fell down the loft ladder, pulling a box of stuff down on top of me. My state of mind whilst falling and then whilst trying to stem the flow of blood (old coffee grinder landed on my head) was "How am I going to get things sorted at work?" rather than "Will I still be OK to perform 'Dad Duties' on hols?" It was during quiet reflection with Mrs W&G during that holiday that we decided enough was enough and I needed a new job.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341
    You never get a second chance to see your kids grow up, or to go to sports day / school play etc.
    It really isn't worth missing those things as all too soon they are young adults and are off.
    Likewise, no point in working to gain loads of money if you have no time for other interests or to enjoy it, or it puts your health at risk.
    Finding the balance is key.