Food & farming

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    rjsterry said:

webboo said:

Since we’re on food & drink

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

2) I wish chinoto was popular as I bloody love it on a hot day.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

4) montefalco is underrated.

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
    You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    I'm not in much of a position to comment but really try not to take work on holiday.
    I eventually learned this a few years ago. I decided there was nothing meaningful I could do while away from the office and that it was time for others who wanted their pay rises and promotions to step up and show what they could do.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,907
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

1) it blows my mind I’m in the minority that Italian coffee is the apex of coffee, and that the antipodean style of sour acrid under roasted coffee with too much milk is significantly more popular.

3) I’ve not needed to take any medication for indigestion here despite having wine & beer every day which is normally a massive trigger. I’m obviously not eating the right stuff at home.

Your indigestion may be reduced as you are on holiday at not having your stressful experiences with the railways.
    You’d be right if I wasn’t doing work every night and taking calls throughout the day anyway 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    I'm not in much of a position to comment but really try not to take work on holiday.
    I eventually learned this a few years ago. I decided there was nothing meaningful I could do while away from the office and that it was time for others who wanted their pay rises and promotions to step up and show what they could do.

Doesn't 'WFH' stand for 'work from holiday' then?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576

pblakeney said:

Looks like we're going to need a coffee thread.

There’s bean a coffee thread available for years now. 😉
    Link? I'm sure most of the things I post are pretty dull to many, but I can't think of any subject less interesting than coffee chat.

This one? Last post nine years ago... ran out of steam maybe. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12955930/coffee-snobs/p3
    Nah. There’s a better and longer one. I can’t be arsed finding the link if the person asking for the link will be too bored to read it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

If it's your business it's a bit different, but still I think it's good to have boundaries with clients.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Looks like we're going to need a coffee thread.

There’s bean a coffee thread available for years now. 😉
    Link? I'm sure most of the things I post are pretty dull to many, but I can't think of any subject less interesting than coffee chat.

This one? Last post nine years ago... ran out of steam maybe. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12955930/coffee-snobs/p3
    Nah. There’s a better and longer one. I can’t be arsed finding the link if the person asking for the link will be too bored to read it.
    I wasn't asking for me.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576
    Searching for stuff isn’t difficult in these computerised days.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12751344/silly-commuter-coffee
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

If it's your business it's a bit different, but still I think it's good to have boundaries with clients.
    My one Director used to call in daily when on holiday on Cuba for 3 weeks and also somewhere the other side of the globe (Japan maybe). He’d be on the phone getting passed around most of the office for an hour or more. It was like he didn’t trust anyone to be getting on with the work he’d briefed them on before going away. I assume he was taking client calls on top of that.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

My one Director used to call in daily when on holiday on Cuba for 3 weeks and also somewhere the other side of the globe (Japan maybe). He’d be on the phone getting passed around most of the office for an hour or more. It was like he didn’t trust anyone to be getting on with the work he’d briefed them on before going away. I assume he was taking client calls on top of that.
    That's a bit mad. Also suggests not prepping clients and staff for being away.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

Depends how reasonable your clients are and who you have to look after it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,214

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

If clients are that demanding and don't understand the concept of a holiday, are they really worth having as clients?
    Do they understand work / life balance?
    B)
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

If clients are that demanding and don't understand the concept of a holiday, are they really worth having as clients?
    B)
    Sure. Depends if the fee is worth it.

The pitch I won pays for the holiday 8x over.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,061

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)

You are just awesome.

Setting that amazingness aside, clients pay the bills so they can demand what they want, by and large. However if you can't delegate enough to go on holiday and your demanding clients can only deal with you and not onlyobe else in your organisation, the business isn't future proofed, or you haven't recruited well enough.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As a community mental health nurse with a case load of 30 to 40 clients, you have no option other than to hand their care over to colleagues when you go on leave. It’s about preparation and briefing people ( clients and colleagues) what problems or issues that might occur and who to contact.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

Unreasonable clients tend to be unreasonable across the board: v. bad sign.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)

You are just awesome.

Setting that amazingness aside, clients pay the bills so they can demand what they want, by and large. However if you can't delegate enough to go on holiday and your demanding clients can only deal with you and not onlyobe else in your organisation, the business isn't future proofed, or you haven't recruited well enough.
    Thanks.

If I’m successful enough I’ll be able to afford juniors to pass it off to.

As it is, it’s me or no one.

Gotta prove you can generate enough business for the firm to justify the cost of a junior. Not unreasonable.

As it is, I have lower targets that pay out more. As I progress, my targets will be higher but I can lean on junior support. It’s not a bad compromise.

I can full well tell the client I won’t work on holiday etc, but I don’t want to take the risk of losing business to a rival and letting them get a foot in the door. It’s super competitive out there. Someone will eat your lunch if you don’t get there first. And I’m intent on eating their lunch too.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    Anyway.

Are curries the most reliable dish to go for when you have no idea about the local cuisine if there’s one available?

Can’t really think of a curry that isn’t tasty.
  • TheBigBean

Anyway.

Are curries the most reliable dish to go for when you have no idea about the local cuisine if there’s one available?

I think more context is needed. Is this in Italy?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Anyway.

Isn’t it part of the fun of being abroad trying stuff you’ve no idea about. Sometimes you win but sometimes you get a story to tell for years.
  • If you don't know anything about the local cuisine, ask the locals what or where you should eat.

As a general rule of thumb, any restaurant that is busy and mainly occupied by locals and not tourists would usually be a safe bet.
  • TheBigBean
    It was a big breakthrough for me when I learnt the Chinese symbol for noodles. I was still ordering at random, but at least it was more likely to be filling.
  • rick_chasey

If you don't know anything about the local cuisine, ask the locals what or where you should eat.

As a general rule of thumb, any restaurant that is busy and mainly occupied by locals and not tourists would usually be a safe bet.

It was more a hypothetical question.

You end up in, I dunno, an Ethiopian or a kazak restaurant.

You have no idea what you’re doing, the staff are surly.

Curry is the likeliest to be tasty if all the i options I recon, if there is one.
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

Anyway.

Isn’t it part of the fun of being abroad trying stuff you’ve no idea about. Sometimes you win but sometimes you get a story to tell for years.
    Curries are different all over the world! Obviously.
  • rick_chasey

It was a big breakthrough for me when I learnt the Chinese symbol for noodles. I was still ordering at random, but at least it was more likely to be filling.

It was a game changer when I learned about xian style food. First time I liked Chinese.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    One of my team is currently on holiday in the States and is still working on getting a $1m deal over the line. He feels he is best equipped to do so and will earn a minimum of $20k when it comes in.
  • It was more a hypothetical question.

Ah, I see. I thought you meant in the context of you currently being on holiday.

Personally, I would still try and eat local, regardless of where I was in the world. You may get it right or wrong, but unless it is a place you travel to regularly, you probably aren't going to get the chance to experience it again. Whereas, you can get a curry/pizza/burger etc. anytime you fancy it at home.

Why miss the opportunity to try something new?
  • TheBigBean

If you don't know anything about the local cuisine, ask the locals what or where you should eat.

It was more a hypothetical question.

You end up in, I dunno, an Ethiopian or a kazak restaurant.

You have no idea what you’re doing, the staff are surly.

Curry is the likeliest to be tasty if all the i options I recon, if there is one.
    I'm not sure you would see the name curry on the menu though.

In an Ethiopian I'd go for a Doro Wot which is effectively a spicy curry, so perhaps that supports your view, but in a Kazakh I'd go for Lagman which is a noodles based dish. (The reality though is plov may be the only thing on the menu).

• TheBigBean
    That's got me salivating.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    One of my team is currently on holiday in the States and is still working on getting a $1m deal over the line. He feels he is best equipped to do so and will earn a minimum of $20k when it comes in.
    If you give a client something once, they will not unreasonably want the same service again. And again but with extra. You still need boundaries.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    If you give a client something once, they will not unreasonably want the same service again. And again but with extra. You still need boundaries.
    The question in this context is whether they are paying the price to remove the boundaries. I imagine most people have a price.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

B)
    I think he would be delighted if they thought that bloke gave me such excellent service I will go back and spend another $1m with him. That would help propel him into a higher bonus level and could be worth $50k to him.