• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    RIP Gino. 😢
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Ah fuck. Awful.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Sounds like they might be doing the last 30km neutralised today.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Sounds like they might be doing the last 30km neutralised today.

yeah:

Message from the race organization:

The peloton will ride the last 30 km of the stage; the race will be neutralized today, and all the riders will form a procession in homage to Gino Mäder to the arrival town of Oberwil-Lieli.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    So so sad. RIP rider
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    edited June 2023
    Bahrain have withdrawn from the race, but the tour will continue with a small modification:

The 7th Stage will start on Saturday as planned in Tübach and be held as a race. However, the timing for the overall ranking is already 18.8 kilometers before the finish (on top of the final climb). The stage victory will be decided at the finish in Weinfelden. The time trial on Sunday will also be held in race mode. Accordingly, there will be an overall winner of the Tour de Suisse 2023,

In addition to the teams and drivers, the family of Gino Mäder also advocates the continuation of the Tour de Suisse. The decision was made in consultation with the family. "As management, we stand united behind this decision and try to carry out the last two stages within an appropriate framework," said Tour de Suisse director Olivier Senn.

Meanwhile, Mäder's team announced on Friday afternoon that it would withdraw from the Tour de Suisse, the preparatory race for the Tour de France. "We are all shaken. No one is able to get on the bike," the sports director Enrico Poitschke told Bild.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Tudor Pro have also withdrawn
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Intermarche-Circus-Wanty withdrawn too
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

Tudor Pro have also withdrawn

It was rumoured that Gino Mäder, at Cancellara's persuasion, would be joining Tudor next season although it may have appeared to be a step down.

Swiss riders Küng, Hirschi and Schär are also not starting today, as sign of respect.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Odd stage .... basically the finale of a minor classic
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Fitting that the world champ won it I think
  • mididoctors

Fitting that the world champ won it I think
    Any of those guys would have been ok but it's nice to see the jersey like that given the circumstances.

Makes a big difference have the GC drop at 25k to go as bulk of the peloton is there carrying the sprinters to chase back on after a hill or two

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited June 2023
    Do we think Remco can overcome the 48s deficit?

(In the TT)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    It's doable if he's flying, and it doesn't look like an easy course to pace, so pretty much anything could happen
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stats say he can, but Skelmose probably hasn't been at full effort as often as Evenepoel.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Ayuso takes the TT well, Skelmose only one second loss to Remco.

GC 1. Skelmose 2. Ayuso 3. Evanapoel
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    That was very tight and very tense. Blinding ride from Ayuso. UAE really know how to bang out a TT.

But bloody hell, Skjelmose picked up some time from after T1
  • mididoctors
    Saved it all for the end ...it worked .
  • mididoctors
    Well tradgic and morbid end to a pretty decent race . Remco under performed? The new guys saw a opportunity.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I know I’ve been an Ayuso booster, but Pog v Ayo is going to become a syndicated series
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Well tradgic and morbid end to a pretty decent race . Remco under performed? The new guys saw a opportunity.

Remco's presumably still recovering from covid. I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions from it.
  • mididoctors

Remco's presumably still recovering from covid. I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions from it.
    Possibly covids the reason why he underperformed though I would say remco made errors on the first mtf