Tour de Suisse 2023, 11th-18th June ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    And Remco not looking impressive.
  • kingstongraham
    Gall however very impressive, remco just churning away up the climb leading the yellow jersey group.
  • kingstongraham
    Turns out Evenepoel judged the effort best of the rest.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Good stage .... Gall was brave . Remco mugging everyone for the bonus was predictable... Suited him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Should of done the same tactics the stage before ...but this is more interesting he lost time ... He just has to hold everyone close for the tt
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    Either Skelmose is an extremely cool customer, playing the long game or he simply played the wrong game.
    Never did a tap to keep the jersey until 500 metres to go.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Either Skelmose is an extremely cool customer, playing the long game or he simply played the wrong game.

Skjelmose says he was happy to lose it as the team doesn't have to control tomorrow now. Was quite pleased it was to Gall as he should be able to take him in the TT.

Gives a decent intelligent interview as it goes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702

Skjelmose says he was happy to lose it as the team doesn't have to control tomorrow now. Was quite pleased it was to Gall as he should be able to take him in the TT.

Gives a decent intelligent interview as it goes

I guess it’s safe to say he’s playing the cool headed long game.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

You can say that with hindsight (and others have too) but he did look occasionally uncomfortable on the last climb. He might have had a dilemma if Bardet and Keldermann had managed to sustain and extend their 2 or 3 attacks.
    That there were so many attacks (Bilbao and Lazcano also tried, as did even Evenepoel about 6 km out, albeit where the climb briefly went a bit less steep), suggests the group weren't pushing it, as does the fact that Gall arrived at the finish with about the same time difference as he had 16-18 kms out.
    I think Evenepoel would struggle with a stronger group on a continuously steep mountain.
  • jimmyjams

Good stage .... Gall was brave .

Gall said afterwards he would have preferred it if a couple of others had joined him when he went forward, but having made the effort to get clear, he wasn't going stop because he was alone, so it became a case of 'All's well that ends well'.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,448
    jimmyjams said:

You can say that with hindsight (and others have too) but he did look occasionally uncomfortable on the last climb. He might have had a dilemma if Bardet and Keldermann had managed to sustain and extend their 2 or 3 attacks.
    That there were so many attacks (Bilbao and Lazcano also tried, as did even Evenepoel about 6 km out, albeit where the climb briefly went a bit less steep), suggests the group weren't pushing it, as does the fact that Gall arrived at the finish with about the same time difference as he had 16-18 kms out.
    I think Evenepoel would struggle with a stronger group on a continuously steep mountain.
    I think he's well below his best and is riding very intelligently. Whether it's enough to win the race is open to question, but he has kept himself in contention in two mountain stages where, from what we've seen, he could have blown up completely and lost much more time.
  • kingstongraham
    jimmyjams said:

I also said this:

I agree that if it had been someone on another level than Bardet attacking, they'd all have been in trouble.
  • jimmyjams
    andyp said:

jimmyjams said:

I think he's well below his best and is riding very intelligently. Whether it's enough to win the race is open to question, but he has kept himself in contention in two mountain stages where, from what we've seen, he could have blown up completely and lost much more time.
    I too think he could probably still win overall.
    Tomorrow is the Albula near the end of the stage, and it will depend on how he manages that. I've ridden it in a Gran Fondo and a third the way through you think it's fine, but then it kicks in.
  • jimmyjams

I noticed Skjelmose didn't do much in the group on the last climb, in fact a couple of times it appeared that one or the other rider 'glared' at him for his non-participation (couldn't tell if they actually said something).
    He did go briefly to the front, just before Bilbao attacked (perhaps because Skjelmose slowed the group a little), and part of the reason why the group didn't make much time on Gall can probably be put down to his non-participation.

I watched the video posted by No_Ta_Doctor, but sportsmen are often not entirely truthful, no one wants to run themselves or their chances down. I suspect today he was at his limit – he did say yesterday he was unsure of his climbing ability.
    In one thing he is correct, Gall is normally rubbish at TTs.
  • jimmyjams

jimmyjams said:

I also said this:

I agree that if it had been someone on another level than Bardet attacking, they'd all have been in trouble.
    You might have a lower opinion of Bardet than me, and I know he has failed my liking for him often, but I thought it was promising to see him so active today and I hope it promises well for the Tour.
    The performances of Keldermann and Schachmann also gave hope (if they are planned for the Tour).
  • kingstongraham
    I love Bardet.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    It's the Goldfinger stage today, over the Furkapass and Albulapass where scenes from the film were shot.

He famous image of Connery with his DB5 is taken on the Furkapass

• red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    Early start today. Riders already up an running
  • red.rider
    Big break seems to be established without my PTP pick.
    Antonio Tiberi is in there with Fabio Fel(l)ine. This could get ugly
  • red.rider
    Felline was shot out of the back of the breakaway, while Tiberi lives on.

Powless did actually make it in to the break, but wasn’t recognised initially on pcs’ live stats.
  • kingstongraham
    Wout's in the break.
  • jimmyjams
    I heard the break had 10, then 19, but I've only seen 18 names – including Higuita and Eenkhoorn (who shared the points over the Furka and Oberalp passes) together with Powless, Rui Costa, Van Aert, Izaguirre (the best-placed), Küng, Simmons and Hirschi. They are 3-20 ahead and close to the bottom of the Albula.

DNS were Vine (apparently he crashed towards the end of yesterday's stage), and one or two others, and 4 have climbed off so far today, George Bennett being one.
  • kingstongraham
    Wout lasted halfway up the climb.
  • kingstongraham
    Race is on for the yellow jersey now. Evenepoel not going with Gall's attack.
  • kingstongraham
    Ayuso absolutely flying.
  • mididoctors
    Good stage ...remco could still win .... Ayuso was impressive . Somehow skelly jelly moose came 2nd
  • mididoctors

Ayuso absolutely flying.

Bit scary on the descent at times tbh
  • kingstongraham
    This has been a good race. Ayuso wins and gets within about 20 seconds of the overall.
  • mididoctors
    It's a really hard climb ...covered with traffic when I did it .... Not a fave
  • mididoctors
    Sheffield crashed on the descent off camera . Hospital