Tour de Suisse 2023, 11th-18th June ***SPOILERS***

red.rider
red.rider Posts: 1,188
The Tour de Suisse gets underway today with a 12.7km flat ITT around the Sihlsee, starting and finishing in the pilgrimage destination of Einsiedeln.

Start time is 14:25 local time (13:25 BST). The ITT protagonists all start within 5 minutes of each other: Bissegger (16:50 local time), Kung (16:51), Van Aert (16:53), and Remco (16:55).

In terms of GC, there's not much going on. Remco is the standout, and the main challenge will come from Bilbao, Mäder, Higuita, Powless. However, the parcours is not too demanding (only 1 big mountain stage) and is bookended by ITTs, so will the protected leaders of Ineos and Jumbo, Pidcock and Van Aert respectively, be able to hang in there to challenge for the overall?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Erm, no; Remco for the win, then endless “This Tour de France is now wide open”, when it’s bolted on for Vingegaard.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Is that Ellen van Dijk doing the expert commentary alongside Hatch?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Good Kung wins for a change .....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Sheffield came from nowhere
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Remco second, Wout third.
    First time Remco has beaten Wout in a TT apparently
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99
    andyp said:

Is that Ellen van Dijk doing the expert commentary alongside Hatch?

No, it was Jip van den Bos
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2023
    Massive crash involving pretty much all the peloton ...not kidding
  • mididoctors
    Everyone bar 2 riders in the break
  • mididoctors
    We didn't see how it happened
  • mididoctors
    Most ok
  • mididoctors
    Race reforming in drabs
  • mididoctors
    WvA and remco ok
  • mididoctors
    Peloton waiting up
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo trying to put melier out the back
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Biniam Girmay takes it from Van Aert!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Girmay ..... hid the whole stage except last 400 m

Superb
  • mididoctors
    Lol Eritrean fans
  • mididoctors
    WvA in the wind too early ...forced to go really
  • mididoctors
    Demare was coming at first but just stalled
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Pretty unusual to see a pitch invasion from fans celebrating a cycling win... Quite fun to watch.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Did WVA go too early, or was trying to turn it into a long drag his best bet? That sprint seemed to last for ages.
  • mididoctors

Did WVA go too early, or was trying to turn it into a long drag his best bet? That sprint seemed to last for ages.

Found himself in the wind as all the lead outs disintegrated

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Erse. I considered BG for the ptp pick but went breakaway instead. Oh well.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Tour. That first week looks like he could have a few opportunities
  • mididoctors

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Tour. That first week looks like he could have a few opportunities

He is so young

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    They have not long gone past Gruyere (i.e. in the valley below it, it is a hilltop village), and are now passing the Lac de Vernex, having about 50 km to go as they approach the bottom of the Col des Mosses. Average speed over 44 km/h (they have had a following wind).
    Four riders are in a break, namely Lilian Calmejane (Intermarche–Circus-Wanty), Nickolas Zukowsky (Q36.5), Alexander Kamp (Tudor) and Paul Orselin (Totel Energies). Zukowsky was in the 2-man break with Schar yesterday and is presently in the KOM jersey, Kamp is the current Danish national champion. They've had a fairly constant lead of about 2-40 for the last 45 mins plus.
    The skies ahead look pretty dark, and the forecast is for rain to start by the time they reach the finish, if not before.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It’s hammering it down now and the break at 1:20 with 42K to go.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Cameras spent a very long time on the two whistling & flagging police riders waving at some wet tram tracks there. I guess a crash on them so close to the UCI headqueárters would be quite embarrassing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    They’ve just come down a very wet descent and the peleton is in a single line about a mile long.
  • mididoctors
    Final climb pretty selective early ...WvA sits up ..higuita dropped