'Ouses, Greenbelt and stuff

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,821
    To be fair it is down to the marketing of the scheme when it was announced. The name refers to speed and the talk was always about how much time it would shave a few minutes off a trip from Manchester to London. They should have made much more of how it was going to benefit existing routes and the number of extra trains it would allow to run.

Maybe they got caught up in the car world where speed is everything no matter how practical.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,697

pblakeney said:

I still think capacity and availability trump speed all day, every day.
    Speed was a vanity project at other's expense.

It makes a bit more sense in France, as the country is so much bigger, but then they did a whole network, rather than one spine route. I wonder what the total cost of that would equate to now.

The first TGV Sud-Est cost just $4 million per km, the lowest figure worldwide (Table 1). More recent projects cost about $10 million per km and the newest TGV Méditerranée with seven long viaducts (17.155 km) and one long tunnel (12.768 km) still cost only $15 million per km.
    Not a regular on French trains, but I found the frequency of them to be much worse than the UK.

Very much depends on where you want to go. Generally heading to and from Paris is good, I think, other routes much more mixed. But the network is extensive.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,091
    BB is right, I remember reading something, can't remember where, about the French model being very different to the UK model with regard to frequency.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,028

pblakeney said:

It makes a bit more sense in France, as the country is so much bigger, but then they did a whole network, rather than one spine route. I wonder what the total cost of that would equate to now.

The first TGV Sud-Est cost just $4 million per km, the lowest figure worldwide (Table 1). More recent projects cost about $10 million per km and the newest TGV Méditerranée with seven long viaducts (17.155 km) and one long tunnel (12.768 km) still cost only $15 million per km.
    Not a regular on French trains, but I found the frequency of them to be much worse than the UK.

Very much depends on where you want to go. Generally heading to and from Paris is good, I think, other routes much more mixed. But the network is extensive.

As I said upthread, compare Paris to Rouen (roughly one an hour?) with any route out of London. For example, there are probably six trains an hour to Brighton and at least two per hour to York, Sheffield, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and Bristol.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,477
    On balance I'd prefer less frequent but faster. Obviously not everyone would agree.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    It is largely dependent on existing infrastructure.

Most UK stations are just not long enough to take the volume needed in less frequent, faster trains.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

As I said upthread, compare Paris to Rouen (roughly one an hour?) with any route out of London. For example, there are probably six trains an hour to Brighton and at least two per hour to York, Sheffield, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and Bristol.

Yes, the downside to the TGV network (which isn't suited to trains running the same routes at 15-minute intervals) is that the general network can be rather rickety and spasmodic, depending on where you want to go. There was a lot to be said for the old 125's running on the general BR network.
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

On balance I'd prefer less frequent but faster. Obviously not everyone would agree.

I guess it depends on how they fall compared to when you need to arrive at / leave the office.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,339

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

When HS2 was announced, I remember people in Manchester saying that they didn't need to save 45 minutes getting to London, they needed trains that could get them from the surrounding towns to the centre and back again reliably. It's the same right the way across the north, before you even start on getting from one city to the next (relatively close) city. Everyone drives for those sort of journeys, which then means the road network struggles.

The Northern Powerhouse was actually a very good idea, but obviously died a death with Osborne and Cameron (and their rate of progress was similar to "levelling up").

FWIW I think if you're going to expand any regional city in a big way Cambridge is perfect for it; you've got a lot of fen land that could be built on, good transport links all the way across the country, reasonably close decent size airport in Stansted, thriving local economy. But 250,000 houses sounds bonkers; it should be part of the solution, not the entire solution!

I would guess partly that's because HS2 was oversold on speed and undersold on capacity. I think the reality is that there probably is (or was) the need for the extra rail line AND better connections within the region.

I'm not sure what regional city I'd pick!

How can something called High Speed 2 be "oversold on speed"?

If they wanted to increase capacity they could have saved a fortune by not speccing it so trains could run so fast.
    The new line is a high speed line meaning that everyone else doesn't have to share a line with the high speed services. A moment's thought will tell you why running trains at different speeds on the same track is complicated to say the least.
    My bad, I thought they were building the new line to a higher spec so that the trains could run faster.
    A higher spec than the existing line, yes. There is more than one reason for building the thing.

It feels like a lot of people just look at the big number - which is big, but spread over decades - and then decide that it must be bad/too much/not worth it purely because it's a number too big to relate to. This seems to apply to pretty much all capital expenditure/infrastructure projects. There's often a comparison with how many nurses that could pay - as if nurses can work in an open field with no equipment.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

When HS2 was announced, I remember people in Manchester saying that they didn't need to save 45 minutes getting to London, they needed trains that could get them from the surrounding towns to the centre and back again reliably. It's the same right the way across the north, before you even start on getting from one city to the next (relatively close) city. Everyone drives for those sort of journeys, which then means the road network struggles.

The Northern Powerhouse was actually a very good idea, but obviously died a death with Osborne and Cameron (and their rate of progress was similar to "levelling up").

FWIW I think if you're going to expand any regional city in a big way Cambridge is perfect for it; you've got a lot of fen land that could be built on, good transport links all the way across the country, reasonably close decent size airport in Stansted, thriving local economy. But 250,000 houses sounds bonkers; it should be part of the solution, not the entire solution!

I would guess partly that's because HS2 was oversold on speed and undersold on capacity. I think the reality is that there probably is (or was) the need for the extra rail line AND better connections within the region.

I'm not sure what regional city I'd pick!

How can something called High Speed 2 be "oversold on speed"?

If they wanted to increase capacity they could have saved a fortune by not speccing it so trains could run so fast.
    The new line is a high speed line meaning that everyone else doesn't have to share a line with the high speed services. A moment's thought will tell you why running trains at different speeds on the same track is complicated to say the least.
    My bad, I thought they were building the new line to a higher spec so that the trains could run faster.
    A higher spec than the existing line, yes. There is more than one reason for building the thing.

It feels like a lot of people just look at the big number - which is big, but spread over decades - and then decide that it must be bad/too much/not worth it purely because it's a number too big to relate to. This seems to apply to pretty much all capital expenditure/infrastructure projects. There's often a comparison with how many nurses that could pay - as if nurses can work in an open field with no equipment.

Don't go giving Barclay ideas.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2023

pblakeney said:

Yes, the downside to the TGV network (which isn't suited to trains running the same routes at 15-minute intervals) is that the general network can be rather rickety and spasmodic, depending on where you want to go. There was a lot to be said for the old 125's running on the general BR network.
    It feels like I need to set up a Hornby train set to demonstrate the problems of running high speed intercity, stopping services and goods on the same lines might be tricky.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

It feels like I need to set up a Hornby train set to demonstrate the problems of running high speed intercity, stopping services and goods on the same lines might be tricky.

It's tricky, and far from ideal, but is done.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

But we can see why separate high speed passenger lines are a solution.

There's something very British about complaining that we don't have a fast intercity rail service like France or Japan, and when we finally try and build one everyone moans that it's too expensive and why do we want to travel quickly anyway?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    You lot are quick to chastise people for flying, but people do that because it's a lot faster and convenient than taking the train.

So don't then go all nimby and demand that fast rail travel is not the answer.

It almost certainly is part of the answer.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,335
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

There's something very British about complaining that we don't have a fast intercity rail service like France or Japan, and when we finally try and build one everyone moans that it's too expensive and why do we want to travel quickly anyway?
    The biggest objection is that there is a demand for services currently with zero service, never mind a slow one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Worth reminding people the elizabeth line is now the busiest railway in Great Britian.

20 million journeys a month!
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Indeed so. Am looking forward to doing 600km in 2.5hours the week after next, all for £25.
  • TheBigBean

You lot are quick to chastise people for flying, but people do that because it's a lot faster and convenient than taking the train.

Who flies in the UK as a preference to the train?
  • rick_chasey

London <> Edinburgh, for sure.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

The biggest objection is that there is a demand for services currently with zero service, never mind a slow one.
    It's not an either/or choice. Both are needed. If you repeatedly put off replacing outdated infrastructure then eventually everything needs doing at once.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited July 2023

Have family near St Andrews so yes. Flying is usually quicker and similar price. London to Penzance is glorious by train, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

really? surely there is no time savings unless you are based at the airports
  • surrey_commuter

Worth reminding people the elizabeth line is now the busiest railway in Great Britian.

that always strikes me as a dodgy stat - does the rest of the Tube not count as "railway lines"?
  • rick_chasey

that always strikes me as a dodgy stat - does the rest of the Tube not count as "railway lines"?
    Roughly 110m a month on the tube, all the lines combined (depending on time of year), so that 20m extra on the elizabeth line is material.

• briantrumpet

Quite a few from Exeter... it's far cheaper and far quicker for going to the north of England or Scotland, even at Logan Air prices.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,427

Football teams usually :)
  • Pross

I looked into this when I went from South Wales to Edinburgh last year. Even driving to Bristol and allowing for the ridiculous recommended security / check in times and then the transfer from Edinburgh airport to the city it was far quicker (over 6 hours by train) and also considerably cheaper. The fact it is so much cheaper is ridiculous.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Roughly 110m a month on the tube, all the lines combined (depending on time of year), so that 20m extra on the elizabeth line is material.

Is it extra, or just diversion of existing passengers - likely a mix.
  • TheBigBean
    edited July 2023

Prefer the train on that route. Any further and I would fly, but that means the vast majority of journeys are covered by trains.
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

I looked into this when I went from South Wales to Edinburgh last year. Even driving to Bristol and allowing for the ridiculous recommended security / check in times and then the transfer from Edinburgh airport to the city it was far quicker (over 6 hours by train) and also considerably cheaper. The fact it is so much cheaper is ridiculous.
    I was assuming Rick was starting from London. City centre to city centre must take longer on the plane