The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2023
    Yes he makes a good point that all the car companies outsourced each individual bit of software requirements to different suppliers who own the software IP (so they could play them off each other to drive down the prices), so for car companies to suddenly get up to speed with the software side of electric cars, which is the big challenge beyond the engine, is literally something they’ve never done before.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I saw this article and thought of this thread and the 'what about the countryside?' responses. I'm not totally convinced that demand responsive transport works that well to be honest, we had something similar in my area but it has been scrapped due to lack of use so I think it has to be accepted it will be loss making, certainly in the early years. The technology may help reduce empty / low use services but if you are using it you don't want to be hanging around for ages.

https://cities-today.com/industry/adapting-mobility-hubs-to-rural-communities-with-transport-tech/?li_fat_id=69ae2d30-9e08-414d-94ba-6e3dd0531991
  • Pross
    Good news that the TATA battery plant is going to be built in Somerset.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    Good to have a local saurce, great when it's in plaice.
  • Pross
    Interesting idea and one that might be more widely supported given the general dislike of SUVs by those that on't drive them https://www.thelocal.fr/20230519/french-city-to-bring-in-parking-charges-based-on-car-weight
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Won't help EVs as they weight 2 tons due to batteries.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    A welcome boost to Porsche 911 and Ferrari drivers?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    You'd be wangered if you had an EV Hummer they're four Tonne!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

There's a pretty good argument that any road charging model should account for this, given the additional surface wear that it creates.
  • Pross

There's a pretty good argument that any road charging model should account for this, given the additional surface wear that it creates.
    It really doesn't as I tried to explain before.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023

You'd be wangered if you had an EV Hummer they're four Tonne!

Time for a Caterham 620R I think :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Do I have to agree, now that you've explained it?
  • First.Aspect
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10098-022-02433-8

I have of course, read every word of this. Therefore, I am entitled to say something like, 'interesting' or 'any thoughts?'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

I have of course, read every word of this. Therefore, I am entitled to say something like, 'interesting' or 'any thoughts?'

This is overwhelmingly caused by large vehicles – buses, heavy goods vehicles. Smaller vehicles make a negligible contribution

As Pross was saying.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Well you could become John80 and assume you know more about how to do a job than the people actually doing it I suppose. The design standards literally ignore cars and light commercial vehicles in designing road pavements (that’s the structure of the road and not the bit alongside that people walk on) despite there being vastly more of them as the axle loading and subsequent wear factor is statistically negligible.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Well you could become John80 and assume you know more about how to do a job than the people actually doing it I suppose. The design standards literally ignore cars and light commercial vehicles in designing road pavements (that’s the structure of the road and not the bit alongside that people walk on) despite there being vastly more of them as the axle loading and subsequent wear factor is statistically negligible.
    I literally have no recollection of discussing this topic previously.
  • First.Aspect

This is overwhelmingly caused by large vehicles – buses, heavy goods vehicles. Smaller vehicles make a negligible contribution

As Pross was saying.
    I literally didn't read it. I thought those were the forum rules.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Not directly with you but if you go back a couple of pages I tried to explain it then to others. It’s one of those things that people find counterintuitive so won’t accept.

At the ridiculous end of the spectrum are people who argue cyclists should pay road tax because they contribute to wearing out the road (hopefully not on here!). After 30 odd years in highway engineering I’ve been told I’m wrong about virtually everything road design related as people think using the roads gives them knowledge of how they work at a technical level.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Not directly with you but if you go back a couple of pages I tried to explain it then to others. It’s one of those things that people find counterintuitive so won’t accept.

At the ridiculous end of the spectrum are people who argue cyclists should pay road tax because they contribute to wearing out the road (hopefully not on here!). After 30 odd years in highway engineering I’ve been told I’m wrong about virtually everything road design related as people think using the roads gives them knowledge of how they work at a technical level.
    But what about car parks. Surely they will all collapse?
  • First.Aspect
    Roads near here have no HGV traffic and are like the surface of the moon.

Cows don't pay road tax.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I’d be worried about any built in the 1960s as there’ll be voids forming where the bodies of East End gangsters victims decompose. I certainly wouldn’t drive over, or stand under, Hammersmith flyover.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I’d be worried about any built in the 1960s as there’ll be voids forming where the bodies of East End gangsters victims decompose. I certainly wouldn’t drive over, or stand under, Hammersmith flyover.
    Shit I was only joking
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

censored I was only joking

Those were probably the victims' last words.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I found your posts on this interesting and I learnt something, so don't be put off from sharing your expertise.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    I couldn't see what they described as road wear, but as the study was in Scotland I assume it includes majing potholes wese on terrible roads.
  • First.Aspect

I couldn't see what they described as road wear, but as the study was in Scotland I assume it includes majing potholes wese on terrible roads.

Yes in Scotland a road defect needs to be visible in space to count as a pothole. It is Boris Johnsons fault somehow, and means we should be in the EU.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

We did that one an' all. Are you sure dementia is not setting in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Yes in Scotland a road defect needs to be visible in space to count as a pothole. It is Boris Johnsons fault somehow, and means we should be in the EU.
    :D