The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    Can't we use our minds to virtually tavel? This would save the planet and future mind travellers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Sure. But the vociferous objections to my suggestions makes it clear we’re not there yet.

The case for monster investment in public transport is quite clear. Just people currently only know poor public transport so don’t really know what it’s like to have great stuff.

My theory is that most people don't use public transport because it is public and not because of the quality.
    My experience in London does not align with this theory.
    Have you notice the popularity of uber?
    So I used to take a lot of taxis to get across London for work - expensed natch. Used to be faster and you could do work while you were on it.

Since about 2015 that’s stopped - it’s just far too slow. Tube is so much faster to get across zone 1.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Sure. But the vociferous objections to my suggestions makes it clear we’re not there yet.

The case for monster investment in public transport is quite clear. Just people currently only know poor public transport so don’t really know what it’s like to have great stuff.

My theory is that most people don't use public transport because it is public and not because of the quality.
    So I used to take a lot of taxis to get across London for work - expensed natch. Used to be faster and you could do work while you were on it.

Since about 2015 that’s stopped - it’s just far too slow. Tube is so much faster to get across zone 1.
    One of the reasons for that is the popularity of uber.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes but that’s entirely the point I’ve been making about congestion for this entire thread.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926

It's great to see more hybrid supercars so they can swank around London in electric silence.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

It's great to see more hybrid supercars so they can swank around London in electric silence.

Saving the planet while still enjoying life. That's what it's about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Can't we use our minds to virtually tavel? This would save the planet and future mind travellers.

There's an Arnie film where this doesn't go according to plan.
  • Stevo_666

Good point, then the roads wouldn't be clogged with buses and ebikes and going for a drive would be more fun.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

When the bus reliably goes from the end of our road to where people want to go, it is used.
    By everyone?
    Of course not. Is that how you are judging success?
    I don't think the existence of a bus and some passengers is enough evidence to suggest people would choose public transport if it is available. My definition of success would probably be almost everyone.
    When it goes from my driveway to exactly where I want to go at the time that I want it to go (and does the same on the return trip), it'll be a good practical option. Still won't be as much fun though.
  • Stevo_666
    There are some also some more practical planet savers.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    It still looks like it would take up the same amount of space on the road as any other car.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Stevo_666 said:

When the bus reliably goes from the end of our road to where people want to go, it is used.
    By everyone?
    I don't think the existence of a bus and some passengers is enough evidence to suggest people would choose public transport if it is available. My definition of success would probably be almost everyone.
    When it goes from my driveway to exactly where I want to go at the time that I want it to go (and does the same on the return trip), it'll be a good practical option. Still won't be as much fun though.
    Does your car have an upstairs?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

By everyone?
    It's an option if I fit the roof rack and roof box.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671

2015 is probably the start of mass online shopping deliveries and small companies using JiT practices instead of carrying a lot of stock.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

By everyone?
    It's an option if I fit the roof rack and roof box.
    😆 Perhaps a side career in open topped tours of Sevenoaks then?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
  • rick_chasey
    Why are you against LTN when you don’t even live in town?!
  • Stevo_666

Why are you against LTN when you don’t even live in town?!

I'm doing what you do and talking about the wider good. Although occasionally I need to drive in.
  • rick_chasey
    Why would polluting things that stop kids playing on the street be a good thing?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Why would polluting things that stop kids playing on the street be a good thing?

He's just found it gets a reaction
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Welcome back to the 1950s...

When are you selling your polluting thing?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

When I can get around easily without it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Stevo_666 said:

When I can get around easily without it.
    That'll be never then.
    Yes, I am that pessimistic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    You’re too optimistic about car prospects.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

I don't doubt that they will evolve but they won't be replaced by PT.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

That's what people have been trying to tell him for some time on this thread but he doesn't like the answer.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

That's what people have been trying to tell him for some time on this thread but he doesn't like the answer.
    You’ll be dead by the time the changes need to happen so relax.

Difference is some of us won’t be so we want to start the shift as we know it takes half a century.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Difference is some of us won’t be so we want to start the shift as we know it takes half a century.
    You will be as well so stop going on about it - it's irrelevant to us ;)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Isn't the proportion of people getting a driving license falling already?

Here's something for you RC. Yesterday it was warm and we had some pis$y limp sunlight filtering through the clouds, which in Scotland is regarded as "summer". Out and about I saw several car club cars - presumably Edinburgers trying to stave off rickets.

What are your thoughts on car clubs?
  • rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Isn't the proportion of people getting a driving license falling already?

Here's something for you RC. Yesterday it was warm and we had some pis$y limp sunlight filtering through the clouds, which in Scotland is regarded as "summer". Out and about I saw several car club cars - presumably Edinburgers trying to stave off rickets.

What are your thoughts on car clubs?
    Is that like seal clubbing? What do you do with the door panels afterwards?
    Pinnacle Monzonite