The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

TBH, how many of you are actually writing this from inside the ULEZ?

I'm bang in the middle of the ULEZ right now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

TBH, how many of you are actually writing this from inside the ULEZ?

Is this the doesn't affect you so shut up part of the thread?

If so, see above. City councils will be monkey see monkey do on this, so will affect almost everyone in a year or two.

Edinburgh and Glasgow have just taken the first step. The sizes of the zones will get bigger, for sure.
    And the charges will only ever go up. And what is classified as compliant will likely change so they can charge swathes of currently compliant cars.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

TBF, I have offered a running commentary on the Cambridge proposal which is significantly more onerous but no-one is interested

Well given your wholehearted support od the London one, I'd love to hear why the Cambridge one isn't just tough censored .

In less high profile ULEZ, the one they're thinking of in Cambridge is in the process of being watered down.

Currently suggestion is going from £5er a day for any car travel anywhere in the city limits, to now only at peak times (the peak is unusually strong because of the size of the hopsital and the number of private schools versus size of the place), with your first 50 days travel free.

Which would mean I would end up paying virtually zero, which I feel rather defeats the point.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Get the charging network up to scratch first! What are they doing about that?

In my neck of the woods, there are lots of EVs and lots of chargers. No one seems to have a problem despite needing to park on the street. Therefore, I'd imagine people with drives would find it even easier

That said, owning an EV is not being car free.
    Yeah, hot wiring a lap post or two will be fairly quick to implement. The national grid is made of bubble gum and string though. That's a bit more of an issue.

Boris had thought it through though, when he suggested lots of little nuclear reactors. They can be replaced with fusion reactors in a couple of years.

I miss his vision.
    If they are overnight chargers, then the cars can use electricity when there is less demand, so not necessarily a strain on the grid.
    I can never tell if you work in this area in some way. I thought there was a legitimate concern that peak demand would need to increase to cope with, for example, peak fast charging demands. And also that the nation coming home after work and plugging the car in would itself compound the early evening put the kettle on demands seen now?
    If everything is electrified then I think electricity usage over a year would triple. That's going to lead to higher peak demand.

If everyone with an EV has a smart meter, then it will be possible to charge them when demand is low. Some people think it should even be possible to use the batteries on EVs during peak demand, but that seems a bit bonkers to me.

Clearly there will still be people with only street parking available who may choose to charge quickly during peak times, so this will increase total demand. My point was that it is not the case for all EVs.

In general though the grid is a mess and needs upgrading everywhere. Not least Scotland to England. You are in the fortunate position of having lots of local generators.

• TheBigBean

I'd like to go car free but currently it's not practical. Not enough infrastructure, and cheaper to run a car.

I think this thread has shown that you haven't tried that hard.
    I think the "trivial things that annoy you" thread show how much a) public transport I already use and b) what I think of the current state of it.

But yeah, I can't get the family to where they need to be often enough in a time and money efficient way without a car to justify going without one.
    Everyone else thinks like that though so nothing changes. Much in the same way as congestion being solved by other people driving less.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2023

Get the charging network up to scratch first! What are they doing about that?

In my neck of the woods, there are lots of EVs and lots of chargers. No one seems to have a problem despite needing to park on the street. Therefore, I'd imagine people with drives would find it even easier

That said, owning an EV is not being car free.
    Electric cars replacing petrol and diesel for journeys in cities just means traffic jams full of quiet, lower pollution cars.
    Yes, hence my second paragraph.
    Not every reply is an argument.
    Edit. Beaten to the joke.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2023

Which would mean I would end up paying virtually zero, which I feel rather defeats the point.

That would suggest that the point is to extract money from drivers.

• rick_chasey
    edited August 2023

I'd like to go car free but currently it's not practical. Not enough infrastructure, and cheaper to run a car.

I think the "trivial things that annoy you" thread show how much a) public transport I already use and b) what I think of the current state of it.

But yeah, I can't get the family to where they need to be often enough in a time and money efficient way without a car to justify going without one.
    Everyone else thinks like that though so nothing changes. Much in the same way as congestion being solved by other people driving less.
    Yes, that's why the system needs to change. People respond to incentives and you cannot expect to rely on collective altruism. That's naïve.

When you don't want people to litter, you don't just ask them not to. You put bins in and do regular bin collections and fine those who litter.

That's why the whole argument that you must live in a some kind of apostolic sustainable way in order to be able to have a credible view on this is so stupid.
  • TheBigBean

Yes, that's why the system needs to change. People respond to incentives and you cannot expect to rely on collective altruism. That's naïve.

When you don't want people to litter, you don't just ask them not to. You put bins in and do regular bin collections and fine those who litter.

That's why the whole argument that you must live in a some kind of apostolic sustainable way in order to be able to have a credible view on this is so stupid.
    The possibility of being fined for littering is pretty negligible, and yet only a minority of non-smokers do it. Why don't you litter?

It may require a carrot and stick approach to get people out of cars, but it also requires some leaders. People need to see that it is possible. Noting that it is a bad example, look at EVs. If no one had one, there would be scepticism about it all, but as soon as lots of neighbours get them, then the doubters can be made to believe.
  • Stevo_666
    With the London mayoral elections about 8 months off, I have a feeling that this will be Khan's 'Poll Tax' moment. The Tory mayoral candidate has already said that she will reverse the ULEZ expansion which I think will be a big vote winner.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

With the London mayoral elections about 8 months off, I have a feeling that this will be Khan's 'Poll Tax' moment. The Tory mayoral candidate has already said that she will reverse the ULEZ expansion which I think will be a big vote winner.

lol you think London is gonna vote a tory in? in 2024?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Nah, once again the Tory mayoral candidate has been picked to appeal to people living outside of London.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

lol you think London is gonna vote a tory in? in 2024?
    That's what they said about the Uxbridge and Hillingdon by-election.
  • rick_chasey

The possibility of being fined for littering is pretty negligible, and yet only a minority of non-smokers do it. Why don't you litter?

It may require a carrot and stick approach to get people out of cars, but it also requires some leaders. People need to see that it is possible. Noting that it is a bad example, look at EVs. If no one had one, there would be scepticism about it all, but as soon as lots of neighbours get them, then the doubters can be made to believe.
    What part of "it's not practical to where I need to get my family" is hard to understand?

When the bus routes from train stations to villages are shut down and no alternatives are given, what is to be done?

It's just not practical with the current public transport infrastructure.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    This feels like a larger scale version of when the Council in my home town finally decided to make all their car parks pay & display. Businesses were up in arms that it would kill business and affect tourism. The local press was full of it for ages but it still happened. Since then prices have been increased a few times and each time you get the same arguments from business owners on how it will kill trade. The same tired arguments were rolled out when an extra section of the main street was pedestrianised and yet the town is thriving compared to most comparable places and regularly appears in articles about the best town centres.

There were similar protests when another town nearby was going to go to pay & display. The town council was up in arms led by someone I know well, him and his then wife used to work right next to the car park and would both take their (separate) cars to work everyday despite living a 500 metre walk from the office through a church yard and quite residential streets and not having to travel during the work day. They were complaining about the extra cost to them if they had to pay to park!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

What part of "it's not practical to where I need to get my family" is hard to understand?

When the bus routes from train stations to villages are shut down and no alternatives are given, what is to be done?

Okay, so why is ULEZ a fair way to encourage people onto public transport.

I'm talking about people like you, but poorer, who don't have an alternative. Because that's a legitimate excuse.
  • Pross

I thought 'move to the city' was your solution when others previously pointed this out.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

This feels like a larger scale version of when the Council in my home town finally decided to make all their car parks pay & display. Businesses were up in arms that it would kill business and affect tourism. The local press was full of it for ages but it still happened. Since then prices have been increased a few times and each time you get the same arguments from business owners on how it will kill trade. The same tired arguments were rolled out when an extra section of the main street was pedestrianised and yet the town is thriving compared to most comparable places and regularly appears in articles about the best town centres.

There were similar protests when another town nearby was going to go to pay & display. The town council was up in arms led by someone I know well, him and his then wife used to work right next to the car park and would both take their (separate) cars to work everyday despite living a 500 metre walk from the office through a church yard and quite residential streets and not having to travel during the work day. They were complaining about the extra cost to them if they had to pay to park!

I do have to wonder how many of the protesters have 10 year old diesels, tbh. And how many drive into town in their ULEZ compliant vehicles to protest.
  • rick_chasey
    It's fair in that everyone pays the same if they're driving a car that doesn't meet the regs.

That's fair. The gov't even will pay up to £2k for you to scrap your car if it doesn't meet the regs.

What more do you want?

Is it fair that people are breathing in air that is beyond the WHO limit? How far do you want to take the fairness?
  • Pross

Pross said:

I do have to wonder how many of the protesters have 10 year old diesels, tbh. And how many drive into town in their ULEZ compliant vehicles to protest.
    I think it's a classic case of a 'cause' being hijacked.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023
    I await FA's shock when he hears how unfairly priced parking is in central London. Poor people won't be able to afford it...!!! Oh ma gaaawd.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:

Nah. Poll tax affected everyone. This affects maybe 5% of the 60% who didn't already live in the ULEZ.

Your newspaper is lying to you.
  • First.Aspect

I await FA's shock when he hears how unfairly priced parking is in central London. Poor people won't be able to afford it...!!! Oh ma gaaawd.

Did your mum never tell you that two wrongs don't make a right?

I think driving between two private residences in outer London is slightly different though.
  • Pross
    It's a good time for anyone living outside London to buy a cheap 8 year old diesel car anyway. Must be having a knock on effect on the value of my car though so maye I should protest as well.
  • rick_chasey
    I did FWIW cast my vote for someone who was going to support a very onerous congestion charge, so I did put my vote where my political mouth is on this. £5er a day was what was proposed for any car used within the city limits.

Cambridge in general has a well used park & ride setup and part of the deal with the charge is to expand the park & ride.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    When I went to Epoct as a kid there was solar panels of the roofs, monorails and even an example of hydroponics. It was like a little snapshot of what could be in the future.
  • First.Aspect

I did FWIW cast my vote for someone who was going to support a very onerous congestion charge, so I did put my vote where my political mouth is on this. £5er a day was what was proposed for any car used within the city limits.

Cambridge in general has a well used park & ride setup and part of the deal with the charge is to expand the park & ride.

I have no issue whatsoever with congestion charging.
  • rick_chasey

I have no issue whatsoever with congestion charging.
    But that's even more onerous?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

It's a good time for anyone living outside London to buy a cheap 8 year old diesel car anyway. Must be having a knock on effect on the value of my car though so maye I should protest as well.

I think you should moderate your expectations on the residual value of an 8 year old diesel.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120673/be-afraid-be-very-afraid#latest

Why ain't anybody bothered with the AI taking over Humanity n' stuff thread?