The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Blxxdy diving Ingerlaanders. Yew Ess Ay, Yew Ess Ay...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,633
    Right lads what we want tonight is to move the ball really slowly and either float the ball 50 yards forward or pass it back to Jordan. Okay?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    England looking really poor so far.
  • First.Aspect
    Lads, don't pass along the ground, it's less predictable if you control it at shoulder height.
  • First.Aspect
    Josh, Harry, point to where you are going to pass so your team mates know where to run.
  • They know that this slow ponderous cack doesn't suit them, just play quick one touch passes through the lines which is their strength as that last 2mins showed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Years of questionable Eurosport ads have dulled me to a lot of Country Tourism Ads but I must admit that "Visit Saudi Arabia" has floored me....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    Right lads. More of the same in the second half.
  • First.Aspect
    I warn you, if it doesn't get better by the 85th minute, one of you is coming off.
  • I don't watch a lot of football, but isn't Foden better than this lot? At everything?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Y'know these Ingerlish slow bois are going to get lucky, innit. The USAnians just seem so faster and fitter.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    orraloon said:

Y'know these Ingerlish slow bois are going to get lucky, innit. The USAnians just seem so faster and fitter.

I see you're watching. You must have prepared ;)

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    Lads, slow the game down.
  • First.Aspect
    Lee Dixon: where is Ian Wright when you need him?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    They look as bored playing it as I am watching it.
  • England fans booing 😂😂😂
  • ddraver
    edited November 2022
    Not the most thrilling way I've spent 90 minutes on a Friday night...

- @ddraver
  • First.Aspect

England fans booing 😂😂😂

Well if any of them paid to watch it, ypu have to sympathise.
  • England fans booing 😂😂😂

Imagine you'd flown out and only seen one match, and that was it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    So Wales need to beat England and USA to draw with Iran?? By my reckoning Wales would then scrape through over Iran on goal difference with top spot going to England unless Wales won by 6 goals.
  • First.Aspect

England fans booing 😂😂😂

Imagine you'd flown out and only seen one match, and that was it.
    And paid £200 a night to stay in a campsite.

At least they can go off and drown their sorrows.

Oh.
  • Southgate has a World Cup semi final and euros final and still gets pelters.

England fans are off their heads.

That was shite but still means barring a catastrophe they’ve qualified for the second round.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I'm tired, and it's been a long week, so excuse me if the maths is dodgy

England qualify with anything better than a 3-0 loss to Wales?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,259
    edited November 2022

I'm tired, and it's been a long week, so excuse me if the maths is dodgy

England qualify with anything better than a 3-0 loss to Wales?

3-0 also sees them through. 4-0 they're out unless the other match is a draw, in which case they need to lose 7-0 to go out unless it's a 3-3 (or more) draw in which case 6-0.
  • ddraver
    It's more the "that's not the way the winner is going to deal with a Medium quality team in the group stages" aspect for me...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    ddraver said:

It's more the "that's not the way the winner is going to deal with a Medium quality team in the group stages" aspect for me...

Doesn’t very often work like that way though. A lot of eventual winners have been distinctly average in the group stages.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited November 2022
    ddraver said:

In the early stages of recent World Cups in other sports England beat Samoa 60-6 in the Rugby League World Cup but lost to Ireland in the Twenty20 cricket World Cup. All that matters is the final destination.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • First.Aspect
    I'm happy to live in the fantasy that the US are a bad match up for England. They are a young fit team, press hard and are pretty niggly to play against. Will be the exception rather than the rule in international football.

My fear is that Wales, who have been the footballing equivalent of the vegetable aisle so far, will be like other UK teams and be reborn when they play England.