The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• He'd have been playing against teams of 9 every time if some of the tackles he had to take were done now.

That particular game had some prime examples from the English players, when they could catch him.

Peter Reid’s still chasing after him 😂

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Only watched the last 15 minutes but Messi had a chance to shoot in injury time and just dribbled it into trouble - in fact he held on to the ball too long most times he got it

International wise? Not really arsed.

Want England & Republic of Ireland to win when playing so supposed that could be classed as ‘supporting’.

The ‘No Surrender’, ‘10 German bombers’ brigade are just excruciatingly embarrassing though.

As much as the Hand of God was a liability I won’t let it cloud my judgement on how good Maradona was. If it had happened the other way round I would have more then taken it.

To be fair hardly a controversial view even amongst England fans.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    And as for fouling Maradona it's not as if Argentina were ever shrinking violets when it came to cynical physical challenges. If Maradona had been English he'd never have scored that second as an Argentinian defender would have taken him out.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    . . . Japan equalise . . . 15 minutes of normal time to go (so probably half an hour till finish!)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • And as for fouling Maradona it's not as if Argentina were ever shrinking violets when it came to cynical physical challenges. If Maradona had been English he'd never have scored that second as an Argentinian defender would have taken him out.

I’m pretty certain that was Peter Reid’s intention but he couldn’t get near him 😂
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Japan now in front 2-1 . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Japan now in front 2-1 . . .

Great result.

England’s victory is looking more impressive by the day. Think America will be turned over easy enough on Friday. They were awful in the second half.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    edited November 2022
    Well done Japan. What's the German word for schadenfreude? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I feared Belgium were past it, looks to be the case. They look like an old team.

Knew nothing about Canada, they look like a proper dark horse team, young and pacey side. They will cause teams problems.

Good to see Spain back at the top as well. CR were terrible but the Spanish humiliated them and never let their foot off.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    While I like Belgium, many many happy stays there, FFS Canada, just hit the target like you're supposed to. How many wildly off shots can you produce?
  • Yes, Canada look like they are a quality striker short of being a qtr final team. Davies is a quality player but he isn't really a finisher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmmm, unpopular but nevertheless a win for Belgium...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Canada will be gutted, they should have turned Belguim over.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes think we can safely cross Belgium off the list of contenders - famous last words but they looked poor.

Wonder if we'll see both managers in charge of English clubs by the start of next season - the Canada manager never played pro football and had to leave the UK to progress his coaching career - he'd make an interesting appointment for a Championship or decent L1 club.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,320
    edited November 2022
    Yes think we can safely cross Belgium off the list of contenders - famous last words but they looked poor.

Agreed, can't see them turning things around, as soon as they come up against a team with pace that can finish I suspect they will get turned over. You could tell from Kompany's face in the post match chat he knew they were past their best. Shame, they really should have won something 4 or 5 years ago at their peak.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,239

Agreed, can't see them turning things around, as soon as they come up against a team with pace that can finish I suspect they will get turned over. You could tell from Kompany's face in the post match chat he knew they were past their best. Shame, they really should have won something 4 or 5 years ago at their peak.
    I often wonder if the fact they don't even speak the same language and have to revert to English plays into this kind of performance - really lacking in basic teamwork.
  • Not sure, I definitely think there is a lack of cohesive tactics/style though. You have a core of Premier League players and and a PL manager mixed in with others from across other leagues. It always felt like they were playing a mix of tactical approaches without a clear aim. They always seemed to be more a collection of top class individuals as well and not a complete team.
  • rick_chasey
    I can't imagine many national teams not speaking their own language
  • Fair point!
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    The more you think about it, the madder it gets; they can't pick Dutch or French as it'd be too political, so they end up setting on English to keep it from getting dicey.
  • Not sure, I definitely think there is a lack of cohesive tactics/style though. You have a core of Premier League players and and a PL manager mixed in with others from across other leagues. It always felt like they were playing a mix of tactical approaches without a clear aim. They always seemed to be more a collection of top class individuals as well and not a complete team.

I have a theory that we rank countrys higher if we are familiar with their players, ie how many play in the premier league.
  • rick_chasey

Not sure, I definitely think there is a lack of cohesive tactics/style though. You have a core of Premier League players and and a PL manager mixed in with others from across other leagues. It always felt like they were playing a mix of tactical approaches without a clear aim. They always seemed to be more a collection of top class individuals as well and not a complete team.

I have a theory that we rank countrys higher if we are familiar with their players, ie how many play in the premier league.
    They did come third in the last world cup tbf.
  • I have a theory that we rank countrys higher if we are familiar with their players, ie how many play in the premier league.

I think you are right, there is a definite bias if you know of, and regularly watch, certain players play. Canada last night is a good case in point, I knew of Davies and Junior Hoilett but none of the other players. Therefore I (ignorantly) assumed Belgium would win with ease. Yes they won, but Canada were clearly the better team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216

Came up against a high class side in the 2016 Euros that knocked them out.
  • Current Cameroon match just made me remember Roger Milla, one of their star players from a few decades ago, there was loads of mystery at the time as to how old he really was at the world cup. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Came up against a high class side in the 2016 Euros that knocked them out.

Good point!

They did come third in the last world cup tbf.
    you know that was 4 years ago. Kompany retired and Eden Hazard may as well have, Lukaku is struggling and the two at the back aren'tgood enough for Spurs.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Japanese players and supporters showing some class with the players leaving the changing room spotless and the supporters cleaning the stand.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Pross said:

Japanese players and supporters showing some class with the players leaving the changing room spotless and the supporters cleaning the stand.

It's sad that we think this is class and not the norm though
  • No idea who the commentator is, but "I've never understood why they don't count shots that hit the post as shots on target" deserved the response it got. "Because they aren't on target."