Watching the World Cup- will you?

12346»

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.

It looks like a refugee camp - maybe there can be a new Rwanda style deal after the world cup.
    How does Glastonbury compare?

If you think it's similar but with added mud, we're looking at very different things. Apologies.
    My point was that if you're going to host a world cup in a country with a population of a couple of million and expect a not dissimilar number of tourists, then a tent city seems like a better solution than lots of white elephant hotels. Obviously, whatever is done, it will sit alongside the white elephant stadiums.

As to whether the tents look like they offer value for money. Probably not, but I suspect they are more comfortable than being at Glastonbury.

Some are lacking AC and and you don’t get access to the actual event either.
    Still can't believe any tents have AC. Got a picture of this?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    Sure, you'd be pissed if you'd spent £175 a night on this, but why TF would anyone expect a tent to be air conditioned?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Because that's how it was advertised so you'd expect it?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pangolin said:

The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.

It looks like a refugee camp - maybe there can be a new Rwanda style deal after the world cup.
    How does Glastonbury compare?

If you think it's similar but with added mud, we're looking at very different things. Apologies.
    My point was that if you're going to host a world cup in a country with a population of a couple of million and expect a not dissimilar number of tourists, then a tent city seems like a better solution than lots of white elephant hotels. Obviously, whatever is done, it will sit alongside the white elephant stadiums.

As to whether the tents look like they offer value for money. Probably not, but I suspect they are more comfortable than being at Glastonbury.

Some are lacking AC and and you don’t get access to the actual event either.
    Still can't believe any tents have AC. Got a picture of this?
    Saw it on tiktok, so if you want the link I can try and dig it out
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Here's a stargazing pod at Alton Towers. Have a feeling it wasn't much cheaper when I looked at going.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MattFalle said:

Because that's how it was advertised so you'd expect it?

Contracts/brochures mean nothing.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

Here's a stargazing pod at Alton Towers. Have a feeling it wasn't much cheaper when I looked at going.

That sort of thing is £60 a night at Glentress.
  • pangolin
    Apparently it's the bigger ones like this which are meant to have AC. Don't know if they do or not. I'm still surprised people would air condition a tent...

On the other hand, it is only about 28 degrees there at the moment. Was hotter camping in Croyde this summer.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

how can you stargaze in that?

its got a wooden roof.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    MattFalle said:

how can you stargaze in that?

its got a wooden roof.
    You can stargaze on the way to the toilet block in the middle of the night.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/25/qatar-reviewing-london-investments-after-tfl-bans-its-adverts-report?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Interesting phenomenon and one we will see more often in the future.

Bottom line is Middle East has a lot of money sloshing about and they will have more because of the next five years, so what you gonna do?

Just refuse the money?