Watching the World Cup- will you?

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,978
    I'm about to watch a real World Cup Final..... Come on Samoa.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

No excitement for it, but I'll be watching, and in the absence of an Irish team, I'll be jumping on the Welsh bandwagon

What will you do the other two weeks?
    Whoever's playing England
    ABE
    You supporting Italy this time? ;)
    shut up 😀😀😀😀
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

No excitement for it, but I'll be watching, and in the absence of an Irish team, I'll be jumping on the Welsh bandwagon

ABE
    shut up 😀😀😀😀

;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

ABE
    shut up 😀😀😀😀

;)
    shut up 😀😀😀😀

https://youtu.be/7AlYnX9Lxes

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

He did however point out that oppression due to gender, nationality or sexual orientation can be compared to being ginger.

Doing my best to avoid the whole thing, but overheard this on the radio this morning. Was still half asleep so had to replay it in my mind to confirm what he had said.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    I was disappointed he didn’t go into a camp John Inman style when he said “today I feel gay” just to complete the insincerity of his words.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    rjsterry said:

He did however point out that oppression due to gender, nationality or sexual orientation can be compared to being ginger.

Doing my best to avoid the whole thing, but overheard this on the radio this morning. Was still half asleep so had to replay it in my mind to confirm what he had said.
    And freckles.

He's got his finger on the pulse of world affairs, this guy.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Well under Qatari penal code being ginger can result in a max sentence of death by stoning just like being gay.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    As long as Qatar signs the deal with Rishi to give us first dibs on their gas, I don't mind.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

ABE
    shut up 😀😀😀😀

;)
    shut up 😀😀😀😀

https://youtu.be/7AlYnX9Lxes

🙂

Gotta be in it to win it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    edited November 2022
    Well, having won the WC 4 times we're bored of it, so we're concentrating on the Nations league cup knockout super Thursday Cup or whatever its called - you know, the other comp we knocked you out of.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.
  • The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.

It looks like a refugee camp - maybe there can be a new Rwanda style deal after the world cup.
  • TheBigBean

The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.

It looks like a refugee camp - maybe there can be a new Rwanda style deal after the world cup.
    How does Glastonbury compare?

• The fan tent village looks like a decent idea. Not saying it has been well executed though.

If you think it's similar but with added mud, we're looking at very different things. Apologies.
  • MattFalle

at least you can hold hands with who you want and have a beer without someone arresting you in front of a building built on the bodies of endentured migrant workers I suppose.

Probably better music as well.
  • TheBigBean

If you think it's similar but with added mud, we're looking at very different things. Apologies.
    My point was that if you're going to host a world cup in a country with a population of a couple of million and expect a not dissimilar number of tourists, then a tent city seems like a better solution than lots of white elephant hotels. Obviously, whatever is done, it will sit alongside the white elephant stadiums.

As to whether the tents look like they offer value for money. Probably not, but I suspect they are more comfortable than being at Glastonbury.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

My point was that if you're going to host a world cup in a country with a population of a couple of million and expect a not dissimilar number of tourists, then a tent city seems like a better solution than lots of white elephant hotels. Obviously, whatever is done, it will sit alongside the white elephant stadiums.

As to whether the tents look like they offer value for money. Probably not, but I suspect they are more comfortable than being at Glastonbury.

Some are lacking AC and and you don’t get access to the actual event either.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

I saw a snippet on the news this morning.
    Paying customers are not pleased is a decent summary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

Glastonbury is as comfortable as what you bring makes it, isn't it? And you don't (mostly) pay for accommodation. I don't see there's any comparison.

But you aren't wrong about needing new solutions if you decide to take the world cup somewhere that isn't obviously suited. For some reason.
  • Already sick of hearing about England, and they haven't kicked a ball yet
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Why don’t they just put fans in hotels?

Oh yeh…

Joke.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    Didn't take much to put an end to the virtue signalling arm bands did it?
  • TheBigBean

They get access to the beach and fan zone. Clearly they can only access matches they have tickets for.

All I'm saying is that it is a decent idea and is a good template for when it is next hosted in the Sahara.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah not sure lawn based sports are best played in the desert.

The fact they had to move the season of the world cup illustrates the point. It's not unreasonable to say certain climates should be ruled out.
  • TheBigBean

Glastonbury is as comfortable as what you bring makes it, isn't it? And you don't (mostly) pay for accommodation. I don't see there's any comparison.

But you aren't wrong about needing new solutions if you decide to take the world cup somewhere that isn't obviously suited. For some reason.
    Not sure many people at Glastonbury are that comfortable, but I could be wrong.

Whilst we can all make fun of picking Qatar to host it, a similar thing happened when the cricket world cup was held in the Caribbean - there wasn't enough accommodation, so people with tickets didn't go. I'd go as far to say that it would be a good idea for the Olympics as well.

• MattFalle

They get access to the beach and fan zone. Clearly they can only access matches they have tickets for.

All I'm saying is that it is a decent idea and is a good template for when it is next hosted in the Sahara.
    this

why oh why oh why oh why would hiring a tent in a fan village give you any access to any games? or, even, access to anything outside of your tent and the fan village?

you do come out with some weird statements sometimes Rick.
  • MattFalle

Not sure many people at Glastonbury are that comfortable,

undoubtedly not but generally they're all utterly smashed so it doesn't really matter.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Quick intervention. Many many people pay for accomodation at Glastonbury, its a massively expanding market at the festival. You can be sleeping in a hedge for no additional cost, or in a pre erected hut/yurt/tent for thousands of pounds more.
    All bets are off when its pissing down and muddy and everyone has to trudge about the same though. But sleeping/loos/shower access can be night and day.

Back to WC ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner