Watching the World Cup- will you?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

This beer stadium ban - what a rug pull. Ridiculous.

But I do think it is a reasonable imposition, in terms of respecting local culture. It isn't quite the same as saying don't be gay.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

But I do think it is a reasonable imposition, in terms of respecting local culture. It isn't quite the same as saying don't be gay.
    What, changing your mind ahead of the biggest sporting tournament that only occurs every 4 years 2 days before it starts?
  • This beer stadium ban - what a rug pull. Ridiculous.

What, changing your mind ahead of the biggest sporting tournament that only occurs every 4 years 2 days before it starts?
    FIFA and Budweiser been nicely done over there. What are they going to do about it?
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2022

No it's clearly stupid and they've probably breached a few contracts. It's going to make future middle Eastern sportswashing endeavours a harder sell I suppose.

Smacks of a backroom argument along the lines of if you aren't going to stop Denmark using that training kit well we are going to stop alcohol sales.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Don't worry Rick - we're sure your mate Davey "Man of the People" Beckham will sort it
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

No it's clearly stupid and they've probably breached a few contracts. It's going to make future middle Eastern sportswashing endeavours a harder sell I suppose.

Smacks of a backroom argument along the lines of if you aren't going to stop Denmark using that training kit well we are going to stop alcohol sales.
    yup - its not like head bod woke up in the morning and went "right, fellas I've got a cracking idea...."

tbh, its a fault of FIFA for not having this 1,000% sorted beforehand.
  • First.Aspect
    I've just read that there is a thing called 'Bud Zero'

Isn't that pretty much Bud anyway?
  • I've just read that there is a thing called 'Bud Zero'

Isn't that pretty much Bud anyway?

I think you are confusing zero alcohol with zero taste.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited November 2022
    MattFalle said:

Don't worry Rick - we're sure your mate Davey "Man of the People" Beckham will sort it
    Some hope.

https://youtu.be/MLN0iIwIpiQ
  • MattFalle
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060

Yeah.

Only because you are too young to remember that Argentina match.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey

Yeah.

Only because you are too young to remember that Argentina match.
    Ha oh I remember that alright.
  • MattFalle
    he wasn't flavour of the month really, was he?

If I remember rightyly there was one at the Boleyn as well

(Rick -that's West Ham's old ground)
    (Rick - West Ham are are a football (soccer) team that are in East London)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

No excitement for it, but I'll be watching, and in the absence of an Irish team, I'll be jumping on the Welsh bandwagon

What will you do the other two weeks?
    Whoever's playing England
    #ABE
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Isn't every world cup and Olympics the same. Loads of "it's going to be terrible" stories until it starts, then everyone enjoys it.

That doesn't it is a sensible place and time to hold the tournament.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    <

Isn't every world cup and Olympics the same. Loads of "it's going to be terrible" stories until it starts, then everyone enjoys it.

That doesn't it is a sensible place and time to hold the tournament.

Beijing winter Olympics was a bit more meh than previous ones for me..
  • First.Aspect
    orraloon said:

No excitement for it, but I'll be watching, and in the absence of an Irish team, I'll be jumping on the Welsh bandwagon

#ABE
    Once the tournament is expanded to 168 teams you'll be able to support Scotland.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This beer unturn… are you telling me the Qataris are not good on their word?

Colour me shocked.

Shambles.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Good to read the head of FIFA is handling things really well.
  • First.Aspect
    We are hypocrites. Therefore, anything is okay.

I think that's the reasoning. Anyhow, I think Tim Roth is lined up for the sequel.
  • rick_chasey
    The fan zone is also proper fyre festival stuff. Seen some vids on TikTok and it looks appalling.

£185 a night for a tent with no front door, just a flap, barely any facilities, just an army dorm spec bed with an AC machine.

I guess they spent all their money on the bribery.

Also read the paid-for-fans have have had their pay rescinded when the story leaked so the authorities could correctly claim they’re not paid, so a lot of them are out of pocket.

I guess banning of booze is sensible in that all the fans are in the same city and if they’re treated this badly they’ll kick off….
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Gianni Infinitesimal giving it full moneywash in his press brief. Yeah, you're such a great role model, we'll do what you say.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    The best thing about the whole thing is the entertainment of the inherent greed and corruption in top-level football turning the WC into an epic shitshow.

And in response to the thread's question, no, but I wouldn't have done anyway.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

orraloon said:

#ABE
    Once the tournament is expanded to 168 teams you'll be able to support Scotland.
    Briefly
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

The fan zone is also proper fyre festival stuff. Seen some vids on TikTok and it looks appalling.

£185 a night for a tent with no front door, just a flap, barely any facilities, just an army dorm spec bed with an AC machine.

Also read the paid-for-fans have have had their pay rescinded when the story leaked so the authorities could correctly claim they’re not paid, so a lot of them are out of pocket.

I guess banning of booze is sensible in that all the fans are in the same city and if they’re treated this badly they’ll kick off….

AC in a tent? With no door?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2022
    He did however point out that oppression due to gender, nationality or sexual orientation can be compared to being ginger.
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

AC in a tent? With no door?
    Flap
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680

It's an epic flex tbh...

Gotta admire it in a lot of ways.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,047
    MattFalle said:

ABE
    You supporting Italy this time? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,047
    edited November 2022
    orraloon said:

#ABE
    Don't be like that Loon, we'd support Scotland if they were in it and England was too shyte to qualify :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]