Watching the World Cup- will you?

Right

Who here will watch it given its Qatar and all we know?

The MFs honestly do not know whether they will - no matter how brilliant M'Bappe's 62 yard toe punt into the top corner is the massive human rights issues and awful loss of migrant worker life to build the stadium may just take away any glamour/joy.

Waddya say?
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Not bothered. Mind you, I didn't watch the last one either, so I'm not the best person to ask. There doesn't seem to be the same level of general excitement as for a typical world cup though.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Without a 6 week build up, players in training camp, the season finished, it all has a strange feel, and that's ignoring all the human rights elements associated with this particular event. I had to laugh at Blatter saying he thought it was a mistake though!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Wouldn't have watched it anyway so an easy no from me. Presumably the matches are on at some antisocial hour so B³ and I won't get too enjoy quiet roads whilst they're on.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Zzzzzzzzzzz.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No reason to watch millionaires in a country of millionaires kicking a ball around
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    Probably. I don't think watching it because it is in Qatar is any worse than watching it when it was in Russia. Or for that matter following F1.

But like others I am far less enthused than for previous tournaments. Possibly because it feels like we skipped 3 years?
  • I might get swept up in the excitement being a Taff. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited November 2022
    I think I must have watched some of the last one, but honestly can't remember a single thing about it.

Probably watch some of this if the times are amenable and it doesn't all feel too weird.

As someone who is generally uninterested, who's any good these days?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

Probably. I don't think watching it because it is in Qatar is any worse than watching it when it was in Russia. Or for that matter following F1.

But like others I am far less enthused than for previous tournaments. Possibly because it feels like we skipped 3 years?

Pretty much this.

I'll be watching every game I can.

I feel that many other major sporting events have been held and will continue to be held in countries with dubious human rights records that were and are just as worthy of our cumulative ire.

As unpalatable as it may be, is Qatar really worse than, say, Russia or China (some would even throw USA into that pot) in terms of human rights abuses?

No team or country has boycotted the event (as far as I know) and it's not really their fault that FIFA picked Qatar to host the tournament. The world has had 10 years to do something about it and has done nothing. In that regard, every team in it could be seen as being complicit by attending and none have organised something else as an alternative (again, as far as I know).

I doubt anything will come of it but perhaps there is the opportunity for media, fans and teams to highlight in soft protest their disagreement with the Qatari government. Unfortunately for "sports washers" there comes a time when the sport is in your washing machine. Media, fans and teams should do what they can to make it a "difficult wash"

I can't really articulate my feelings very well on this and would much rather see the World Cup somewhere other than Qatar . . . at least somewhere with a smidge of football heritage but any anger or protest should be aimed at FIFA and their selection (or "sales") process rather than the event once it is underway.

I do think that the less than warm reception that the tournament has had so far will mean that there will be fewer travelling fans to Qatar which is a shame and I am sure this will dampen the event even further.

PS If you haven't seen the latest Budweiser World Cup advert, give it a look - genius!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    Here's the Budweiser ad.

https://youtu.be/mQLp6SBOocc
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I don't get it. Its just a generic coke advert but for beer.
  • laurentian

I don't get it. Its just a generic coke advert but for beer.

". . . whatever your tunnel . . ."
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Probably. I don't think watching it because it is in Qatar is any worse than watching it when it was in Russia. Or for that matter following F1.

Pretty much this.

I'll be watching every game I can.

I feel that many other major sporting events have been held and will continue to be held in countries with dubious human rights records that were and are just as worthy of our cumulative ire.

As unpalatable as it may be, is Qatar really worse than, say, Russia or China (some would even throw USA into that pot) in terms of human rights abuses?

No team or country has boycotted the event (as far as I know) and it's not really their fault that FIFA picked Qatar to host the tournament. The world has had 10 years to do something about it and has done nothing. In that regard, every team in it could be seen as being complicit by attending and none have organised something else as an alternative (again, as far as I know).

I doubt anything will come of it but perhaps there is the opportunity for media, fans and teams to highlight in soft protest their disagreement with the Qatari government. Unfortunately for "sports washers" there comes a time when the sport is in your washing machine. Media, fans and teams should do what they can to make it a "difficult wash"

I can't really articulate my feelings very well on this and would much rather see the World Cup somewhere other than Qatar . . . at least somewhere with a smidge of football heritage but any anger or protest should be aimed at FIFA and their selection (or "sales") process rather than the event once it is underway.

I do think that the less than warm reception that the tournament has had so far will mean that there will be fewer travelling fans to Qatar which is a shame and I am sure this will dampen the event even further.

PS If you haven't seen the latest Budweiser World Cup advert, give it a look - genius!
    Scotland are boycotting it
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,978
    Wouldn't watch it wherever it was.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    I'll watch the games against USA and Wales as they're 7pm KOs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    I feel like never being into kickball until the QFs will be quite a useful asset here.

If it's going well then I can slide in at my usual point (usually around game 3 of the quarters), if not, well I never watch it anyway. Comfortably sat on the bloodsoaked fence FTW!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm a big fan of club football but the international scene has never ever interested me. I couldn't give a monkeys about the English football team, so no I won't be watching any of it.

However, if I was mad keen on international football then yes, even given the venue, I'd watch the England games and probably a few more to boot.

What true patriotic mad football fan is going to boycott watching the biggest football tournament on the planet, one that comes around only every 4 years, just because of what some backward Arab nation has done?

The organisers don't give a s**t what horrific events are going on there, so I doubt most football fans will either.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    I do think it highly unlikely that Qatar would be facing any uncomfortable questions about gay rights etc if they hadn't won the bid, so perhaps some good will come of it.

Probably not enough to compensate for the deaths of all the migrant labourers, mind you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2022
    Not the fan’s fault it’s in Qatar. Not much positive going in the world so this is great.

Tbh if I took a stand on not watching sports because of Middle Eastern sports washing there wouldn’t be many sports left to watch…

What’s mad is we all know it’s utterly corrupt and yet it’s still happening.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    edited November 2022
    There wasn't any of this moral crusade 4 years ago when it was held in Putin's Russia. And as Rick says, there are plenty of sporting events held in, or teams backed by unsavoury regimes.

I may watch games if the timings work, but won't go out of my way if the timings are odd.
  • Nov 5 (Reuters) - The British government has approached Qatar to seek a long-term gas deal and shore up supplies as a natural gas shortage in Europe has led to soaring wholesale prices, the Financial Times reported on Friday.

British ministers and their counterparts from the world's largest producer of liquefied natural gas have held talks over a long-term arrangement where Qatar would become a "supplier of last resort," the newspaper reported, citing people briefed on the discussions.

UK Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy and the Qatari government did not immediately respond to a Reuters' request for a comment on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/uk-seeks-long-term-gas-deal-with-qatar-asks-become-supplier-last-resort-ft-2021-11-05/

Qatar has the third largest gas reserves, behind, ahhh hmm, Russia, then Iran.

Ummmm...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited November 2022
    Qatar is willing to help the UK with its cost of living crisis, the country's energy minister has said - but he also criticised western countries who spent years "demonising oil and gas companies".

In an exclusive interview, Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi said that years of pushing for a rapid end to fossil fuel production and calling producers the "bad guys" had contributed to the current crisis.

He told Sky News that the root causes of the recent increase in gas and energy prices in Europe and beyond could be traced back many years before the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

"It's definitely a deeper issue," he said - pointing out that investment in gas production had fallen steadily in recent years, as Europe pushed to eliminate carbon emissions sooner in an effort to combat climate change.

"There was a build up of countries pushing for the [energy] transition in a hard way. [They pushed for] net-zero, moving to renewables, doing away with fossil fuels and demonising the oil and gas companies, [calling them] the bad guys. And [as a result] you don't have enough investment in the oil and gas sector."

Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi is Qatar's energy minister
    The comments came as a Qatari delegation, led by the country's leader, the Emir, met with Boris Johnson to announce a "Strategic Investment Partnership" under which Qatar will invest up to £10bn across the UK.

However, with energy regulator Ofgem signalling that the price cap will rise to £2,800 this winter - the highest level on record - there is little instant remedy for the wholesale gas prices being faced by the UK.

The energy minister said: "The wind does not always blow, and the sun does not shine all the time… We are absolutely convinced that you can't achieve that transition [to renewables] without fossil fuels. And the best fossil fuel available to mankind is gas."

Qatar has the world's third-biggest proven natural gas reserves, and is now one of the biggest providers of the fuel to the UK, shipping it in vast liquefied natural gas tankers to Britain's three LNG terminals
    https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-west-reaping-the-consequences-of-demonising-oil-and-gas-companies-qatar-minister-12620655

Ignorance is bliss and all that I guess.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited November 2022
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Yes will be watching a full match every day there is one on unless I really can't find time - not always live but the other half watches football too so that'll be most evenings.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited November 2022
    you're late again to the party Rick - its been cleared up as dumpkopf security guards not receiving instructions re press reporting.

even the reporter said it has been clearedvupvand hr understands it was a cluster.

its no different to the protest and reporting regs recently introduced by the #toryscum in the home policing bill

This is an "oh dear" moment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2022/nov/08/photographer-and-film-maker-arrested-at-just-stop-oil-protest
  • laurentian
    For anyone interested in how Qatar won the bid for this world cup and the systemic and astonishingly high level of corruption involved in the awarding of this and past world cups, "FIFA Uncovered" on Netflix is a fascinating watch.

Four 1 hour episodes - I've watched the first three
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

For anyone interested in how Qatar won the bid for this world cup and the systemic and astonishingly high level of corruption involved in the awarding of this and past world cups, "FIFA Uncovered" on Netflix is a fascinating watch.

Four 1 hour episodes - I've watched the first three

Is the conclusion anything other than financial gain for the people running FIFA?
    I'd be surprised if they come out clean.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Beckham did quite well out it all tbh but its nothing about his morals we didn't know before