Musky

Comments

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Well, would you rather a bloke akin to Musk prospers in China and helps their economy?

You are aware one of his gigafactories and the one that builds his Superchargers is in Shanghai on state-owned land?
    I was the one who posted about it.
    So, I think that answers your question.
    Based. Where does the majority of his companies reside?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507
    Well ... It's a tactic.

We'll have to see how users like being beta testers.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768
    edited November 2022
    Tesla is now supporting well over 600,000 jobs, CEO Elon Musk shared on Twitter the other day. In total, Tesla provides over 110,000 direct jobs and 500,000 indirect jobs, including its suppliers. Elon Musk’s response was to John of Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley, who highlighted Tesla’s manufacturing success in the USA.

Who/What creates growth?

• focuszing723
    edited November 2022
    Perhaps people should ask themselves that before they channel their inner Corbyn.

How do you pay for the ever increasing costs of public services without growth?
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2022
    Jezyboy said:

Well ... It's a tactic.

We'll have to see how users like being beta testers.

It's a "first principles" tactic that worked to create reusable Space rockets and the first mass production EV.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

Tesla is now supporting well over 600,000 jobs, CEO Elon Musk shared on Twitter the other day. In total, Tesla provides over 110,000 direct jobs and 500,000 indirect jobs, including its suppliers. Elon Musk’s response was to John of Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley, who highlighted Tesla’s manufacturing success in the USA.

Who/What creates growth?

You can create growth without being a bell end.

He’s currently destroying growth to the tune 50% off highs for Tesla so go figure.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507

Who/What creates growth?

I mean, Space X as well as Silicon Valley in general, are massive beneficiaries of government finding (both historic and in some cases current).

...so is the answer massive government funding.
  • There's now a new class of user on twitter.

"Verified" here meaning "not verified".

Should have used this.

• Look, I'm not arguing with any of you for the rest of this evening. It's clear I'm right and you've got till tomorrow to get up to speed.

Hasta la vista
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    edited November 2022

Perhaps people should ask themselves that before they channel their inner Corbyn.

How do you pay for the ever increasing costs of public services without growth?

At what point does the cost of public services become unsustainable?
    When life expectancies go to 125? Or... when there are so many obese people that won't/can't work that there's not enough skinny people ('cos the skinny people are too busy looking after the incontinent 90+) to look after them? Or... when the cost of even more advanced medical treatment becomes un-affordable amongst all the other costs like Type 2 diabetes amongst 65% of the population that are obese? Or... all 3?

Who makes gastric bands, incontinence pads and insulin? 'cos i'm going to buy shares.
    [i'll have to pay the skinny people to look after me when i'm old so I need to start investing].

As for flooding in the North and desertification of the SE...

cont. p94

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tesla is now supporting well over 600,000 jobs, CEO Elon Musk shared on Twitter the other day. In total, Tesla provides over 110,000 direct jobs and 500,000 indirect jobs, including its suppliers. Elon Musk’s response was to John of Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley, who highlighted Tesla’s manufacturing success in the USA.

Who/What creates growth?

He’s currently destroying growth to the tune 50% off highs for Tesla so go figure.
    My company has done everything it promised investors since IPO, delivering significant AUM growth, M&A, continued profitability growth (actual and underlying), is heavily diversified, actually benefitting from energy price rises as we generate lots of energy, launched several new funds etc etc. yet share price is down 25% since IPO.

Most, if not all tech companies are down at LEAST 50% from their nighs. The entire Nasdaq tech index is down 50%.

Musk is a nob but if you are so miopic to think that he's the reason the Tesla share price is down 50%, you don't know a fraction of what you think you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042

Who/What creates growth?

My company has done everything it promised investors since IPO, delivering significant AUM growth, M&A, continued profitability growth (actual and underlying), is heavily diversified, actually benefitting from energy price rises as we generate lots of energy, launched several new funds etc etc. yet share price is down 25% since IPO.

Most, if not all tech companies are down at LEAST 50% from their nighs. The entire Nasdaq tech index is down 50%.

Musk is a nob but if you are so miopic to think that he's the reason the Tesla share price is down 50%, you don't know a fraction of what you think you know.
    I know less than he forgot.
    [Stan Laurel]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Him having to sell shares won't be helping.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372

Him having to sell shares won't be helping.

It's why my screenshot was of the last few days, while he's making a fool of himself. Maybe there are other factors, but he's hardly giving people confidence in his decision-making prowess.

I am guessing he has used his Tesla shares for his Twitter loan so as the price drops he will have to sell more which if he is unlucky will put him in a vicious circle.

Was there an exit fee to get out of the deal?

I am guessing he has used his Tesla shares for his Twitter loan so as the price drops he will have to sell more which if he is unlucky will put him in a vicious circle.

No, there was a $1bn reverse breakup fee, but nothing he could exercise himself.

That's why when he announced he was pulling out, they sued him to complete the deal.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    You’d think he could afford better lawyers. Unless, of course, he was too arrogant to listen to their advice. Sounds like he needs advice from Trump on how to make deals.
  • briantrumpet

Him having to sell shares won't be helping.

Guess when he took over Twitter and started spouting his mouth off about it and making impetuous changes that scared off advertisers?

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971

Look, I'm not arguing with any of you for the rest of this evening. It's clear I'm right and you've got till tomorrow to get up to speed.

Hasta la vista

You are funny. Please wake up soon and entertain us some more.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • briantrumpet
    dabber said:

Look, I'm not arguing with any of you for the rest of this evening. It's clear I'm right and you've got till tomorrow to get up to speed.

Hasta la vista

You are funny. Please wake up soon and entertain us some more.

I think he's at the stage of trying to convince himself.
  • On the positive side, I am seeing almost no adverts on twitter these days. Well done Elon!
  • Musk ends all remote working from today, says that 50% of revenue in future needs to come from subscriptions.

I think if you're any good, you'd probably leave now.
  • briantrumpet

Musk ends all remote working from today, says that 50% of revenue in future needs to come from subscriptions.

I think if you're any good, you'd probably leave now.

I think they're getting the message:

• briantrumpet
    A genius, like Trump, it seems. Regulations are for other people.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Is this moving into a real life bonfire of the vanities?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I do hope he totally tanks it purely for the entertainment value.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    morstar said:

I don't. It provides something really useful. And gratifying as it is to see a planetary ego fall on his face, lots of people will lose an ability to connect with others that other platforms don't really provide. Not to mention lots of people losing their jobs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Hasta la vista

It’s now tomorrow and you gone quiet. Has he forgotten to recharge you. Mind he does look like he needs recharging himself, does he need infusions of virgins blood. Or does need to wait for a lightening strike or is the reality he’s a lizard wearing a human skin cover.
  • morstar
    edited November 2022
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

I don't. It provides something really useful. And gratifying as it is to see a planetary ego fall on his face, lots of people will lose an ability to connect with others that other platforms don't really provide. Not to mention lots of people losing their jobs.
    I can’t help but feel the Maggieism will ring true, the market will provide.

It’s a fair rebuff to my flippant point but, I’d counter with the following.

A lot of different interests in western democracies have recently tried to pervert and influence public discourse in manners not previously possible. e.g. Trump and the Tories extensively promoting lies and misinformation through platforms like Twitter. Musk seems keen to facilitate this (presumably for financial gain) and his potential failure may be a bigger service to democracy than the short term pain of the demise of Twitter.

Twitter has a very privileged position given how it grew to dominate a certain space purely through timing. It’s replacement by multiple, smaller alternatives may serve the public better than one giant with market distorting strength.

Long live the revolution.
  • morstar
    It’s certainly too powerful a medium to be controlled by one ego maniac.