Musky

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,910
    morstar said:

Unsurprising

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63534240

Small shift so far which will either Peter out or be the change people thought couldn’t happen.

Looks too complicated/fragmented for most Twitter users, from what I've read. I'd go for petering out.
  • morstar said:

Unsurprising

Small shift so far which will either Peter out or be the change people thought couldn’t happen.

Looks too complicated/fragmented for most Twitter users, from what I've read. I'd go for petering out.
    Yes, it's not the one.
  • briantrumpet

morstar said:

Unsurprising

Yes, it's not the one.

And unlike Zoom during lockdown, from that report, it looks like they will struggle to cope with the influx.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    Not sure that there is a ready made scaleable alternative?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    From a tech point of view anything well architected should be pretty scalable.

Scaling the human side of things (e.g. for content moderation) will be more challenging.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

Scaling the human side of things (e.g. for content moderation) will be more challenging.

'Rumour has it' (i.e. via Twitter) that he's trying to rehire some of the people he fired. Seems that Twitter can't be run by one person, even in Musk's new model.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    pangolin said:

The English language wants a word with that sentence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

It's still a f***ing abomination. What's wrong with the word 'designed'?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

Can't say I like it either, but verbing has been going on for a long time, abetted by one Mr Shakespeare, no less. OED also lists 'architecture' as a verb, if you prefer that...

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

Are all registered designers this touchy about the term?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited November 2022

All I know is the only way to design and achieve this, is greatness.

Look at the architecture of the support structure, Norman Foster would be proud of that.
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2022
    Perhaps we should have a thread to celebrate people who dream, aspire and push humanity forward.

Growth.
  • rjsterry
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

Are all registered designers this touchy about the term?
    😁
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

Can't say I like it either, but verbing has been going on for a long time, abetted by one Mr Shakespeare, no less. OED also lists 'architecture' as a verb, if you prefer that...

I do not. What does that even mean? This is the trouble with just recording the rubbish that people commit to paper (or screen) and then claiming you are a definitive authority.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

I do not. What does that even mean? This is the trouble with just recording the rubbish that people commit to paper (or screen) and then claiming you are a definitive authority.

The OED isn't a definitive authority, it is a descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) dictionary. People use words other people don't care for. Some people still don't care for the word "ain't", but it's in dictionaries.

https://davidskinner.org/about/the-story-of-aint/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347

Look at the architecture of the support structure, Norman Foster would be proud of that.

That thing is frikkin hooge.
    For the energy to get that up into space (and back), how many cars would you have to take off the road for an equivalence?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

The OED isn't a definitive authority, it is a descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) dictionary. People use words other people don't care for. Some people still don't care for the word "ain't", but it's in dictionaries.

It claims to be definitive as you can see in your screen grab.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    pinno said:

For the energy to get that up into space (and back), how many cars would you have to take off the road for an equivalence?
    It doesn't run on petrol, and thankfully we don't generally power cars with hydrogen fuelled rocket motors. So difficult to calculate a meaningful comparison.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    edited November 2022
    pinno said:

Yeah it's a fair point. I did see this though which sounds hopeful.

Energy startup Green Hydrogen International (GHI) is planning to develop a new project based in South Texas.
    The hub plans to supply billionaire Elon Musk’s SpaceX with green hydrogen for the rocket company’s methane-powered rocket engines.
    Other uses for the abundant, colorless gas include adding it to ammonia for fertilizers and generating environmentally friendly jet fuels.
    Mars evangelist and SpaceX founder Elon Musk may soon have an easier time going green.

Green Hydrogen International (GHI), a Texas-based energy startup, announced plans last week to develop a brand-new green hydrogen project—the world’s largest—in South Texas. GHI says some of the hydrogen from this project will be used to develop clean rocket fuel for Elon Musk’s aerospace company SpaceX.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a39353989/green-hydrogen-plant-could-fuel-spacex-rockets/
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

FYI

It claims to be definitive as you can see in your screen grab.
    Fairy nuff... well, it does define what words people use, even the words we don't like.
  • focuszing723
    edited November 2022
    I still find it intriguing (I won't use that thread because I know I will be disparaged, which is fair) why Musk doesn't concentrate on what I think most people would agree is his main goal, of getting humanity into space? Why lose focus/jeopardise that, goodwill, contracts, grants, funding...

Clearly, he's having to concentrate on twitter now.

I guess you are who you are and he's doesn't have a choice, it's why he has achieve what he has. That's the decision his genetic makeup was going to make.

George Best, could have been such a better player if he just concentrated on football...You are who you are.
  • Most people on here are/seem pre-programmed.
  • Most people are normal - that's now the normal distribution works.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Most people are normal - that's now the normal distribution works.

...and half of them are of below average intelligence. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • What he is doing on twitter is very funny. I'm starting to believe he'll end up not changing all that much because he needs the users (to have someone to sell to).