Musky

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696

I still find it intriguing (I won't use that thread because I know I will be disparaged, which is fair) why Musk doesn't concentrate on what I think most people would agree is his main goal, of getting humanity into space? Why lose focus/jeopardise that, goodwill, contracts, grants, funding...

Clearly, he's having to concentrate on twitter now.

I guess you are who you are and he's doesn't have a choice, it's why he has achieve what he has. That's the decision his genetic makeup was going to make.

George Best, could have been such a better player if he just concentrated on football...You are who you are.

His main goal should be running Tesla properly.
  • rick_chasey
    Now, if you look at where Tesla get the raw materials for their USP; their batteries, you get a better idea of where Musk is coming from with this stuff.

All the stupid self driving cars and reinventing public transport or trying to blow up crypto are just ways for him to dupe the gullible into parting with their cash.
  • Due to the incompetence of some of our nation's infrastructure engineers I'm currently stuck with a pretty ordinary broadband connection. There are two alternatives:
    - Use a 4G wireless modem instead. Can be faster, is definitely more expensive, and also less reliable
    - Use Starlink. Offers very substantially improved performance, (or is claimed to), at almost 55% more cost however.

I'm considering it seriously. The *only* thing putting me off is it means money in the pocket of Musk.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544

Due to the incompetence of some of our nation's infrastructure engineers I'm currently stuck with a pretty ordinary broadband connection. There are two alternatives:
    - Use a 4G wireless modem instead. Can be faster, is definitely more expensive, and also less reliable
    - Use Starlink. Offers very substantially improved performance, (or is claimed to), at almost 55% more cost however.

I'm considering it seriously. The *only* thing putting me off is it means money in the pocket of Musk.

Musk is probably the person causing the infrastructure problems to get people to sign up with his product!
  • pinno said:

All I know is the only way to design and achieve this, is greatness.

Look at the architecture of the support structure, Norman Foster would be proud of that.

That thing is frikkin hooge.
    For the energy to get that up into space (and back), how many cars would you have to take off the road for an equivalence?
    I remember going around Cape Canaveral and being staggered at the size of all the numbers associated with the Saturn 5 project. It reaches a point when you are adding fuel to lift the fuel that you added to lift the rocket.
  • Now, if you look at where Tesla get the raw materials for their USP; their batteries, you get a better idea of where Musk is coming from with this stuff.

All the stupid self driving cars and reinventing public transport or trying to blow up crypto are just ways for him to dupe the gullible into parting with their cash.

I get the point. The thing is though and I've mentioned it before, why risk a couple hundred million trying to design and more difficulty put into production two of the most complicated/thinkable businesses in the World, if you're money oriented (They should have gone bust). That applies to twitter too.

It's not about the money in my opinion. I think people need to watch a couple of youtube videos of Musk being interview if they want to try and seeing it from his genetic perspective. It's obviously a very rare genetic make up to be like this.

Would you buy twitter if you wanted to make money? Hell no, madness.

• Pross said:

Due to the incompetence of some of our nation's infrastructure engineers I'm currently stuck with a pretty ordinary broadband connection. There are two alternatives:

Musk is probably the person causing the infrastructure problems to get people to sign up with his product!
    Considerably less interesting than that. My street is all connected via FTTN, except us as the last house at the end. Allegedly the technical limitation is that the premises must be within 1.5km from the node or they won't hook you up. At the time the network round here was built, the infrastructure team concluded my house is outside that limit.

Three different, calibrated GPS devices all give the distance to that node box as 1.34 km.

I've given up trying to get them to even re-measure, let alone cost up connection.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,504

Perhaps we should have a thread to celebrate people who dream, aspire and push humanity forward.

Growth.

Reminds me of one of my favourite speeches from the movies.
    https://youtu.be/VVxYOQS6ggk
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Now, if you look at where Tesla get the raw materials for their USP; their batteries, you get a better idea of where Musk is coming from with this stuff.

I get the point. The thing is though and I've mentioned it before, why risk a couple hundred million trying to design and more difficulty put into production two of the most complicated/thinkable businesses in the World, if you're money oriented (They should have gone bust). That applies to twitter too.

It's not about the money in my opinion. I think people need to watch a couple of youtube videos of Musk being interview if they want to try and seeing it from his genetic perspective. It's obviously a very rare genetic make up to be like this.

I think he made a mistake and got bounced into it, tbh.

It's not really a sign he's in a state of mind where he's making good judgements.

TBH, his judgements beyond the actual car company have generally been appalling. He should stick to car making and shut up.

Thing is, Tesla made him so rich a lot of people now have to live his mid-life crisis with him.

Tesla's share price has halved since November 2021. He should focus on the day job.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited November 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Perhaps we should have a thread to celebrate people who dream, aspire and push humanity forward.

Growth.

Great film, great clip, yeah it's a tricky one. A good balance is required I think, as akin to many things, push the limits at either extreme and there are problems as a consequence.
  • That looks and sounds supply chain - COVID / semiconductor related, not demand / Musk related.

Lots of companies are down 50 % this year.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited November 2022

I think he made a mistake and got bounced into it, tbh.

It's not really a sign he's in a state of mind where he's making good judgements.

TBH, his judgements beyond the actual car company have generally been appalling. He should stick to car making and shut up.

Thing is, Tesla made him so rich a lot of people now have to live his mid-life crisis with him.

Tesla's share price has halved since November 2021. He should focus on the day job.
    His day job, which lets face it is when he is awake is probably his mind exploding with ideas. What's rare too is actually acting on them.
  • rick_chasey
    He shouldn’t be CEO then.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    Meh Tesla stock seemed to be massively over valued.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

Stevo_666 said:

Growth.

Great film, great clip, yeah it's a tricky one. A good balance is required I think, as akin to many things, push the limits at either extreme and there are problems as a consequence.
    It's a good speech only if you ignore the film's conclusion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

Growth.

It's a good speech only if you ignore the film's conclusion.
    Yeah, the pain boom and bust creates. A balance would be good which still encourages the evolution of products, akin to the absolutely incredible thing we are doing right now, which blokes akin to Musk have driven.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

From a tech point of view anything well architected should be pretty scalable.

Scaling the human side of things (e.g. for content moderation) will be more challenging.

The English language wants a word with that sentence.

FYI

It's still a f***ing abomination. What's wrong with the word 'designed'?

Can't say I like it either, but verbing has been going on for a long time, abetted by one Mr Shakespeare, no less. OED also lists 'architecture' as a verb, if you prefer that...

I do not. What does that even mean? This is the trouble with just recording the rubbish that people commit to paper (or screen) and then claiming you are a definitive authority.

The OED isn't a definitive authority, it is a descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) dictionary. People use words other people don't care for. Some people still don't care for the word "ain't", but it's in dictionaries.

https://davidskinner.org/about/the-story-of-aint/
    It claims to be definitive as you can see in your screen grab.
    Fairy nuff... well, it does define what words people use, even the words we don't like.
    I still can't see how you use architecture as a verb.

Just to illustrate how ridiculous 'architected' is, I need to get someone to plumber my boiler as it's mysteriously sprung a leak. We've called the guy who plumbered it before.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

I still find it intriguing (I won't use that thread because I know I will be disparaged, which is fair) why Musk doesn't concentrate on what I think most people would agree is his main goal, of getting humanity into space? Why lose focus/jeopardise that, goodwill, contracts, grants, funding...

Clearly, he's having to concentrate on twitter now.

I guess you are who you are and he's doesn't have a choice, it's why he has achieve what he has. That's the decision his genetic makeup was going to make.

George Best, could have been such a better player if he just concentrated on football...You are who you are.

This is just a copout. Your genetic makeup does not determine your actions. It might determine hair colour or probability of heart disease,but your actions are all your own responsibility.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

From a tech point of view anything well architected should be pretty scalable.

Scaling the human side of things (e.g. for content moderation) will be more challenging.

The English language wants a word with that sentence.

FYI

It's still a f***ing abomination. What's wrong with the word 'designed'?

Can't say I like it either, but verbing has been going on for a long time, abetted by one Mr Shakespeare, no less. OED also lists 'architecture' as a verb, if you prefer that...

I do not. What does that even mean? This is the trouble with just recording the rubbish that people commit to paper (or screen) and then claiming you are a definitive authority.

The OED isn't a definitive authority, it is a descriptive (as opposed to prescriptive) dictionary. People use words other people don't care for. Some people still don't care for the word "ain't", but it's in dictionaries.

https://davidskinner.org/about/the-story-of-aint/
    It claims to be definitive as you can see in your screen grab.
    Fairy nuff... well, it does define what words people use, even the words we don't like.
    I still can't see how you use architecture as a verb.

Just to illustrate how ridiculous 'architected' is, I need to get someone to plumber my boiler as it's mysteriously sprung a leak. We've called the guy who plumbered it before.
    *Plumbed.

HTH
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2022
    If architected is okay, why not plumbered?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    rjsterry said:

Musk needs a hobby or something.

That or just STFU.

That stance is only valid if he recommends voting for a Democrat Presidency if there is a Republican Congress. One might suspect he is in fact wanting full Republican.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    rjsterry said:

English is not consistent in its treatment of verbs, what a shocker.

Coach goes to coaching
    Doctor to doctoring
    Pilot to piloting
    Architect to architecting

But things ending in er tend to get that knocked off.

Waiter to waiting
    Plumber to plumbing
    Designer to designing

Not all though. You don't see a barber barbing.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Isn't he supposed to be busy?
  • rjsterry
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Coach goes to coaching
    Doctor to doctoring
    Pilot to piloting

Waiter to waiting
    Plumber to plumbing
    Designer to designing

Plumbing is the pipework. Architects do lot's of things but we don't architect.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Coach goes to coaching
    Doctor to doctoring
    Pilot to piloting

Waiter to waiting
    Plumber to plumbing
    Designer to designing

Plumbing is the pipework. Architects do lot's of things but we don't architect.
    Software architects do.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    A fairly critical distinction.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Coach goes to coaching
    Doctor to doctoring
    Pilot to piloting

Waiter to waiting
    Plumber to plumbing
    Designer to designing

Engineer to engineing.
  • pangolin
    edited November 2022
    rjsterry said:

A fairly critical distinction.

It is yes. As there are more software architects it would be helpful if you could identify yourselves as "building architects" or "house designers" or something similar.

You are free to architect an appropriate term.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    edited November 2022
    He keps on giving.

This is how the tech god takes a screenshot.

And tells the world he's really just a chilled out entertainer.