Musky

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    edited November 2022
    ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

Twitter has become more akin to a public utility.

The argument hinges on this point really.

I use it a lot (/waste a lot of time) but I don't believe that it is a utility.

Further, if I'm wrong and it is then something will be along very shortly to replace it. There are plenty of ways "companies can communicate with the public" that don't require all the downsides of Twitter.

Meanwhile, Elon can rest easy it's only half his fortune at risk...

What are the downsides of Twitter are that aren't already present on any other social media platform, TV station or newspaper?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    edited November 2022
    Doesn't stop them being downsides.

I've not got much interest in exactly what it how comes next, just that it will. Tiktok is locked down CCP style but it's still kinda fun for nearly all the stuff I use Twitter for. Only reason I don't post links more often is because it doesn't embed so well.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,475
    ddraver said:

I've not got much interest in exactly what it how comes next, just that it will. Tiktok is locked down CCP style but it's still kinda fun for nearly all the stuff I use Twitter for. Only reason I don't post links more often is because it doesn't embed so well.

But Twitter has evolved to be a vaguely unfiltered source of news, alongside all the expected tosh that humans are going to post. You're not going to get one without the other. Ditto Facebook. Of course there will always be arguments about what the limits of 'free speech' are (the 'shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre' example), and Twitter and FB are far from perfect, but both serve a function.

Any global social media site is going to have downsides, just as every form of government does. Because, well, humans.
  • ddraver
    Which is why there will be another one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

Twitters demise would be great for Democrats.
    (as said before).

Just been having a look around the OSINT stuff for Ukraine, and they are actively trying to guard against the distinct possibility of an early demise of Twitter, but worried that their activities aren't easily replicated on other channels.
    But apparently it will all be a great laugh if it all falls.
    Global behemoth potentially collapsing is obviously going to have some negative impacts.

That does not automatically mean it is overall a bad outcome. Given the global behemoth is capable of huge factual distortion (and the owner has a clearly radical agenda) I still see its potential failure as a potentially good outcome.

That does not mean I dismiss people losing their jobs or other negative impacts as meaningless. But that happens all the time when any business folds or shrinks.
    I think you are looking at this far too much through the lens of one man being a d***head.

Innumerable organisations and individuals use Twitter to communicate with the public. Twitter has become more akin to a public utility.
    Surely this makes the point that it's too big and too powerful. Especially to be in the hands of an agenda peddler (of any persuasion). It is a commercial entity with excessive global dominance of communication. I can't mourn the loss of such a thing.

Crikey, this is exactly the sort of thing anti monopoly legislation is designed to do within a nations markets and yet here is a global entity able to exert enormous influence.
    Seeing as I was the first person to use the word monopoly, here is my post where I said the position was globally dominant.

I didn’t say it was a monopoly but drew parallels to monopolies and how they are generally considered undesirable in free markets.

As for the competition thing, of course there will be more competition without a massive player dominating the market.
    If the major competitor in a market ceases to exist, there is less incentive for the others to improve, not more. It means they don't have to try as hard.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    ddraver said:

But what are they?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

Just been having a look around the OSINT stuff for Ukraine, and they are actively trying to guard against the distinct possibility of an early demise of Twitter, but worried that their activities aren't easily replicated on other channels.
    I don'tthink that is a good example as I am convinced that the Ukraine propaganda machine has had an outstanding war. Whilst we will all thoroughy approve it is still false information
    All is fair in love and war.
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

I don'tthink that is a good example as I am convinced that the Ukraine propaganda machine has had an outstanding war. Whilst we will all thoroughy approve it is still false information
    All is fair in love and war.
    Until somebody does something you don't like.
    I'm sure you can come up with some examples yourself.
    Propaganda is as much as a weapon as arms.
    I care not that Ukraine uses propaganda given the stakes - which go beyond the region and the effects of this conflict are global.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,484
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

Twitter has become more akin to a public utility.

The argument hinges on this point really.

I use it a lot (/waste a lot of time) but I don't believe that it is a utility.

Further, if I'm wrong and it is then something will be along very shortly to replace it. There are plenty of ways "companies can communicate with the public" that don't require all the downsides of Twitter.

Meanwhile, Elon can rest easy it's only half his fortune at risk...

What are the downsides of Twitter are that aren't already present on any other social media platform, TV station or newspaper?
    I find it hard to use. There is a log in wall for starters. Plus Twitter threads.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

Global behemoth potentially collapsing is obviously going to have some negative impacts.

That does not automatically mean it is overall a bad outcome. Given the global behemoth is capable of huge factual distortion (and the owner has a clearly radical agenda) I still see its potential failure as a potentially good outcome.

That does not mean I dismiss people losing their jobs or other negative impacts as meaningless. But that happens all the time when any business folds or shrinks.
    I think you are looking at this far too much through the lens of one man being a d***head.

Innumerable organisations and individuals use Twitter to communicate with the public. Twitter has become more akin to a public utility.
    Surely this makes the point that it's too big and too powerful. Especially to be in the hands of an agenda peddler (of any persuasion). It is a commercial entity with excessive global dominance of communication. I can't mourn the loss of such a thing.

Crikey, this is exactly the sort of thing anti monopoly legislation is designed to do within a nations markets and yet here is a global entity able to exert enormous influence.
    Seeing as I was the first person to use the word monopoly, here is my post where I said the position was globally dominant.

I didn’t say it was a monopoly but drew parallels to monopolies and how they are generally considered undesirable in free markets.

As for the competition thing, of course there will be more competition without a massive player dominating the market.
    If the major competitor in a market ceases to exist, there is less incentive for the others to improve, not more. It means they don't have to try as hard.
    If there is one great white in a sea full of minnows, the minnows are solely competing to be the best of the rest.

If anything, I suspect people with eyes on a prize of more market share will be accelerating efforts right now, the total opposite of sitting there assuming they are going to be gifted lots of disgruntled Twitter users.
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

If there is one great white in a sea full of minnows, the minnows are solely competing to be the best of the rest.

If anything, I suspect people with eyes on a prize of more market share will be accelerating efforts right now, the total opposite of sitting there assuming they are going to be gifted lots of disgruntled Twitter users.
    Use of different platforms is not mutually exclusive. Many people are now posting on Mastodon and Twitter for example. Many have been cross posting on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for years. It's not a market where people use only one platform.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

Use of different platforms is not mutually exclusive. Many people are now posting on Mastodon and Twitter for example. Many have been cross posting on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for years. It's not a market where people use only one platform.
    I'm going to agree that I'm unclear what point you're making. Is twitter the dominant player, or are there plenty of platforms?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Who's going to be the first company to sue twitter about the fake verified accounts?
  • pinno

Who's going to be the first company to sue twitter about the fake verified accounts?

Trump?
  • ddraver
  • rjsterry
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

A $44bn gamble...
    Popcorn time.

(as said before).

I'm going to agree that I'm unclear what point you're making. Is twitter the dominant player, or are there plenty of platforms?
    It's certainly one of the leading platforms. My point is that Twitter disappearing (not because of a fault with Twitter, but because someone bought it by mistake) doesn't directly 'free up' users for other platforms.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    Hasn't the Muskrat got more important things to do rather than prattling about on t'internet? Isn't he CEO of several 'big' things? Or is he just a figurehead, one of the friggin' in the riggin' type?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,550
    orraloon said:

Hasn't the Muskrat got more important things to do rather than prattling about on t'internet? Isn't he CEO of several 'big' things? Or is he just a figurehead, one of the friggin' in the riggin' type?

He's CEO of several companies as well as a shareholder of several - in a few cases he is both (e.g. SpaceX, Tesla, Twitter)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

He's CEO of several companies as well as a shareholder of several - in a few cases he is both (e.g. SpaceX, Tesla, Twitter)
    Isn't that ironic don't you think a little too ironic...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,550
    edited November 2022
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Isn't that ironic don't you think a little too ironic...
    Not sure what you mean? If you own a business or a substantial stake in it, its not abnormal to also be one of the senior execs. Expecially as being one tends to give you choice in the other.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022
    The Genius seems to think that Twitter quips will protect him from legal actions.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,484

The Genius seems to think that Twitter quips will protect him from legal actions.

I'm interested in the balance of responsibility on this. Presumably the users are more guilty than Twitter.
  • pinno

What is that picture?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited November 2022
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,119
    So someone paid over $400k for that photo as an NFT. Was it Musk as it makes about as much business sense as his purchase of Twitter.
  • briantrumpet
    t

I'm interested in the balance of responsibility on this. Presumably the users are more guilty than Twitter.

I'd guess that Musk will find it hard to show that he has adequate safeguards against impersonation and remedies for timely redress, if they are requisites for social media companies. You'll not stop people doing it, but I would imagine that there are minimum standards required by law for how companies deal with it when it does happen.
  • pinno
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532

He’s really going to have it make a lot more money than it is
  • briantrumpet

Hence his flailing around, I guess.