Musky

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,918
    The twitter headline is sensationalist though. His issue is "population collapse", whether you believe in that or not is another thing.

Personally, I think there is more than enough of us silly buggers about. Anyway, why worry when we will be superceded by AI sooner rather than later.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Just as soon as it can work out how many fingers a hand should have...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    rjsterry said:

Just as soon as it can work out how many fingers a hand should have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzljfK-PiU
    I don't know, all I'm doing is making an assumption on how rapidly technology has evolved.

There is going to come point when it can start evolving itself. Invent/create a physical form it sees as salient.

That will be bloody fascinating.
  • focuszing723
    LONDON — The U.K. must go "full steam ahead" in cultivating artificial intelligence and warnings about its impact on jobs are overblown, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt argued Wednesday night.

Speaking at a POLITICO Tech UK event in London, Hunt shrugged off recent warnings from Twitter owner Elon Musk about the dangers of AI, and said he "doesn't buy" fears that mass job losses must follow its rise. The West, he said, has to "win the race" to set global standards for the emerging technology.

"Of course, there's the potential for this technology to be used in a bad way. And indeed, we need to be very mindful of that," Hunt said of artificial intelligence.

"But I don't believe it's possible in the world we're in, where there are countries that don't share our values that are investing massively in AI, to opt out of this race. I think we have to win the race — and then be super smart about the way we regulate it so that it is a force for good, enhances the values that we all believe in."
    https://www.politico.eu/article/west-must-win-ai-race-uk-jeremy-hunt-elon-musk/
    Ummmm.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Well, after all, government run projects always go to plan...
    #sarcasm
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

LONDON — The U.K. must go "full steam ahead" in cultivating artificial intelligence and warnings about its impact on jobs are overblown, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt argued Wednesday night.

Speaking at a POLITICO Tech UK event in London, Hunt shrugged off recent warnings from Twitter owner Elon Musk about the dangers of AI, and said he "doesn't buy" fears that mass job losses must follow its rise. The West, he said, has to "win the race" to set global standards for the emerging technology.

"Of course, there's the potential for this technology to be used in a bad way. And indeed, we need to be very mindful of that," Hunt said of artificial intelligence.

"But I don't believe it's possible in the world we're in, where there are countries that don't share our values that are investing massively in AI, to opt out of this race. I think we have to win the race — and then be super smart about the way we regulate it so that it is a force for good, enhances the values that we all believe in."
    https://www.politico.eu/article/west-must-win-ai-race-uk-jeremy-hunt-elon-musk/
    Ummmm.

Given this is the same lot that want social media and messaging apps to provide government access to encrypted communication, I'm not massively confident that they can be super smart about regulating anything.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Just make sh#t up, it's the modern world. An 'interview' with Michael Schumacher... next, one with Ayrton Senna?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65333115
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    orraloon said:

Just make sh#t up, it's the modern world. An 'interview' with Michael Schumacher... next, one with Ayrton Senna?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65333115

That's a journalism problem, not an AI problem.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

orraloon said:

Iz youz a bot or not 'zing?

I thought you'd be in the Sturgeon thread Loon.
    Is Sturgeon a scambot? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    The blue ticks are gone.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

The blue ticks are gone.

From non-payers?
  • kingstongraham

The blue ticks are gone.

From non-payers?
    Correct - apart from a few like Stephen King who haven't paid but twitter says they have.

It's a bit better.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,530
    edited April 2023
  • kingstongraham
    I think the only real change is that people don't have to pay the $8 to impersonate notable accounts any more.

That and it's really easy to block accounts who have paid the $8.
  • TheBigBean

I think the only real change is that people don't have to pay the $8 to impersonate notable accounts any more.

Doesn't it show up some very tight celebs?
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2023

No, paying the $8 does not mean verification, so it's not a question of being tight.

At the moment, unless it's a tesla fan type or right wing media account, I'd be more suspicious of an account with a blue tick.
  • focuszing723
    If you've got a hundred/million followers, what's the point in an icon? It's obvious who they are.

A lot of software is free to use, then you have to pay for it to get the advanced features . I'd say they need to come up with some "killer features (killer apps)", worthy of the cost. A blue tick, meh.

I'm sure this will happen and this is just a start.
  • TheBigBean

No, paying the $8 does not mean verification, so it's not a question of being tight.

At the moment, unless it's a tesla fan type or right wing media account, I'd be more suspicious of an account with a blue tick.
    But doesn't payment involve some sort of verification or can you do it by Bitcoin?

I don't use or even like Twitter, but I think it is an interesting experiment.
  • focuszing723

But doesn't payment involve some sort of verification or can you do it by Bitcoin?

I don't use or even like Twitter, but I think it is an interesting experiment.
    Twitter is great for cutting edge news, especially when searching.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    https://youtu.be/YjL8tsH9oso

Greatness in action right there
  • focuszing723
    OK, so it looks like you require an account now to search twitter. So I doubt I will use it much anymore, Lol.
  • focuszing723
    Bloody Elon Musk:)
  • TheBigBean

OK, so it looks like you require an account now to search twitter. So I doubt I will use it much anymore, Lol.

Even before Musk they were introducing a lot of stuff like that. It used to require you to log in to scroll through a certain number of replies. Reddit has been doing the same.

• focuszing723

Even before Musk they were introducing a lot of stuff like that. It used to require you to log in to scroll through a certain number of replies. Reddit has been doing the same.

I can understand why, bit of a $h1t for selfish reasons, meh.
  • kingstongraham

Pay up
  • focuszing723

Pay up
    It doesn't warrant it for my needs and when things like thing happen a part of me is glad, because it's one less trivial distraction.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023