Musky

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,917
    edited April 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YRgaVomZ4

Why do you care then, use another platform. Ignore twitter.

Perhaps he's just daring to be stupid to unwind.
  • focuszing723

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    I think too many people just talk a load of $h1t for the sake of talking a load of $h1t

Well ain't that the truth. Unfortunately one of those people decided to buy Twitter for a dare.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,527
    Erm. Righto.

And I still use Twitter as, despite a twerp apparently doing all he can to spaff away his $44bn, it serves a useful function, and I live in the hope that he might go away so it can survive.
  • focuszing723

The BBC are supposed to be non-biased. The journalist clearly went in with an agenda.

On the simplest of levels he shouldn't be trying to make a name for himself, just report on the facts.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Genuinely fascinating to have our own Musk bro to study up close...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    ddraver said:

Genuinely fascinating to have our own Musk bro to study up close...

I've been critical of Musk too. He was completely wrong to have a go at Rick Stanton. I said at the time, he shouldn't have ponced up as the "Devil’s Champion" (Halloween) whilst sacking half of twitter. Also, he was already spinning too many plates, buying twitter dejected from his salient goal.

Who am I though? What an incredible player George Best would have been if he lived like a monk...

We are who we are.

• briantrumpet
    Not sure how big a player NPR is, but still seems vaguely significant that a news organisation should leave Twitter.

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023

Not sure how big a player NPR is, but still seems vaguely significant that a news organisation should leave Twitter.

Look it up and tell us. Then find out why Twitter is trying to undermine their credibility.

Don't be lazy with a tweet which supports your bias.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

The BBC are supposed to be non-biased. The journalist clearly went in with an agenda.

On the simplest of levels he shouldn't be trying to make a name for himself, just report on the facts.
    Darren Grimes feels like what would happen if you asked ChatGPT to produce an exasperating dull right wing journalist.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Jezyboy said:

Darren Grimes feels like what would happen if you asked ChatGPT to produce an exasperating dull right wing journalist.
    It was just a quote from one of thousands who tweeted this (top of the list). I don't follow the bloke.
  • focuszing723
    I would like to see the full interview for complete context.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023

The company said NPR journalists, employees and member stations can decide on their own if they want to keep using the platform.

NPR’s chief communications officer, Isabel Lara, said in an email that “NPR journalists and employees will decide on their own if they wish to remain on the platform, same for NPR member stations as they’re independently owned and operated.”

NPR does receive U.S. government funding through grants from federal agencies and departments, along with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The company said it accounts for less than 1 percent of NPR’s annual operating budget.

Twitter’s new labels have often appeared arbitrarily assigned. It tagged NPR with the “state-affiliated” label after Musk participated in a public conversation about NPR on Twitter, and then deleted mention of NPR, but left up BBC, on a web page where it described why they should not get that label.

Since then, it has given NPR, BBC and some other groups a “government-funded” label but hasn’t done the same for many other public media outlets, such as their counterparts in Canada and Australia.

In an interview Tuesday with a BBC technology reporter at Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters, Musk acknowledged that the British news organization “is not thrilled” about the state-affiliated labels and asked the reporter for feedback.

“Our goal was simply to be as truthful and accurate as possible,” Musk said. “So I think we’re adjusting the label to be ‘publicly funded’, which I think is perhaps not too objectionable. We’re trying to be accurate.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/npr-wont-use-twitter-after-being-labeled-government-funded-media
  • rjsterry

Maybe if you had an account you could see for yourself. There's a pretty clear change since Musk took over. The latest example: Nick Fuentes just got Verified status with a Twitter handle including the N word. Look him up if you don't believe me.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    rjsterry said:

Maybe if you had an account you could see for yourself. There's a pretty clear change since Musk took over. The latest example: Nick Fuentes just got Verified status with a Twitter handle including the N word. Look him up if you don't believe me.
    I did consider that, the bloke was just put on the spot and flustered and that's fair enough.

I know I've done that, the old mind goes blank. Us Humans don't have to luxury of being able to AI tap straight to our memory/brain (internet).

Gawd, we're fooked.
  • focuszing723
    A mind tap to the internet. It's going to be evolutionary explosive.
  • focuszing723
    No keyboard to interface with, just instantly on tap.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Jezyboy said:

It was just a quote from one of thousands who tweeted this (top of the list). I don't follow the bloke.
    The thing is (and this where my likening him to ai falls down) Grimey's summary of the conversation doesn't include any lying.

The nature of twitter is that it's a shear flood of effectively disposable, short form information. You don't take it in to recall it months later, so it's perfectly understandable that one could get the feeling that this is turning a little bit more pants, without some hard examples to back it up.

So he's forgetful, that's not the same as lying.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, I appreciate that. As I've mentioned to RJS. It's being put on the spot.

Is it worse/better? I couldn't say myself, I just search it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Worse.
  • focuszing723
    Twitter does serve a purpose for cutting edge news/information. There is a lot of vacant $h1t on it too though and people just re-tweeting the same thing.

All the memes I just find embarrassing. it's quick, cheap, easy and pointless. No substance to it at all.
  • rjsterry
    If you have an account you can then control what you see, thus avoiding the trivial nonsense.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    rjsterry said:

If you have an account you can then control what you see, thus avoiding the trivial nonsense.

Nah, it ain't for me. I don't want an account for the sake of it, I can easily ignore it.
  • kingstongraham

Twitter does serve a purpose for cutting edge news/information.

Yes, it did, when you could tell whether you should trust it. Plus direct information from people you are interested in. For example it's the best way to find out about local gigs direct from the promoters.

Once people stop posting interesting things there, it dies.

And there's some great close pass videos on there to never show your other half.
  • focuszing723

Yes, it did, when you could tell whether you should trust it. Plus direct information from people you are interested in. For example it's the best way to find out about local gigs direct from the promoters.

And there's some great close pass videos on there to never show your other half.
    Clearly it's been rocky but don't you think it will find it's feet? Also, it will become profitable which has to be good for the future, it's survival.

• kingstongraham

Clearly it's been rocky but don't you think it will find it's feet? Also, it will become profitable which has to be good for the future, it's survival.

I can't see how making it a worse experience, less trustworthy, and trying to charge people for no real benefit is likely to work. Also making it less advertiser friendly and getting rid of all PR and developers who know what they're doing might not help.

Still, I'm sure he's working very hard at whatever he's doing. I'm still not entirely convinced he wants it to succeed.
  • briantrumpet

I can't see how making it a worse experience, less trustworthy, and trying to charge people for no real benefit is likely to work. Also making it less advertiser friendly and getting rid of all PR and developers who know what they're doing might not help.

Still, I'm sure he's working very hard at whatever he's doing. I'm still not entirely convinced he wants it to succeed.

I think it's more that he doesn't care particularly about whether it's financially successful, more that he just want to mould it to his model, and 'stuff the experts'. Like Truss, he wants to prove them wrong, but digging a bigger hole each time he makes changes on a whim.

Yes, it's useful for all the reasons you mention, but I'm sure one or two platforms are now ready to take up the slack should it implode, so I wouldn't shed too many tears if it did.
  • rjsterry

I don't see any evidence that he has a plan. It's all just reactive:

The lay-offs.
    The re-hiring.
    The random and quickly reversed changes to functionality.
    The whole Verified fiasco.
    The pointless picking of fights which he then has to back out of.

It's all just randomly pressing buttons because he has no real idea what he has bought or what to do with it.

And all the puerile stuff. No company needs a boss famous for being a d***head.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723

I guess that's it. Try things, break things. I suppose the key is to make it a reliable trustworthy cutting edge information source.

Try and keep the bias balanced, good or bad.

Back to the old yin/yang.

Balance.
  • kingstongraham

I guess that's it. Try things, break things. I suppose the key is to make it a reliable trustworthy cutting edge information source.

Try and keep the bias balanced, good or bad.

Back to the old yin/yang.

Balance.
    He's doing the opposite of this. Except the breaking things.