Musky

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    edited April 2023

Twitter does serve a purpose for cutting edge news/information.

Yes, it did, when you could tell whether you should trust it. Plus direct information from people you are interested in. For example it's the best way to find out about local gigs direct from the promoters.

Once people stop posting interesting things there, it dies.

And there's some great close pass videos on there to never show your other half.
    Clearly it's been rocky but don't you think it will find it's feet? Also, it will become profitable which has to be good for the future, it's survival.

I can't see how making it a worse experience, less trustworthy, and trying to charge people for no real benefit is likely to work. Also making it less advertiser friendly and getting rid of all PR and developers who know what they're doing might not help.

Still, I'm sure he's working very hard at whatever he's doing. I'm still not entirely convinced he wants it to succeed.
    I guess that's it. Try things, break things. I suppose the key is to make it a reliable trustworthy cutting edge information source.

Try and keep the bias balanced, good or bad.

Back to the old yin/yang.

Balance.
    He's doing the opposite of this. Except the breaking things.

We're still quoting it though Kingston. World leaders are still tweeting on it.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Yeah, I appreciate that. As I've mentioned to RJS. It's being put on the spot.

Is it worse/better? I couldn't say myself, I just search it.

Certainly given the extreme layoffs, I cannot discern a significant difference, but that's as someone who doesn't really use it aside from when it's linked on here.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Yes, it did, when you could tell whether you should trust it. Plus direct information from people you are interested in. For example it's the best way to find out about local gigs direct from the promoters.

And there's some great close pass videos on there to never show your other half.
    Clearly it's been rocky but don't you think it will find it's feet? Also, it will become profitable which has to be good for the future, it's survival.

I can't see how making it a worse experience, less trustworthy, and trying to charge people for no real benefit is likely to work. Also making it less advertiser friendly and getting rid of all PR and developers who know what they're doing might not help.

Still, I'm sure he's working very hard at whatever he's doing. I'm still not entirely convinced he wants it to succeed.
    I guess that's it. Try things, break things. I suppose the key is to make it a reliable trustworthy cutting edge information source.

Balance.

Of course they are. They were doing that before Musk had even considered buying it. That's all down to the previous owners and what they developed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Balance.
    'It' was never the source of anything: it just provided the platform. The individuals and organisations that posted were the sources/publishers. There was a degree of verification that posters were who they purported to be but Musk has destroyed that. There are blue ticks everywhere and none of them can be relied upon.

I can't help thinking that by not using the app you are missing something. The Idea is that you build up a list of people you want to hear from and the algorithm makes further suggestions. You can tailor your timeline to be as varied or as monotonous as you want. If you want to read a variety of viewpoints you need to do the work to find which people can provide that, not rely on Musk's warped view of 'balance'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    The company said NPR journalists, employees and member stations can decide on their own if they want to keep using the platform.

NPR’s chief communications officer, Isabel Lara, said in an email that “NPR journalists and employees will decide on their own if they wish to remain on the platform, same for NPR member stations as they’re independently owned and operated.”

NPR does receive U.S. government funding through grants from federal agencies and departments, along with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The company said it accounts for less than 1 percent of NPR’s annual operating budget.

Twitter’s new labels have often appeared arbitrarily assigned. It tagged NPR with the “state-affiliated” label after Musk participated in a public conversation about NPR on Twitter, and then deleted mention of NPR, but left up BBC, on a web page where it described why they should not get that label.

Since then, it has given NPR, BBC and some other groups a “government-funded” label but hasn’t done the same for many other public media outlets, such as their counterparts in Canada and Australia.

In an interview Tuesday with a BBC technology reporter at Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters, Musk acknowledged that the British news organization “is not thrilled” about the state-affiliated labels and asked the reporter for feedback.

“Our goal was simply to be as truthful and accurate as possible,” Musk said. “So I think we’re adjusting the label to be ‘publicly funded’, which I think is perhaps not too objectionable. We’re trying to be accurate.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/npr-wont-use-twitter-after-being-labeled-government-funded-media

• focuszing723
    Our goal was simply to be as truthful and accurate as possible,” Musk said. “So I think we’re adjusting the label to be ‘publicly funded’, which I think is perhaps not too objectionable. We’re trying to be accurate.”

I will repeat that for you, because you've already ignored it once.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,527

Our goal was simply to be as truthful and accurate as possible,” Musk said. “So I think we’re adjusting the label to be ‘publicly funded’, which I think is perhaps not too objectionable. We’re trying to be accurate.”

Context.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

Los Angeles entrepreneur Elon Musk has built a multibillion-dollar fortune running companies that make electric cars, sell solar panels and launch rockets into space.

And he’s built those companies with the help of billions in government subsidies.

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot start-ups.
  • focuszing723

Context.

Los Angeles entrepreneur Elon Musk has built a multibillion-dollar fortune running companies that make electric cars, sell solar panels and launch rockets into space.

And he’s built those companies with the help of billions in government subsidies.

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot start-ups.
    He's not stopping them using twitter though is he. He's just making people aware they are publicly funded. Pretty important when they reporting news/information, especially when politics are involved.

Don't you agree Brian?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Balance.

That's the least useful thing on twitter
  • focuszing723
    I giveup Brian. I won't respond when you take things out of context again, just chalk it up as your bias. You can't even be bothered to find out the full facts.

You hear what you want to.
  • rjsterry
    edited April 2023

The company said NPR journalists, employees and member stations can decide on their own if they want to keep using the platform.

NPR’s chief communications officer, Isabel Lara, said in an email that “NPR journalists and employees will decide on their own if they wish to remain on the platform, same for NPR member stations as they’re independently owned and operated.”

NPR does receive U.S. government funding through grants from federal agencies and departments, along with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The company said it accounts for less than 1 percent of NPR’s annual operating budget.

Twitter’s new labels have often appeared arbitrarily assigned. It tagged NPR with the “state-affiliated” label after Musk participated in a public conversation about NPR on Twitter, and then deleted mention of NPR, but left up BBC, on a web page where it described why they should not get that label.

Since then, it has given NPR, BBC and some other groups a “government-funded” label but hasn’t done the same for many other public media outlets, such as their counterparts in Canada and Australia.

In an interview Tuesday with a BBC technology reporter at Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters, Musk acknowledged that the British news organization “is not thrilled” about the state-affiliated labels and asked the reporter for feedback.

“Our goal was simply to be as truthful and accurate as possible,” Musk said. “So I think we’re adjusting the label to be ‘publicly funded’, which I think is perhaps not too objectionable. We’re trying to be accurate.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/npr-wont-use-twitter-after-being-labeled-government-funded-media

So much for reliable and trustworthy. Why would you label these two particular organisations as government funded when a moment's enquiry would tell you that it was untrue?

By the way, the 'context' makes Musk look like a sore loser as well as a liar.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Context.

He's not stopping them using twitter though is he. He's just making people aware they are publicly funded. Pretty important when they reporting news/information, especially when politics are involved.

Don't you agree Brian?

He's not stopping them, of course, but they are choosing not to associate themselves with a product they no longer value nor trust. He's just making up stuff on a whim to suit his agenda - which is fine, as it's a private company - but if businesses and individuals don't want to use the platform, because he's a jerk (again, which he's perfectly entitled to be), then the platform will lose its appeal and die. And that's fine too. I won't shed a tear.

The context was that he seems to have a thing about publicly funded organisations, which some of his are too, if he wants to use that criterion as a badge. If he wanted to be even-handed, he'd also invent badges for dark-money-funded ones too. But that might not fit his agenda.
  • focuszing723

Context.

Don't you agree Brian?

He's not stopping them, of course, but they are choosing not to associate themselves with a product they no longer value nor trust. He's just making up stuff on a whim to suit his agenda - which is fine, as it's a private company - but if businesses and individuals don't want to use the platform, because he's a jerk (again, which he's perfectly entitled to be), then the platform will lose its appeal and die. And that's fine too. I won't shed a tear.

The context was that he seems to have a thing about publicly funded organisations, which some of his are too, if he wants to use that criterion as a badge. If he wanted to be even-handed, he'd also invent badges for dark-money-funded ones too. But that might not fit his agenda.
    La la la la, nope not listening.
  • briantrumpet

Context.

Don't you agree Brian?

Didn't expect you to, strangely enough.
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

So much for reliable and trustworthy. Why would you label these two particular organisations as government funded when a moment's enquiry would tell you that it was untrue?

By the way, the 'context' makes Musk look like a sore loser as well as a liar.

• rjsterry
    edited April 2023
    🤣 Oh please. You're telling me that in their goal to be as truthful and accurate nobody at Twitter could spare 30 seconds to check how NPR and the BBC are funded?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    Messing around with all this is such a waste of time when he has other important plates to spin. It's always going to be a battle to appease the left and right. Not to mention humanity in general.

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

🤣 Oh please. You're telling me that in their goal to be as truthful and accurate nobody at Twitter could spare 30 seconds to check how NPR and the BBC are funded?

I'm sure it was 'just a mistake' too when he said he'd step down as Twitter CEO if he lost the poll he set up... do you think there might be an observable pattern emerging?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Context.

Don't you agree Brian?

If there’s anything the rest of us can agree on…
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Messing around with all this is such a waste of time when he has other important plates to spin. It's always going to be a battle to appease the left and right. Not to mention humanity in general.

Lazy obfuscation.

He has more than enough time to prioritise his own agenda ideals for Twitter but not for things that don’t fit his personal beliefs.
  • Jezyboy

If he's as good as a manager as you say seem to think he is, he'll have been able to set up his other plates well enough that they don't need significant amounts of his attention.
  • Jezyboy
    If labelling the funding sources for everything is important, then presumably he's gonna start pointing out that all the tech in space x is built on decades of heavy federal funding...
  • rjsterry

What on earth makes you think he is interested in Twitter having some sort of political balance?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    I think the point is which is reflected in this bias thread (I'm the only correct one in it). With regards a company who deal with news and information it should be known they are publicly funded, their bias opinion could sway voters as an example. SpaceX make rockets, Telsa cars.

I will leave you all now hoping sense prevails and you are all enlightened to greatness.

To the moon and beyond!
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

What on earth makes you think he is interested in Twitter having some sort of political balance?

I think it's a non-benign manifestation of both-sidesism... as seen in Brexit, vaccines, climate-change, Trumpism: the apparent 'need', no matter how outlandish the counter-arguments to established science/norms/facts are, to take the counter-arguments seriously and continually 'balance' coverage.

I realise that 'established' stuff must be open to question/chalenge, but this desire to constantly give airtime to disproven nutjobs in the name of 'balance' is misplaced at best. I think Musk knows what he's doing though, and it's not a careless 'mistake': he has an agenda that is revealed by what he spouts on Twitter.
  • rjsterry

I think the point is which is reflected in this bias thread (I'm the only correct one in it). With regards a company who deal with news and information it should be known they are publicly funded, their bias opinion could sway voters as an example. SpaceX make rockets, Telsa cars.

I will leave you all now hoping sense prevails and you are all enlightened to greatness.

To the moon and beyond!

Weird how he chose to inaccurately label just these two organisations and none of the other publicly funded news organisations, in the name of accuracy.

Almost like that's not why he did it at all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    From your own quote FZ:

Describing an organisation that receives under 1% of its funding that way as "Government funded" seems disingenuous at best.

Why doesn't Musky feel it's relevant to mention where the other 99% comes from?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono