Musky

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    edited April 2023

British billionaire Sir Richard Branson's rocket company Virgin Orbit has filed for bankruptcy in the US after failing to secure new investment.

The satellite launch company halted operations weeks ago but it hopes to find a buyer for the business.

The company, based in California, announced last week that it would cut 85% of its 750-strong workforce.

Earlier this year, a Virgin Orbit rocket failed to complete its first-ever satellite launch from UK soil.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65172594

It ain't easy!

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    rjsterry said:

He's clearly intelligent, but millions of people are too. I'd say his success comes from hard work, a first principles mindset and the ability to take risks 99.99% of people would run a mile from.

Three years sleeping on the shop floor (Tesla M-3), nobody bleeds for the King in their castle. Both SpaceX and Tesla have been on the brink.

I really don't get the adoration of this bit. 1. Pretty much all business owners put a lot on the line, so that's nothing special. It's unlikely you will succeed if you are not committed. 2. The idea that spending every waking hour on something will lead to a better outcome than taking time away to reflect is misguided at best. Lack of reflection leads to stupidity that is on show daily.
    I think there’s an element of sequacity on display.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023

Yeah isn’t starlink good for that?

If you are after reliable, then beaming it from space isn't the best option, from what I've read. It is also 2-3 times more expensive than other options, with download limits.

I wouldn't mind crappy Internet if we actually did live somewhere remote, but 12 miles from the parliament building? How can that be remote?

Anyway, we have fttp now as well. But still no phone signal, despite living at the top of a hill and being able to see as far as Fife.
    My boss got it in lockdown. Was a bit tricky to bed in but since then it's been really great apparently. He's like you; gas and broadband doesn't come out his way.
    I have Starlink now, since January. It is 10x faster than my previous broadband service, and so far has been faultlessly reliable.

More expensive, but no data limits.
    Only fair seeming this thread is so biased.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I don't have a Tesla or use Starlink, so Twitter is the first thing I use that he is in charge of. It doesn't make me very likely to trust anything he does. It's just shoddy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Twitter now preventing retweets and likes for any tweet including a substack link.

Love how Musk fancies himself against the world. Probably thinks he can control the tides as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,524
    rjsterry said:

Twitter now preventing retweets and likes for any tweet including a substack link.

Love how Musk fancies himself against the world. Probably thinks he can control the tides as well.

He seems to be doing everything he can to make Twitter less attractive for the people who provide content that attracts users.
  • briantrumpet
    I'd blocked Musk on Twitter, but just had a look because of the falling out between him and Taibbi over the 'Twitter Files'. Jeez, his feed is like a stream of consciousness of a spoilt 13-year-old. Anyone thinking he's a genius of any description needs to give themselves a good talking to: the evidence to the contrary is there in plain sight.
  • focuszing723

If you are after reliable, then beaming it from space isn't the best option, from what I've read. It is also 2-3 times more expensive than other options, with download limits.

I wouldn't mind crappy Internet if we actually did live somewhere remote, but 12 miles from the parliament building? How can that be remote?

Anyway, we have fttp now as well. But still no phone signal, despite living at the top of a hill and being able to see as far as Fife.
    My boss got it in lockdown. Was a bit tricky to bed in but since then it's been really great apparently. He's like you; gas and broadband doesn't come out his way.
    I have Starlink now, since January. It is 10x faster than my previous broadband service, and so far has been faultlessly reliable.

Yes, exactly Focuszing. I still don't get why people who are agnostic towards genius/greatness keep viewing/quoting the resource.
  • kingstongraham

Yes, exactly Focuszing. I still don't get why people who are agnostic towards genius/greatness keep viewing/quoting the resource.
    What Musk products do you use on a regular basis yourself?
  • focuszing723
    Directly and indirectly all of them I'm pretty sure, except obviously Neuralink.

• focuszing723

Rockets?
  • focuszing723

Rockets?
    Well, a site could be using Starlink.
  • focuszing723

Rockets?
    Well, a site could be using Starlink.
    Ah, I see.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Not a rhetorical question - is Starlink profitable or is it subsidised by musk/Tesla?
  • focuszing723

Not a rhetorical question - is Starlink profitable or is it subsidised by musk/Tesla?

I would imagine it can't be profitable yet...A fair amount of potential though low the latency (good for quick City transactions).
  • focuszing723
    Starlink, SpaceX’s satellite-based internet service, recorded its first quarter of positive cash flow in 2022 and is on track to turn a profit this year, said SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell.

Shotwell made the comments while speaking at the FAA’s annual Commercial Space Transportation conference in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, although she didn’t specify which quarter was profitable for the company.

“This year, Starlink will make money. We actually had a cash flow positive quarter last year,” Shotwell said.
    https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/02/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    edited April 2023
    Yikes. First quarter ever positive cash flow?!

Is it scalable at this point or does it still need big capex to grow?
  • kingstongraham

Directly and indirectly all of them I'm pretty sure, except obviously Neuralink.

Which directly?
  • briantrumpet
    Haha, re my "13-year-old" comment. Just as well he hasn't got any businesses to run.

• focuszing723
    edited April 2023

Which directly?
    Yeah Focuszing, what the hell does that mean?
  • focuszing723

Which directly?
    The products which aren't indirect, obviously.

Idiot!
  • kingstongraham

Which directly?

Idiot!
    I'll ask the question in a more easily understood way.

Which Musk products do you personally use directly?
  • focuszing723

Which directly?

Idiot!

The direct ones.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited April 2023
    Do you even have a Twitter account?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    No I don't. I think too many people just talk a load of $h1t for the sake of talking a load of $h1t. I do use it for searches though and finding cutting edge information on a subject.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Iz youz a bot or not 'zing?
  • focuszing723
    orraloon said:

Iz youz a bot or not 'zing?

I thought you'd be in the Sturgeon thread Loon.
  • kingstongraham

Which directly?

Idiot!

The direct ones.
    So is that none?
  • focuszing723

Which directly?

Idiot!

The direct ones.
    So is that none?
    Who do you think you are? Fiona Bruce
  • briantrumpet
    Is this your genius guy, Zing?

I think he might have regressed to 12 years old now.