Musky

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Advertising/Marketing trade press report that advertisers are leaving in droves. Rather than fixing the problem Musk justs keeps cutting costs to keep up with declining revenues
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Musk has offered the guy his job back. Tweeted this as part of it:

I think he's accidentally summed up Twitter with that last line.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Nice illustration of the effectiveness of European labour laws right here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Nice illustration of the effectiveness of European labour laws right here.

And apparently the deal that twitter did when they bought his company. He wants to be paid the purchase price as salary so he pays what he considers the appropriate level of tax, but if they sack him, it all becomes due immediately. Seems someone told Elon it was going to cost him tens of millions.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Advertising/Marketing trade press report that advertisers are leaving in droves. Rather than fixing the problem Musk justs keeps cutting costs to keep up with declining revenues

No he's just engaging in austerity
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    pangolin said:

I think he's accidentally summed up Twitter with that last line.

That's incredulous.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Easiest way to view the whole Musk Twitter story - Buyer's remorse.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023
    Twitter have announced they will be removing blue checkmarks from everyone unless they are paid for from April 1st.

Also, they've rolled out a new feature on Twitter Blue which is that you can now pay for the blue checkmark, but not have it displayed, to hide your shame.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522
    In light of Musk withdrawing the properly verified account blue tick...

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

The way I read it is he thinks people should pay to use his platform. It's not an unreasonable position in itself.
    But he is leveraging FOMO and assuming Twitter is too big and important to leave. Ultimately people need to make their minds up. Pay the narcissist or move elsewhere.
    I assume there legitimately are a number of Monica Lewinskys in the world.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

The way I read it is he thinks people should pay to use his platform. It's not an unreasonable position in itself.
    But he is leveraging FOMO and assuming Twitter is too big and important to leave. Ultimately people need to make their minds up. Pay the narcissist or move elsewhere.
    Paying the narcissist will do nothing to provide assurance that anyone is who they say they are. Nor will leaving.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Paying the narcissist will do nothing to provide assurance that anyone is who they say they are. Nor will leaving.
    The platform is too big to fail is what Musk is relying on whilst leveraging the functionality to fit his personal agenda at detriment to users.

If you don’t like it leave, it’s a private company behaving appallingly. I get that it’s been a historically popular tool but nothing foreseeable is going to turn the current trajectory around.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    It’s not doing anything to generate new customers, is it? I didn’t sign up for free. What chance now?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

morstar said:

The platform is too big to fail is what Musk is relying on whilst leveraging the functionality to fit his personal agenda at detriment to users.

If you don’t like it leave, it’s a private company behaving appallingly. I get that it’s been a historically popular tool but nothing foreseeable is going to turn the current trajectory around.
    Maybe at some point he'll try and make people pay for a gold tick that actually involves some level of guarantee that the content provider is who they say they are. It's the opposite of all other platforms who pay content providers.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Is it just that he's really trying to test the hypothesis that there's no such thing as bad publicity?

He's certainly got his name in the papers more than Jack whatsisname.

• briantrumpet
    I'm not sure that his business model is stacking up. He's going all for the Twitter Blue, thinking millions of people will pay for it if he keeps moving the goalposts.

• morstar
    Stupid question, but how come Facebook is making millions (billions maybe) and Twitter isn’t? Facebook isn’t charging.

Seems to me Twitter is a more active platform.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

Stupid question, but how come Facebook is making millions (billions maybe) and Twitter isn’t? Facebook isn’t charging.

Both make their money through advertising, but Facebook (or Meta including Whatsapp and Instagram) is a much bigger deal that twitter - it has 2bn users, twitter only 400m.

It's just better at putting targeted ads in front of you. Also twitter is actively driving away advertisers and making their platform more toxic.

• morstar

morstar said:

Both make their money through advertising, but Facebook (or Meta including Whatsapp and Instagram) is a much bigger deal that twitter - it has 2bn users, twitter only 400m.

It's just better at putting targeted ads in front of you. Also twitter is actively driving away advertisers and making their platform more toxic.

Thanks for info. I was aware of the final point though, just hadn’t appreciated the numbers behind it.

It’s interesting that FB is widely dismissed as the oldies platform and yet dwarfs Twitter.

I personally don’t like Twitter and dropped it a decade ago but it surprises me how much it lags behind FB. It seems to be the most referenced platform.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Thanks for info. I was aware of the final point though, just hadn’t appreciated the numbers behind it.

It’s interesting that FB is widely dismissed as the oldies platform and yet dwarfs Twitter.

I personally don’t like Twitter and dropped it a decade ago but it surprises me how much it lags behind FB. It seems to be the most referenced platform.
    Journos love it, so a lot of stories break there first.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

Journos love it, so a lot of stories break there first.
    I think that’s the mismatch in referencing vs absolute user count.

Over my head how it became liked. It’s a barrage of noise in my experience that you have to dig in to get the context and then wish you didn’t.
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023
    morstar said:

Over my head how it became liked. It’s a barrage of noise in my experience that you have to dig in to get the context and then wish you didn’t.

If you choose a limited number of accounts to follow, you get curated updates on what you are interested in. Also, if you block any accounts that advertise on there, you get very few adverts.

If you follow lots of people or any news sites, you'll get an avalanche of randomness.

Now with the "For You" tab, it has become worse, and about to get even worse. He is trying to make it impossible to ignore the tsunami of bile that is always there if you choose to look at it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I'm not sure that his business model is stacking up. He's going all for the Twitter Blue, thinking millions of people will pay for it if he keeps moving the goalposts.

I'm surprised that a genius like Musk can be outwitted by the mere mortals that create the AI bots to the extent he thinks this is the only realistic solution. Whisper it quietly but I think he might not actually be the tech genius some would have us believe.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

I'm surprised that a genius like Musk can be outwitted by the mere mortals that create the AI bots to the extent he thinks this is the only realistic solution. Whisper it quietly but I think he might not actually be the tech genius some would have us believe.
    This is a positive step for the user experience, making the "For You" tab purely contain people who have paid him means that a) it is not even vaguely interesting for content, and the "Following" tab becomes the default again (until he disables that) and b) it provides a useful list of accounts to block.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    I deleted my Twitter account a few years ago, I never really got into using it and feel much the same about it as Morstar's comments above. I'm getting fed up with Instagram and Facebook with their suggestions of things I might like so dread to think how bad it would be on Twitter.
  • briantrumpet
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

I deleted my Twitter account a few years ago, I never really got into using it and feel much the same about it as Morstar's comments above. I'm getting fed up with Instagram and Facebook with their suggestions of things I might like so dread to think how bad it would be on Twitter.

I've more or less given up on Instagram, as it seems to be a cut-down version of Facebook, and doesn't add anything.

For now I still use Twitter - not that I really tweet anything, but it's quite fun to see how reactions to news unfold (though that's getting less fun now that Musk seems to be pushing trolly stuff into feeds). I've got a Post.news account in case Twitter implodes.

Facebook is getting more annoying on phone browsers, managing to get round the roadblocks for intrusive stuff, but Chrome on PC with AdGuard leaves it reasonably clean, roughly in 9:1 ratio of my stuff to promoted twaddle.

I don't use any of their own apps, as I assume they are all designed to suck up user info/data and push stuff to you. Browsers all the way.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Pross said:

I've more or less given up on Instagram, as it seems to be a cut-down version of Facebook, and doesn't add anything.

For now I still use Twitter - not that I really tweet anything, but it's quite fun to see how reactions to news unfold (though that's getting less fun now that Musk seems to be pushing trolly stuff into feeds). I've got a Post.news account in case Twitter implodes.

Facebook is getting more annoying on phone browsers, managing to get round the roadblocks for intrusive stuff, but Chrome on PC with AdGuard leaves it reasonably clean, roughly in 9:1 ratio of my stuff to promoted twaddle.

I don't use any of their own apps, as I assume they are all designed to suck up user info/data and push stuff to you. Browsers all the way.
    When you are logged in they will be hoovering up your data and this is a good thing. You will see the same number of ads but they will now be for flights Bristol to Paris and classical music concerts and not for old lady incontinence pants.

If everybody went down your route we would be paying subscriptions for everything.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    Question about Twitter. If someone has 100k followers on twitter, who is the net beneficiary?

Is it Twitter, because lots of people are using it to follow this person or is the person who can simultaneously write to 100k people?

If you think it is the latter then making them pay seems sensible.