Musky

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    morstar said:

Musk is quite evidently an odious, narcissistic character.
    I find the idolisation when his flaws are so apparent weird.

One simple example: call the diver involved in that Thai cave rescue a "pedo". The Muskrat is just a (very enriched) pr1ck.
  • morstar said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

By deduction, are we idolising Hitler for pushing rocket science forwards and providing the foundation for modern space flight?

Don't forget computers too, with the Enigma.

I obviously take your idolise with a pinch of salt. The by-product of rapid evolution to maintain supremacy.
    Maintain supremacy over what?
    The by-product of rapid evolution has resource implications.
    The human race is not 'supreme'. The human race has become parasitical. We are no better than Leeches.
    An intelligent parasite doesn't kill it's host. We're not collectively intelligent enough to preserve our host.

Musk should spend his money on anthropological or environmental concerns.
    He can fcuk off to Mars for all I care. In fact, please fcuk off to Mars Musky.
    I get your passionate response Pinno and to be serious, yeah sure it would be great to see Humanity calm it down and live for needs not wants. However...

You wouldn't be doing what you're doing right now having the incredible experience of being able to communicate with people around the World without people like Musk.

If all of humanity thought within confined limits we would be no way near as evolved with the positives and negatives with it.

What happens if an asteroid happens to be in Earths path? It won't matter how green Humanity has become.

Look at Starlink being able to provide the internet to anywhere in the world including someone in a boat on the sea. Reusable rockets has provided that.

Porsche, great cars. Turbo/GT3 RS 993, wow! Completely irrelevant with regards getting someone from A to B in a sustainable environmental way. Look at the technology/safety which has filtered down through Motorsport though.

No, Humanity needs people like Musk to push passed what is considered possible. Do we want everyone to be like that on Earth? No, we want them to be 912s.

I have made your key point myself many times.

However, you need to recognise that these people who drive change are often seriously flawed people. Extreme at both ends.

Musk is quite evidently an odious, narcissistic character.
    I find the idolisation when his flaws are so apparent weird.
    Reality/Humanity is weird full stop.

And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088

what about it? smashed it in 2 years.

what other animal could do that?

Pffft. At astronomical cost - your recurring complaints about the trains are largely a result of the economic impact of the lockdowns to pick one tiny example.

And we haven't smashed it - it's still very much out and about causing trouble and now evades immunity. And it's a puppy compared with other pathogens.

We're all just trying to pass on our DNA and for all our cleverness we've only been around for a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, so it's a bit early to be claiming superiority over species that have survived multiple mass extinctions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521
    Fungus too. It's everywhere.

I've got this on the to-be-read pile - apparently it's a brilliant book.

• rjsterry

Fungus too. It's everywhere.

I've got this on the to-be-read pile - apparently it's a brilliant book.

Oh hell yes! And fungus has cracked mind control of animals.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Given what evolved intelligence on Earth has achieved in such a sort period of time 4.3bn/Universe 13.7bn years . There must already be Intelligence that can evolve at a rapid rate in terms of speed/capacity and interplanetary travel which comes with it.

It doesn't explain the Fermi paradox though, why haven't we observed this.

Fascinating. I still keep thinking about the observations from the Nimitz from credible sources.
  • briantrumpet
    Incidentally, I've a young friend who's started a biophysics PhD in Amsterdam on how bacteria 'predict the future'... but do they know I plan to be eating cake in Dawlish this afternoon? Ha... not that clever then...

Oh, hang on, I've just told them. Idiot.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,635
    rjsterry said:

Pffft. At astronomical cost - your recurring complaints about the trains are largely a result of the economic impact of the lockdowns to pick one tiny example.

And we haven't smashed it - it's still very much out and about causing trouble and now evades immunity. And it's a puppy compared with other pathogens.

We're all just trying to pass on our DNA and for all our cleverness we've only been around for a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, so it's a bit early to be claiming superiority over species that have survived multiple mass extinctions.
    We can play god with any other species.
  • Perhaps an evolved species is our God. Created our reality.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

We can play god with any other species.
    What does that even mean? We can hunt something to extinction? Given that all the other hominin species are extinct I'm not sure that is quite the superpower you suggest. The relative lack of diversity also tells us that we were almost wiped out at one point.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If you put tackling covid against the fact we are potentially on track to make the planet uninhabitable in very short order…

It’s deckchairs on the titanic stuff.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,909
    edited February 2023
    morstar said:

If you put tackling covid against the fact we are potentially on track to make the planet uninhabitable in very short order…

We will just make Earth uninhabitable for Humans for a period. Earth will be fine and life will evolve again. It might not be after an asteroid strike though.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023
    We've dealt with a few of those as a planet. Something will prevail.
    https://www.evogeneao.com/en/learn/tree-of-life
    We're just the tiniest bit at the very end where we split from chimps.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    I think I might pop over to the things that cheer me up thread now.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

We will just make Earth uninhabitable for Humans for a period. Earth will be fine and life will evolve again. It might not be after an asteroid strike though.
    So, let’s work on the theory that the planet is going to experience a catastrophic event that will wipe out most life.

Let’s suppose Musk has us living on Mars.

What about when our solar system gets wiped?

What about when our galaxy gets wiped?

What about when the Universe gets wiped?

Timescales are enormous but all these eventualities are a given.

How much effort should we put into pursuit of denying the inevitability of death?

• rjsterry

Come back, we haven't to ponder the futility of existence in an unmeasurable void yet!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Come back, we haven't to ponder the futility of existence in an unmeasurable void yet!

I'm planning on being eaten by worms or turned into fungus or bacterial shït when I die, if that cheers you up.
  • rjsterry
    morstar said:

morstar said:

So, let’s work on the theory that the planet is going to experience a catastrophic event that will wipe out most life.

How much effort should we put into pursuit of denying the inevitability of death?

I'm not sure it's worth worrying about when we have more immediate problems.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar said:

morstar said:

Getting intelligent life multi planetary is an achievable goal though. The other questions can be answered with the evolution of intelligence in whatever form. At least it will exist to try though, just the same as other living organisms have a chance to let their DNA continue on Earth.

I guess that's up to pioneers and the rest of humanity to buy into it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

rjsterry said:

I'm planning on being eaten by worms or turned into fungus or bacterial shït when I die, if that cheers you up.
    I'll be ashes. Well, when the machine that grinds up the remains has been fixed after breaking down when my titanium bits get jammed in it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

morstar said:

Current risk is about once every 66 million years.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I'll be ashes. Well, when the machine that grinds up the remains has been fixed after breaking down when my titanium bits get jammed in it.

The undertakers asked me whether I wanted my mum's hip after she'd been bruléed, so they obviously put on gloves and take out the lumpy bits, so no need to worry about the machine. Knowing that, perhaps the ultimate Lego build would be one that pulps you after you're gone.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited February 2023
    pinno said:

morstar said:

I'd guess pretty much the same odds for Mars. What's plan C for that eventuality?
    PS - When did it last happen?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    65mya.
    So we are due, plus or minus a thousand millennia.

It's really tricky to get your head around the timescales.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

65mya.

So should we party on before it happens or just not GAF as it's not a concern?
    I'm happy either way tbh. Mars doesn't seem as appealing I must say.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno said:

morstar said:

OK, until then, what about a Zombie apocalypse?
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

morstar said:

Is that a cocktail? If so, yes please.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

65mya.

So should we party on before it happens or just not GAF as it's not a concern?
    I'm happy either way tbh. Mars doesn't seem as appealing I must say.
    Well, we are actively looking for asteroids that are a threat and we've tested a way of diverting the same, so I think we are planning to see this one through.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    I’ll go down the NGAF route then. Thanks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno

pinno said:

morstar said:

Fair enough. You should have said that in the first place.