Musky

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,523
    Given that it is in everybody's interest, I think the gummant should provide grants towards the purchase of telescopes.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,199
    Another test to see if this either displays like Twitter does, or if you can read it without being signed up to Post.news.

https://post.news/article/2LxhxkCQncK35IJJIlL1l2luk7A

A Tesla driver was killed and a passenger was critically injured Saturday when the car plowed into a fire truck that was parked on a Northern California freeway to shield a crew clearing another accident, fire officials said.

Four firefighters who were in the truck when it was struck on Interstate 680 were treated for minor injuries, said Tracie Dutter, assistant chief of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

The driver was declared dead at the scene, Dutter said. The car needed to be cut open to remove the passenger, who was taken to the hospital.

Photos showed the front end of the car was crushed and the $1.4 million ladder truck was damaged.

California Highway Patrol Officer Adam Lane said it was not clear whether the driver may have been intoxicated or whether the Tesla Model S was operating with automation or driving assistance features.
  • briantrumpet
    No, it obviously doesn't display.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited February 2023
    You're looking for any news story in the World negative about Telsa. Each case is bound to hit the news due to the fascination of autonomous driving. Right, how may accidents are there World wide due to feckless Humans. Drunk, drugs, not paying attention, fighting, emotional, medical issue...what are the comparative stats for when Tesla’s (other manufacturers too, driver aids) have stepped in and avoid an accident?

Also, the Tesla's software can be firmware updated and evolved to eradicate these incidents. Humans will always be in the same fallible league, born to make mistakes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,874

You're looking for any news story in the World negative about Telsa. Each case is bound to hit the news due to the fascination of autonomous driving. Right, how may accidents are there World wide due to feckless Humans. Drunk, drugs, not paying attention, fighting, emotional, medical issue...what are the comparative stats for when Tesla’s (other manufacturers too, driver aids) have stepped in and avoid an accident?

Also, the Tesla's software can be firmware updated and evolved to eradicate these incidents. Humans will always be in the same fallible league, born to make mistakes.

Ask yourself who is writing the software and whether they are infallible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

It can be corrected, evolved and updated. Symbian based phones were very basic, calls and texts. Now you can use the Internet (online memory) watch/record videos, navigate, play games...Yes Humans program them, but the code can be evolved and won't be impacted with the issues raised.

You know and trust what you just typed magically appeard on this site for anybody around the World to view. You Diss technology whilst using it to do it.
  • briantrumpet

When people make grand claims about stuff, its not surprising when others question the grand claims. Especially if people get killed in the process.

I've honestly no idea if the software is fallible, but of course the news caught my eye, especially (IIRC) there was a question mark over how the self-driving mode dealt with emergency vehicles.

IRC.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-cars-crashes-emergency-vehicles/

NHTSA began its inquiry in August of last year after a string of crashes since 2018 in which Teslas using the company's Autopilot or Traffic Aware Cruise Control systems hit vehicles at scenes where first responders used flashing lights, flares, an illuminated arrow board, or cones warning of hazards.

The probe now covers 830,000 vehicles, almost everything that Austin, Texas, carmaker has sold in the U.S. since the start of the 2014 model year.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

It can be corrected, evolved and updated. Symbian based phones were very basic, calls and texts. Now you can use the Internet (online memory) watch/record videos, navigate, play games...Yes Humans program them, but the code can be evolved and won't be impacted with the issues raised.

You know and trust what you just typed magically appeard on this site for anybody around the World to view. You Diss technology whilst using it to do it.
    I'm not 'dissing' technology. There's nothing magical, it's a system of bits of code assembled into a website and an app on which to view that website. And sometimes - quite frequently in fact - it fails: what I've typed doesn't appear when I press 'post' and an error message is displayed. Sometimes the app crashes and sometimes the whole phone throws a fit and has to be restarted.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm not 'dissing' technology; I'm simply pointing out that code is only as good as the coder.

Given Musk's corner cutting at Twitter, I wonder if he knows what he's doing at Tesla.

I'm slightly reminded of how the 'solution' of Fermat's Theorem almost completely unravelled because of one line that didn't make sense to the chap who was entrusted with checking it out before publication.
  • It obviously isn't easy making a car. I expect every manufacture has recalled most of their models at some point, Tesla is only twenty years old. Are they pushing the limits too fast and hard, probably. Now they're going to have to really get the issues nailed. Pushing the limits is why SpaceX and Tesla have been so successful though, first principles.

It ain't for the faint hearted.
  • rjsterry

It obviously isn't easy making a car. I expect every manufacture has recalled most of their models at some point, Tesla is only twenty years old. Are they pushing the limits too fast and hard, probably. Now they're going to have to really get the issues nailed. Pushing the limits is why SpaceX and Tesla have been so successful though, first principles.

Space X has been successful. Am less convinced by Tesla.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• His "pick up for people who don't like pick ups" is destined for failure, surely.

• rjsterry
    Looks like it was designed by a 6-year-old.

I think the Simone Giertz version is better and that was homemade.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,068
    edited February 2023
    I don't understand how they expect that to be able to handle all the crash & impact tests.

Looks like it's straight out of carmageddon.

The reason modern cars look like they do is largely because they have to be able to fold and crumple and give in a certain way to pass the safety tests.

look at every modern bonnet and there will either be a crease up the middle or two about a 1/3rd of the way in, to help control the way it crumples.
  • briantrumpet

I don't understand how they expect that to be able to handle all the crash & impact tests.

The reason modern cars look like they do is largely because they have to be able to fold and crumple and give in a certain way to pass the safety tests.

look at every modern bonnet and there will either be a crease up the middle or two about a 1/3rd of the way in, to help control the way it crumples.

It also looks utterly lethal for anyone outside it who happens to be hit by it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984

It won’t hit anything though as a computer programmed by Musk will be driving it
  • Pross said:

It won’t hit anything though as a computer programmed by Musk will be driving it
    You mean it will catch fire before it gets anywhere near anyone?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,779
    rjsterry said:

It obviously isn't easy making a car. I expect every manufacture has recalled most of their models at some point, Tesla is only twenty years old. Are they pushing the limits too fast and hard, probably. Now they're going to have to really get the issues nailed. Pushing the limits is why SpaceX and Tesla have been so successful though, first principles.

Tesla seems quite popular judging by the number of them around. Personally, I'd want to be able to do some things without the touch screen though I'm weird like that.
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Tesla seems quite popular judging by the number of them around. Personally, I'd want to be able to do some things without the touch screen though I'm weird like that.

Nothing weird about that. I don't even trust touch screens to faultlessly display music for concerts, and much prefer paper.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

Nothing weird about that. I don't even trust touch screens to faultlessly display music for concerts, and much prefer paper.
    Yes there is, you're both using the Internet to communicate now, not using Royal Mail. Would that three button thingy trust you to play it flawlessly each time? I just want to emphasise it only has three buttons, one, two, three.

Three.

• I mean I cut a bit of slack for pianists.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

We live in London: an EV is a bit of a worthy status symbol.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,779

rjsterry said:

I doubt either of us are at the forefront of fashion though.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,981
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You might want to sit down to hear this.

They also have Tesla's north of Watford Gap.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,964
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

Certainly not alone. Given the state of the roads my hands are bouncing around if I try to use the touchscreen. I use the steering wheel buttons instead. Much easier, and safer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    Jezyboy said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Sure. But I suspect the density of Tesla owners per km2 is somewhat higher in Stoke Newington than Stoke on Trent.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The women I saw at the tyre place with a Tesla was using her phone to unlock the car and operate it. What happens if you have to leave the car at the garage, do you have to leave your phone as well.
    Or is this not an issue for Tesla owners as they are all dodgy and all have burner phones.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Sure. But I suspect the density of Tesla owners per km2 is somewhat higher in Stoke Newington than Stoke on Trent.
    Can I be that person that points out the population density is about 5 times greater in Stoke Newington and you'd be better using the metric of Teslas per head of population to prove your point? Needs a graph too.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,981
    I'd say they are a reasonably popular choice in my grotty Staffordshire market town.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    webboo said:

The women I saw at the tyre place with a Tesla was using her phone to unlock the car and operate it. What happens if you have to leave the car at the garage, do you have to leave your phone as well.
    Or is this not an issue for Tesla owners as they are all dodgy and all have burner phones.

What happens if the phone battery dies?
    Wilier Izoard XP