Musky

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,779

webboo said:

The women I saw at the tyre place with a Tesla was using her phone to unlock the car and operate it. What happens if you have to leave the car at the garage, do you have to leave your phone as well.
    Or is this not an issue for Tesla owners as they are all dodgy and all have burner phones.

What happens if the phone battery dies?
    Presumably she simultaneously loses her wallet, watch and keys. Foolproof tech.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,198

rjsterry said:

It obviously isn't easy making a car. I expect every manufacture has recalled most of their models at some point, Tesla is only twenty years old. Are they pushing the limits too fast and hard, probably. Now they're going to have to really get the issues nailed. Pushing the limits is why SpaceX and Tesla have been so successful though, first principles.

It ain't for the faint hearted.

Space X has been successful. Am less convinced by Tesla.
    Tesla seems quite popular judging by the number of them around. Personally, I'd want to be able to do some things without the touch screen though I'm weird like that.

Nothing weird about that. I don't even trust touch screens to faultlessly display music for concerts, and much prefer paper.
    Yes there is, you're both using the Internet to communicate now, not using Royal Mail. Would that three button thingy trust you to play it flawlessly each time? I just want to emphasise it only has three buttons, one, two, three.

Three.

Even though my life doesn't depend on a touch screen working flawlessly, I still prefer paper for that, and (thankfully) my life doesn't depend on posting on CS without the screen freezing.

How are the trumpet lessons going? Only three buttons, so you must be an expert now.
  • You have a key card which can open it, other manufactures do this too.

On a tangent, I do think cars have gotten ridiculously evolved in terms of gadgets and complexity. The driving force should be about efficiency, easy maintenance, recyclability and a small but safe footprint.

It makes me laugh a bit that cars are these moving testaments to consumption, yet homes haven't changed much, more just the contents. The roof should really produce electricity and heat water (main benefit for six months of the year) and the windows should always face south if viable, good insulation, triple glassing or at least a wide separation between panes.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,207
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

It obviously isn't easy making a car. I expect every manufacture has recalled most of their models at some point, Tesla is only twenty years old. Are they pushing the limits too fast and hard, probably. Now they're going to have to really get the issues nailed. Pushing the limits is why SpaceX and Tesla have been so successful though, first principles.

It ain't for the faint hearted.

Space X has been successful. Am less convinced by Tesla.
    Tesla seems quite popular judging by the number of them around. Personally, I'd want to be able to do some things without the touch screen though I'm weird like that.

Nothing weird about that. I don't even trust touch screens to faultlessly display music for concerts, and much prefer paper.
    Yes there is, you're both using the Internet to communicate now, not using Royal Mail. Would that three button thingy trust you to play it flawlessly each time? I just want to emphasise it only has three buttons, one, two, three.

Three.

Even though my life doesn't depend on a touch screen working flawlessly, I still prefer paper for that, and (thankfully) my life doesn't depend on posting on CS without the screen freezing.

How are the trumpet lessons going? Only three buttons, so you must be an expert now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI7bqsSW1IQ
    I thought about it, then realised with only three buttons to master I'd get bored too quickly then be left with it. I've got a pair of scissors in the draw and I'm getting tips from this video. Chuckem back and they don't go to waste.
  • I see a lot of
    Without you realising this exposes Musk as the absolute imposter he is and how it’s a case of the Emperors new clothes. Your man’s riposte of playing the potato peeler is a lot more relevant.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359
    Wow, Adams has a youtube channel with lots of antivax stuff too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,964
    Twitter still laying people off without even the courtesy to let them know, after the fact. 🤔 Must be a lovely company to work for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64871183
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,443
    pblakeney said:

Twitter still laying people off without even the courtesy to let them know, after the fact. 🤔 Must be a lovely company to work for.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64871183

The thread:

It's quite ridiculous.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,523
    If you scroll through the conversation between this 'Halli' bloke and EM, EM at one point says 'pics or it didn't happen'?
    Is that the sort of language befitting of a corporate boss?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,062
    pinno said:

If you scroll through the conversation between this 'Halli' bloke and EM, EM at one point says 'pics or it didn't happen'?

Out of interest, of the people on this thread, how many of them have worked for the entrepreneur founder of whichever company they're working for?
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

That's a comment from the account that took the screenshot, not musk.

The bit where musk puts a video in and asks "would you say you were a people person?" - that's real.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,198

pinno said:

The bit where musk puts a video in and asks "would you say you were a people person?" - that's real.

Eh?

• kingstongraham

pinno said:

Eh?

Haha - I didn't spot that bit ! He's an incredibly unserious man.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

pinno said:

Out of interest, of the people on this thread, how many of them have worked for the entrepreneur founder of whichever company they're working for?
    I’ve worked in 2 family businesses.
    One directly for the founder (small business) and one for the founders son (medium sized £80m p/a).

Pros and cons of doing so are largely as you expect. Tends to be second generation where problems lie unless the boss is a narcissist.
  • kingstongraham

pinno said:

I have, and I would expect that internally but not on a public forum.
  • pblakeney

pinno said:

4 times. One company you rarely saw them but I was reporting directly to the other 3.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,983

pinno said:

Me in 3 of my last 4 companies spanning the last 25 years. Why?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Can I stick my tongue out at you KG ? :smile:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,869

pinno said:

🖐🏻
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Pics or it didn't happen
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

Pics or it didn't happen
    This can be arranged.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,062
    Pross said:

pinno said:

In my own experience they behave how they want to behave and often it’s not very “corporate”.

Stuff like this musk stuff is at the extreme end of the spectrum but not wholly unexpected
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,983

Pross said:

pinno said:

In my own experience they behave how they want to behave and often it’s not very “corporate”.

Stuff like this musk stuff is at the extreme end of the spectrum but not wholly unexpected
    Not my experience. Two of the three companies grew quite quickly from a handful of people to around 50 or so and in both cases started becoming more corporate, bringing in things like Operations Manager / Director to get all the necessary policies in place even if they didn't really want to go that way from a personal point of view. They realised it was a necessity of growth and also that they couldn't be hands on with everything.
  • pblakeney
    As with everything else in life, experiences vary.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    To be clear, the guy in this thread who got sacked without being told about it was an entrepreneur as well. His new thread is golden.