Musky

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    And here's Musk endearing himself to businesses who are daring to ask questions & pause advertising:

• Unless his plan is to change the whole business and move to some completely different form of revenue, but there doesn't seem any sign of that.
  • briantrumpet

Unless his plan is to change the whole business and move to some completely different form of revenue, but there doesn't seem any sign of that.

Nah, he's just doing Cabbage Truss. Chutzpah & hubris rolled into one.
  • briantrumpet
    BTW, shoutout to @pinno for starting a new thread for this. Good to keep things organised! :smiley:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    A huge surprise that Musk's devotion to free speech only extends to matey chats with Russian politicians.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    rjsterry said:

A huge surprise that Musk's devotion to free speech only extends to matey chats with Russian politicians.

Stupid comes in many varieties.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

Sure but it’s a leveraged buy out. It’s not his cash. It’s his borrowed cash.

It sounds like debt was around a quarter of the purchase price. A bit more of the value.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Vanguard, Blackrock et al must be well happy to bank Muskrat's financial backers' cash. Ker-ching.

Is this S-IP individual one of the biggest con artists of current times? Here, I've got these increasingly rad ideas, c'mon gimme your money. Example, Tesla share price : actual earnings ratio history.
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry why are you talking about vanguard and BlackRock?
  • TheBigBean
    edited November 2022

Former shareholders who made a tidy some selling to Musk

Edit terrible spelling
  • orraloon

Former shareholders who made a tidy sum selling to Musk
    Correctamundo, 2 of the largest % equity holders prior to the buyout.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, you know it’s not their money, right?
  • Twitter co-founder and ex-CEO Jack Dorsey has addressed the mass sackings at his former firm, apologising for growing Twitter "too quickly".

Half of the social media giant's staff are being fired, a week after Elon Musk bought it in a $44bn deal.

Billionaire Mr Musk has said he had "no choice" but to slash the company's workforce as the firm is losing more than $4m (£3.5m) a day.

Twitter staff took to the platform to express their anger at the firings.

In a statement posted on the microblogging site, Mr Dorsey - who quit as CEO in November and left the board of directors in May - said Twitter staff "are strong and resilient. They will always find a way no matter how difficult the moment. I realize [sic] many are angry with me. I own the responsibility for why everyone is in this situation: I grew the company size too quickly. I apologize [sic] for that."

"I am grateful for, and love, everyone who has ever worked on Twitter. I don't expect that to be mutual in this moment...or ever…and I understand," he added.

His statement appeared to endorse the need for dismissals at the firm. The 45-year-old Mr Dorsey has been supportive of Mr Musk's takeover.

Back in April when Mr Musk first began his purchase of Twitter, Mr Dorsey said the 51-year-old was the "singular solution I trust" and that the South African's takeover was "the right path...I believe it with all my heart".

Mr Dorsey created Twitter in 2006 along with Evan Williams, Biz Stone, and Noah Glass. He sent the company's first Tweet, writing "just setting up my twttr".

The cuts have come across Twitter's 7,500-strong work force, and there are fears it could damage the firm's content moderation efforts.

Despite the dismissals Mr Musk has said the firm's policies remain "absolutely unchanged".

A host of major brands have halted advertising spending with Twitter in recent days, including Volkswagen, General Motors and Pfizer.

Almost all of Twitter's revenue currently comes from advertising, and Mr Musk has been looking for ways to cut costs and make money in different ways from the platform, including plans to charge a monthly $8 (£7) subscription fee for users to be verified on the platform.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63527893

Sorry it's a long quote, but it is relevant.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    If he does manage to kill Twitter, I wonder if he could be talked into buying facebook?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    I’m confused why he spent $44 billion buying something that’s losing $4 million per day (and, as far as I’m aware, has never made money).

Maybe the reason I’m destined to never be mega rich is I don’t see the opportunity in deals like this.
  • TheBigBean

You saying it's not Mr Vanguard and Mrs Rock?
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

I’m confused why he spent $44 billion buying something that’s losing $4 million per day (and, as far as I’m aware, has never made money).

Maybe the reason I’m destined to never be mega rich is I don’t see the opportunity in deals like this.

I think it went like this:

He didn't like Twitter censoring Trump.

He made an offer to buy it, out of hubris.

He then thought he could either force the price down, or back out.

A US court held him to the deal.

He's ended up with something he never really wanted, nor has the skill to run.

He's screwing everything up.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited November 2022
    Pross said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZZpaB2kDM
    12:30 in. In his own words.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I looked at that thread and it reminded me why I dropped Twitter 10 years ago.

It’s just a horrible medium of loads of noise. I find some interesting stuff linked through external sources that I will read, but I find myself wondering how (or why) anybody bothers sifting through the sheer volume of crap to find it.

Twitter is beyond my comprehension. I only ever used it for a while when club rides were being organised on it.

Mind you, it’s nice to be reminded that you haven’t changed your mind and missed out on something for years.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited November 2022
    morstar said:

I looked at that thread and it reminded me why I dropped Twitter 10 years ago.

It’s just a horrible medium of loads of noise. I find some interesting stuff linked through external sources that I will read, but I find myself wondering how (or why) anybody bothers sifting through the sheer volume of censored to find it.

Twitter is beyond my comprehension. I only ever used it for a while when club rides were being organised on it.

Mind you, it’s nice to be reminded that you haven’t changed your mind and missed out on something for years.
    I can understand that view point, I don't have an account myself, but I do find it useful to do key searches for bleeding/cutting edge info. To be honest the majority of tweets I see are from people quoting on here to backup their stance/argument.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,352

BTW, shoutout to @pinno for starting a new thread for this. Good to keep things organised! :smiley:

I was going to introduce this in another thread
    but I could already hear the discord in your head.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

I mean they just offer ETFs and indexes so it’s hardly them gaining, right?

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,929

Vanguard yes, but Blackrock offer a lot more than just ETFs.
  • orraloon

What I was indicating was the funds have locked away gains made on their gamble investments thanks to Saudi / whoever's cash backing of the muskrat before the bubble bursts.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Oh come on I’m not an idiot. I have met the various heads of the business af BlackRock.

They’re not big winners in this.

Why not list all the asset managers? The only reason BlackRock and vanguard are the biggest holders is because of their monster passive businesses.

We gonna go mention the big Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Funds while we’re at it?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    orraloon said:

What I was indicating was the funds have locked away gains made on their gamble investments thanks to Saudi / whoever's cash backing of the muskrat before the bubble bursts.
    They’re big shareholders because they have such monster passive businesses - they just buy everything for very low fees. It’s not so much a gamble as just holding everything.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,929

Oh come on I’m not an idiot. I have met the various heads of the business af BlackRock.

They’re not big winners in this.

Why not list all the asset managers? The only reason BlackRock and vanguard are the biggest holders is because of their monster passive businesses.

We gonna go mention the big Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Funds while we’re at it?
    Your post clearly implied that Blackrock only offer passives and ETFs. That is incorrect and I was picking you up on the incorrect statement. Nothing more.
    Don't get so defensive when something you post is picked up as not being clear or quite correct.
  • rick_chasey
    They’re not the biggest shareholders via their active business though are they?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Unsurprising

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63534240

Small shift so far which will either Peter out or be the change people thought couldn’t happen.