2022 Tour de Suisse, June 12th-19th. ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited June 2022 in Pro race
I'll be catching up with this one when I get back from my travels. Seems on paper to be the tougher of the two big Tour warm up races.

Top competitors

EVENEPOEL Remco
KÜNG Stefan
VLASOV Aleksandr
COSNEFROY Benoît
ULISSI Diego
YATES Adam
KRISTOFF Alexander
VAN BAARLE Dylan
HIGUITA Sergio
MATTHEWS Michael
MARTINEZ Daniel Felipe
IZAGIRRE Ion
LUTSENKO Alexey
HIRSCHI Marc

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    Any ideas on coverage for this race?

Doesn't seem that it's on eurosport
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    It's on GCN, so Discovery must have some rights. From memory, the Swiss races tend to have complex TV deals that means it isn't always available on the usual channels.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Eurosport player app showing TdS stage 1 1410-1610 UK time.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,077
    7 riders have 3:30 advantage on the peloton:
    VILLELLA Davide
    PEDERSEN Casper
    TEUNISSEN Mike
    JACOBS Johan
    SIMMONS Quinn
    HAGA Chad
    VITZTHUM Simon

Status from roadside: hot hot hot. All fans hiding under trees. Roadside fountains turned into beer coolers. All very Swiss and organised.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Breakaway going to get caught towards the last climb. Could be a fun finish.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    A win for Wales
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    So pleased for him, he's had such a tough start to his pro career.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Odd stage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Looking at Williams's statistics just now and he is 59kg at 1.83m. I'm very slightly taller and in my late teens / early 20s was around 10kg heavier despite being ridiculously skinny with single figure body fat and very little upper body muscle so I haven't got a clue how he can be so light!

A rarity amongst UK pros racing at the top level in that he never made the podium on the Junior Tour of Wales.
  • kingstongraham

Odd stage

With a suitably odd finish.
  • Pross said:

Looking at Williams's statistics just now and he is 59kg at 1.83m. I'm very slightly taller and in my late teens / early 20s was around 10kg heavier despite being ridiculously skinny with single figure body fat and very little upper body muscle so I haven't got a clue how he can be so light!

A rarity amongst UK pros racing at the top level in that he never made the podium on the Junior Tour of Wales.

Some of us are just freaks! If only I had the engine to go with it
  • red.rider
    GC casualties today: Pinot, Martinez, Uran, & Mäder drop 41s to the lead group, while Rohan Dennis drops over 12 minutes.
    I had to do a double take when I saw Dennis pass by alone in the convoy on the final climb, given he had the team leader’s number and his usual TdS performances.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Any chance of the top 10 on the stage?
  • red.rider

Any chance of the top 10 on the stage?

Front group of 15:
    WILLIAMS
    SCHACHMANN
    KRON
    HIRSCHI
    LUTSENKO
    VAN WILDER
    KÜNG
    HIGUITA
    YATES
    VLASOV
    FUGLSANG
    THOMAS
    EVENEPOEL

• red.rider
    Stage 2: Küsnacht-Aesch 198km
    Stage 2 starts where from yesterday's finish line and rolls in a westerly direction towards Baselland and the Jura with a couple of short, sharp hills along the way.

The riders will tackle the classic Basel climb of Gempen (5.6km @ 5.9%), before getting a first look at the finish line in Aesch with 50 km to go. Once they hit the Eichenberg (3km @ 7.6%) there's not much flat road left as they roll through the Jura foothills. The final challenge is the Challpass (6.3km @ 6.2%, with a double-digit finish), which tops out with 15km to go for a downhill run to the finish.

Should be one for the climby sprinters, but the big boys might struggle to get over the final two hills.

• kingstongraham
    I like the look of that finish - that last climb looks just hard enough to knock the sprinters back, and then a 15km descent for any lead group to stay away.

I don't think there are any pure sprinters in the race - except Cees Bol, and he doesn't really count.
  • red.rider
    edited June 2022
    Coverage starting in 10mins. The 9 man break have just reached the top of the first categorised climb with a gap of 6 minutes to the peloton. 70km to go, which might give some hope to the breakaway.

BOTD:
    SCHÄR Michael
    BASSO Leonardo
    RUTSCH Jonas
    BADILATTI Matteo
    HOLMES Matthew
    PELLAUD Simon
    SUTER Joel
    BURGAUDEAU Mathieu
    LEKNESSUND Andreas
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2022
    Five left in the break, just under 4 minutes with 40km to go.

Peloton not trying very hard yet.
  • red.rider
    20km and 2 minutes. But not much flat in those 20km…
  • kingstongraham
    2 minutes at 20km starting the climb.
  • kingstongraham
    And nobody in the peloton decided to bother. Leknessund out on his own.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    Bettiol LOL
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    No wonder no other teams came forward they didn't think there was any break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Race radio failure
  • Pross
    edited June 2022
    Either top trolling by Trentin or Bettiol still didn't realise a few minutes later.

Very strong ride that (Rich will be happy to see a ginger from the north pole winning in the heat).
  • andyp
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Bettiol gets relegated, he went left then right then and definitely impeded those behind him.
  • kingstongraham
    Weird - did they all think they were racing for the win?
  • Pross
    Williams should have just about retained the jersey.
  • mididoctors
    The standard of rider is getting so high you can't leave a break of 4+ out there with 2 mins with 20 k to go