• Jtomesgreen
    Jtomesgreen Posts: 190
    This is going to be a big day for those Ineos team mates. Fair play
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,690
    Bit like 2016
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Gap has stabilised but that could just be as both groups are effectively at terminal velocity, riding at around 70kph!!

There's going to be some tired riders by time that hit Arenburg let alone the finish.
  • Jtomesgreen

Bit like 2016

Was just going to say it was like the year after - or perhaps 2018. Everyone wanted to get in the break so much that no one managed to get away before the first sector. Electric first 90 mins
  • Jtomesgreen
    Cars coming into the gap
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Long chase
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jtomesgreen
    Commentators discussing the nature of the way Ineos and the front group are riding - even folks you'd describe as protected riders are taking turns while the big names caught out behind are biding their time. In any other race it wouldn't make sense but for this race at some point Van Der Poel or van Aert are going to have to make a big solo effort to get across, piles the pressure on those behind
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    "There's no other way to put it - it's a massive gap Rob"

Spot on from Blythe there 😆
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Commentators discussing the nature of the way Ineos and the front group are riding - even folks you'd describe as protected riders are taking turns while the big names caught out behind are biding their time. In any other race it wouldn't make sense but for this race at some point Van Der Poel or van Aert are going to have to make a big solo effort to get across, piles the pressure on those behind

JV don't seem to be making much of an attempt to bring it back. Doesn't seem to be any panic at all behind
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    Soupe's beard is majestic
  • bobmcstuff
    Average just shy of 48.7km/h so far - super fast start
  • Jtomesgreen
    gsk82 said:

JV don't seem to be making much of an attempt to bring it back. Doesn't seem to be any panic at all behind
    Yes and that's fair I suppose, the gap is stuck at around 1:15 for now. Fascinated to see how the first sector changes things
  • mididoctors
    Ganna sitting on a bit more
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jtomesgreen
    Comms have come round to my way of thinking - the leaders behind are going to have to do it themselves here. Clearly the gap won't come back on the road as the chase isn't going through and off
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Big crash in G2
    Pedersen down
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Will the second peloton see the front of the race again
  • blazing_saddles

The peloton? No chance.

Individuals might.
  • Jtomesgreen

Not now no
  • blazing_saddles
    The third sector might see a push from behind by the big boys as it's a 4 star sector and 3.7kms long.
  • mididoctors
    Serious effort to bridge
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Ganna puncture!
  • mididoctors
    Ganna puncture
  • Jtomesgreen
    Alpecin now laying it down on the front of the second group as Ganna is struck down by a puncture
  • Pross
    Trek taking themselves out of the game will seriously limit the chase behind. Biggest risk for the front group is likely to be if those working get fed up with the passengers. I think they're just tapping through now and saving a bit which is why the gap is staying consistent.
  • blazing_saddles
    Durbridge must think Kirby is commentating.
  • Jtomesgreen
    Durbridge attacks. Where is Kirby when you need him :s
  • Pross
    Would rather see Ganna putting that power down on the Carrefour sector!
  • mididoctors
    This could bring it back together
  • Jtomesgreen
    Ganna. What a unit.
  • Jtomesgreen
    Ganna rejoins the first bunch and the gap is down to 45 seconds as Ineos accelerates. Durbridges adventure off the front comes to an end