The Hell of the North 2022 ***Spoilers***

15678911»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    davidof said:

Think Lampaert is being a bit unfair to the spectator - 50:50 incident - the guy is not on the road after all.

He was on the tarmac in front of where the other spectators were standing. I think he was pretty idiotic tbh.

There are also barriers along most of that sector's length to stop riders riding on the smooth bit (tempted to call it the pavement) so it's clear Lampaert was off the course and most spectators are actually stood on that bit.

OK I accept it's good practice to take a step back when riders are passing but it's also good practice not to ride into spectators which is what Lampaert did there. Orla C was on about fining the guy - I'd like to see how that would go in court.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262

davidof said:

Think Lampaert is being a bit unfair to the spectator - 50:50 incident - the guy is not on the road after all.

He was on the tarmac in front of where the other spectators were standing. I think he was pretty idiotic tbh.

There are also barriers along most of that sector's length to stop riders riding on the smooth bit (tempted to call it the pavement) so it's clear Lampaert was off the course and most spectators are actually stood on that bit.

OK I accept it's good practice to take a step back when riders are passing but it's also good practice not to ride into spectators which is what Lampaert did there. Orla C was on about fining the guy - I'd like to see how that would go in court.
    I wouldn't go so far as to fine him for hitting the spectator.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

pblakeney said:

It’s a fairly simple basic principle. Don’t stand on the road during a road race.

Don't ride off the road during a road race.
    I guess it is pure luck that all the other spectators along the route managed to stay out of the way then. Being allowed to get so close to the participants has it's responsibilities.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It’s a fairly simple basic principle. Don’t stand on the road during a road race.

I guess it is pure luck that all the other spectators along the route managed to stay out of the way then. Being allowed to get so close to the participants has it's responsibilities.
    How many riders hit spectators?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

How many riders hit spectators?
    Could have been more if Lampaert hadn't knocked him out of the way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The race organisers are at fault here. By placing blocks every 10m or so they indicate that the riders aren't supposed to be on the tarmac strip, but they don't barrier it off properly, so riders try and use what's probably the smoothest bit of tarmac in the entire race. It could potentially be a dq for riders if it's clear what's part of the course and what isn't, but it's mixed messaging and becomes a grey zone.
    It's harsh to blame the spectator here, and for safety reasons you can't rely on them understanding how to watch a race - they may not realise the speed, how riders pick lines etc and they're standing in a field drinking all afternoon.
    Riders picking lines that close to spectators know the risk - this isn't the first crash and it won't be the last. It's not comparable to opi-omi woman (apart from the pile on), who wasn't even looking the right direction. This was a guy that got a bit too close in a poorly designed/barriered section and was a bit too slow getting out the way of a rider who was very close to the fans and expected them to move out the way
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    davidof said:

As I said previously when someone posted his rant it was entirely his own fault. He was looking to avoid riding the cobbles and, I think, looked over his shoulder.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    If they increased the number of barriers, it would reduce any tendency for riders picking the smooth stuff.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    I must say that all the sponsored flags (Spesh was noticeable) and pictures of past winners plus the barriers etc make for a very cluttered looking PR at times.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    It is literally tarmac it is part of the road. The deal is you can be on it if you know to step back when the riders come.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited April 2022
    The problem is that this isn't actually a road that gets used in real life. So it's impossible to to tell if the tarmac is road, pavement or bike lane. And it's impossible to tell if you're 250km into one of the hardest races of the year. But a spectator should allow room. Also don't spectate on the inside of a bend if you can help it as the view's not the best.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    I presume the tarmacked edge is to a) hold up the cobbles and b) allow for a bit of room for vehicles passing.
    I don't quite know what 'real life' means - they aren't closed for 364 days a year to traffic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    pinno said:

I don't quite know what 'real life' means - they aren't closed for 364 days a year to traffic.

I doubt it's used by much traffic though
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    It’s bad luck and you run the risk running close to fans but at the same time it’s obvious to anyone who watches the race is that riders will use *all the road*, not just the bit the armchair fans want them to use.
  • pinno
    RichN95. said:

pinno said:

I doubt it's used by much traffic though
    Mostly pick ups and tractors I presume.
    Locally, single track roads are being perennially hammered - as tractors get bigger, wider and heavier. I wonder if the roads departments in that region have to preserve/shore up the cobbles whilst still providing farming access.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Audrey Cordon discusses the parcours with Janine Butcher

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

It is literally tarmac it is part of the road. The deal is you can be on it if you know to step back when the riders come.

So why had they blocked most of it off?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    edited April 2022
    Isn't the tarmac there to allow use by normal cyclists throughout the year?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I've no strong feelings on the accident

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    gsk82 said:

Seems reasonable.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    pinno said:

gsk82 said:

Seems reasonable.
    Some of your "tarmac" seemed awfully narrow if it was put there for cycling use.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

So why had they blocked most of it off?
    To make it harder but that bit clearly wasn’t
  • Pajowa
    Pajowa Posts: 2
    Having ridden that sector a lot over the years it’s the only one I’ve always seen traffic on
    Have to say I’m amazed that there are not more accidents, riders in the gutters all day hoping every single person steps back at the last moment is a risk. Not against it, just saying
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

If they increased the number of barriers, it would reduce any tendency for riders picking the smooth stuff.

The spectator was doing a public service by volunteering as an extra barrier.
  • pinno

pinno said:

The spectator was doing a public service by volunteering as an extra barrier.
    But he should have laid down sideways.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023