RVV 2022 - May contain *Spoilers*

12345679»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    pinno said:

Meh. Not sure anything Pog could have done differently in the sprint. 99 times out of 100 MDVP beats him. Though it seemed to me there was a moment Pog could have went on the inside just before they were caught.

His achilles heel, preventing him from winning *everything* is he can't generate enough power to drop both WVA and MDVP on shorter steeper climbs.

He nearly dropped him
    Yes, Pog had to drop MvdP on a climb.
    He is a tour rider and doesn't quite have the engine for 272km's where you leave everything on the road. Strada Bianche was only 136km's.
    It's only a matter of time...

WvA vs MvdP Roubaix (with any luck)?

I thought what with MvdP missing most of the cross season after surgery that he wouldn't back to peak very quickly but how wrong was I.

I'd slightly disagree - I don't think the distance was an issue he just didn't have the top end power to weight to drop VDP on those relatively short climbs on the day. If the race had been 150km I couldn't see him doing it either.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Brilliant cycling era we have
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Apparently Van Baarle has attacked at basically the same place in the past four editions of the race (within a few 100m of each other)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Brilliant cycling era we have

Proper golden era.

For all the talk about MvdP and WvA - it was Pog who made it today. Unsure what MvdP plan was if Pog didn't take it up!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Sprint...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yeah but was he going to bring himself to the front of the race to contest the sprint, all by himself, and if so, when?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Yeah but was he going to bring himself to the front of the race to contest the sprint, all by himself, and if so, when?

whenever he felt like it tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330

pinno said:

Meh. Not sure anything Pog could have done differently in the sprint. 99 times out of 100 MDVP beats him. Though it seemed to me there was a moment Pog could have went on the inside just before they were caught.

His achilles heel, preventing him from winning *everything* is he can't generate enough power to drop both WVA and MDVP on shorter steeper climbs.

He nearly dropped him
    He is a tour rider and doesn't quite have the engine for 272km's where you leave everything on the road. Strada Bianche was only 136km's.

I thought what with MvdP missing most of the cross season after surgery that he wouldn't back to peak very quickly but how wrong was I.

I'd slightly disagree - I don't think the distance was an issue he just didn't have the top end power to weight to drop VDP on those relatively short climbs on the day. If the race had been 150km I couldn't see him doing it either.

So are you suggesting Pog hasn't got the tactical nous (yet) or he can't capitalise on the short climbs; they are just not long enough to shed puncheurs?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    pinno said:

pinno said:

He nearly dropped him

So are you suggesting Pog hasn't got the tactical nous (yet) or he can't capitalise on the short climbs; they are just not long enough to shed puncheurs?
    Not long enough IMO. I can power up a short steep climb but Galibier etc burns me out. Just a puncher's opinion not claiming any comparison. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    pinno said:

pinno said:

He nearly dropped him

Yes that the shorter climbs suit VdP more than they suit Pogacar.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    [Emptying the friikin drafts folder]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!